OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Leupold mark ar mod 1 6-18x40mm p5 dial riflescope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold mark ar mod 1 6-18x40mm p5 dial riflescope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airman23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold mark ar mod 1 6-18x40mm p5 dial riflescope
    Posted: May/22/2013 at 16:53
Well after weeks of research I've narrowed it down to two choices. the Leupold mark ar mod 1 6-18x40mm p5 dial riflescope (MilDot) or the Nikon M-223 3-12x42mm SF Riflescope (BDC) to go on top of my Bushy A3 20" flattop. Both are within my price range, both are from Top tier name brand manufacturers, both have lifetime warranties and both are highly rated by end users so I'm putting it out there to you who probably know more about this than I do, I'm an entry level precision shooter. The Nikon seems to me to be the better value as far as features but the Leupold is a Leupold and I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service. On competitor.com the Nikon goes for $496 with the M-223 mount. The Leupold goes for about the same amount without the mount. So which shall it be? Please give me your opinions and experiences on this matter. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2013 at 19:09
To put it bluntly, both are fairly mediocre scopes for the money and you can do better.  Be that as it may, since you have settled down on these two, they are not really a direct comparison since the magnifications are notably different. Also, you picked two rather dissimilar configurations.  If you want to have an applies to apples comparison, you should pick somewhat similar magnification ranges (for example, 3-12x42 Nikon and 4-12x40 Leupold).

Between these two, the Monarch has better optics, but Leupold has better turret feel.  Aside from that, pick the one that has the reticle that agrees with you.  I happen to like the MilDot, but I am not a big fan of Nikon's BDC reticle.  That is a personal choice, however.

Now, best I can tell, you are looking in the approximate price range of $500 or so.

For a beginning precision shooter, the best options I can think would be:

If you are dead set on a variable scope (which is not necessarily optimal for precision shooting in your price range):
with the same mount I mention above, except you would need a 1" version for the 1" scopes.

Do not skimp on a mount.  It will come back to bite you.

ILya

airman23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airman23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2013 at 00:48
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I've been stuck studying for finals. How would you rate the glass in the SWFA SS MRAD against the Nikon as far a brightness and clarity? I'd love to get away with a less expensive scope if possible but of course I don't want to sacrifice on quality I've never heard of this brand before so I'm somewhat nervous about sinking $300 or more into a scope from manufacturer that I'm not familier with. I've also found some scopes from a outfit called Primary arms like this one.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_16X44_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Scope_p/pa416x.htm
and they seem to get some good reviews from their clientele, what do you think.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2013 at 10:49
I would take a SS over the Nikon or Leopold you listed any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Do a search on this site for the SS scopes. And as far as the Primary Arms scopes I would not even consider it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic