OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

sightron s2 vs ellite 4200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sightron s2 vs ellite 4200
    Posted: May/06/2006 at 10:17
It is impossible to submit OK the message

Sorry, but I have had to write it in more than one post ¿?¿?¿? Now I am spamming, so I will finish it later

lagarto308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2006 at 10:40
Hi all, this is from Spain. It is my first message in this forum.

Here, in Spain and Europe we use to buy top riflescopes, like Swaroski, Zeiss, Khales,S&B (about 1800 euros) or Docter,Meopta,top Nikon as second class. The main reason is to hunt in low light conditions and also by night (according to the law here in Spain).

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2006 at 10:43
I have a Blaser OffRoad 308w + swaroski 2,5-10x56 IR for hunting purposes. Recently I has bought another rifle from a friend, a Sako 30-06, I did not need another rifle, but it was a very good oportunity: it is as new one and the price was very cheap (650 euros including mounts, scope, leather riflecase, and a fantastic aitor "monteria" knive with leather case,
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2006 at 10:44
all new for 1800euros), but the scope is an awful Tasco 3-9x32 (with 1" EAW/Apel mounts). So, I would like to change the scope but I'd like to spend as less money as possible.

A few months ago I bought a Minolta binocular 7x50 activa WP FP for 160$ recommended by a hunting friend, and I was very surprised because of it quality very similar to a zeiss

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2006 at 10:44
classic 8x56 of my father (testing at nights with & without moon for me, my family and some friends). So, I have been looking in usa-internet for a enough good riflescope with interesting quality-price ratio.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2006 at 10:45

My options are:
- Bushnell Elite 4200 2,5-10x50 MultiX 1" tube (I like more the german 4a IR model, but it is only 30mm then I can not reuse the rings)
- Sightron S2 1,5-6x42 Plex 1" tube (more universal use, so for use in quick shoots in our spanish classic hunting "Monteria" )
- Sightron S2 ...x50 any model

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2006 at 11:03
Bushnell Advantages are the rainguard and a slighty more light transmission, and Sightron ones are the price and the universal 1,5-6x42 option. The price is not the most important, all of them are enough affordable because here in Spain the scope prices are higher (i.e. the Bushnell one is about 700eur - more than 800$).

Any other option will be wellcome

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2006 at 11:04

I had never heard anything about Sightron before to read this forum. I think both scopes are widely used in USA, so with your knowhow I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance & Regards
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2006 at 19:59

Igarto

I would go with a Sightron of your choice.  I would love to be able to afford the European scopes you mention!

I own a Sightron and would buy another.  I don't know if the US internet stores will ship to Spain, but check it out.

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2006 at 15:24
Thanks, army_eod.

Nobody else has tested a bushnell elite 4200 vs sightron s2?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2006 at 19:41

I own both SIghtron S2 and Elite 4200 scopes.  Both are durable scopes with good adjustments.  Elite 4200 has somewhat better glass, but Sightron S2 has longer eye relief and larger adjustment range.

If it is wet where you hunt, then Elite 4200 rainguard coatings are very helpful.

ILya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2006 at 16:12
Thanks, ILya.

Have you tested both at low light conditions (including night with a little moon)?

I cannot appreciate the focus ring in the sightron. Can you focus it?

Regards
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2006 at 16:33

I looked at both in low light.  I had not proble mfocusing either one.  Elite 4200 is a little brighter in low light if you use the same scope configuration.

ILya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2006 at 16:53
Thanks again. I will purchase the bushnell except if I think that I will use the rifle mainly for "monteria" (daytime & animals running quickly & from zero to 60-70meters).
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2006 at 17:50

For that purpose there is really not a lot of difference between these scopes.  If the price is the same, go with Elite 4200.  I'd be choosing between SIghtron S2 1.5-6x42 and Elite 4200 1.5-6x36.

ILya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 16:07
I think the FOV of S2 1,5-6x42 is poor, only 50ft, any similar european scope (meopta, khales, swaroski, zeiss) has near to 80ft. The Bushnell 2,5-10x50 has a FOV of 40ft, only a little less than de S2 one and only a little less than similar european scopes. I think my best choice would be the bushnell x50. The x36 is small lens.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 16:20
I'd argue that at 1.5x and with fast moving animals you should be keeping both eyes open which makes field of view pretty irelevant.  As for the lens size, it depends on magnification.  At 5x and below you will see absolutely no difference between 36mm lens, 42mm lens and 50mm lens.  At 6x anything over 42mm makes no difference.  Larger lens only makes a difference at higher magnifications (and of course if you are trying to impress people who do not anything about scopes).

Also, one of the reasons for Sightron's narrower field of view is the fact that it has lnger eye relief.  Typically for large field of view you have to sacrifice some eye relief and vice versa.  All the European scope you mention have eye relief around 75mm, while SIghtron has eye relief of around 100mm or just over that.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 18:25
Hi, again. Some months later I purchased the sightron sII 1,5-6x42, just received today. I'd like to test this brand unknown in my country, and also because the elite 4200 2,5-10x50 is very similar to my swaro 2,5-10x56. I will update you after real field test. Thanks for all your help.
jackG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2006 at 10:19

Lagarto - I recently put a Sightron S2 3X9-42 on a pretty hard kicking 270 wsm. I've not hunted with it, but I got it to the range and broke in the barrel.  The Sightron is very clear and bright.  I've not tried in low light conditions, but the day was pretty grim here in the pacific northwest, dark and overcast (typical for this time of year). It did an excellent job.  I'll need to use it in actual hunting conditions to see how it works, but so far, I'm impressed with it. 

Let us know how yours works out for you. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2007 at 14:14
Just mounted in the sako. Excelent eye relief. I can see a large park outside my windows ... tonight I tested the old tasco with the swaro 2,5-10x56 and the sightron s2 1,5-6x42, all of them at x6 mag., the park has some lights, so the conditions are not real, but with some areas very dark. I could see almost nothing with the tasco, very very good with the sightron, more or less like the swaro. I am very impressed with it. Anyway I suppose with only the moon or stars light the swaro will be better than sightron. But the most important I think it is an scope with an excellente price-quality ratio.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic