OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What ranch rifle????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What ranch rifle????
    Posted: May/19/2013 at 08:46
Well I got some cabelas points burning a hole in my pocket. I need a beater ranch rifle. Somthing I can keep on my gun rack of atv while working on my new property. This will be for varmint/predator control and oh ya I rescently found hog sign too! This rifle will be a true work horse that ideally I could use to run hog and predator traps as well. So what you boys suggest? My gut tells me a 17hmr synthetic/stainless with a Burris 2-7. What else is out ther? I will sometimes use this on the fly so somthing that doesn't blow out my ear drums would be ideal. Can 17hmr be shot safely without ear protection?

Don't be shy boys! Also don't want a high end rifle cuz it will get beat up!
Dont take yourself to seriously
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 09:05
.22-250
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 11:04
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

.22-250

Concur. I'd probably opt for .223 and did for my truck gun.
I like and have a .17 HMR, but it will lack the punch of a .223 or .243 for hogs and such.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 12:26
I am going to say just a basic Savage 243. Just about every gun store I have been in still has that ammo in stock. And that is saying something these days! Put a basic 2-7 on it and you have a nice light handy hunting rig. http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x35-Diamondback-Rifle-Scope-P11235.aspx
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 14:57
My truck gun, complete with truck and tool box. 

A couple of things I considered along with the caliber was barrel length, (short), 100% feeding reliability, and a lower magnification optic with a lit reticle.  

Remington SPS Tactical in .223, with HS stock, PT&G detachable magazine, AI 10 round mag and Leupold VX-R 3-9x Fire Dot. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 15:14
Oh....and the wonderful Talley LW's. Big Grin 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 15:34
Nice Mark, is that Black Beauty?

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 15:45

This is Rachel's .243, I'd say this would make a very nice ranch rifle as well. It also has Talley LW's... that hold a 2-7x36 scope.    Bandito
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 16:23
I would get a Savage "Hog Hunter" bolt-action rifle. These are short, light, and they have a synthetic stock that you can literally beat the crap out of and you wouldn't care. Also has the "accutrigger", and comes with sling studs and open sights (great for a ranch rifle). And potentially best of all, depending on your state laws, they come with a threaded barrel for the addition of a suppressor.

These come in .223, .308, and IIRC .338. Either of the first two calibers would be fine, depending of course on how big your hogs are...
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 17:26
LOL, rifles can be like golf clubs or fishing rods!! Not sure if a .308 would be my every day choice for a ranch rifle targeting varmints and predators but the OP did later say hogs are a possibility; Savage makes a very good product and would be a good choice as well, the threaded barrel sounds interesting if state law allows.

There's are a lot of options out there, my daughter's rifle is an X-Bolt Micro and is a nail driver. Because it's a Micro it's a real nice compact rifle, 6#'s without scope and rings, 20" barrel, and comes in composite stock, SS too (she chose old school blued/wood which I thought was pretty cool). Mark's rifle I believe has a 20" barrel as well, Remy probably the most upgradeable platform out there and kicks butt. There's a lot of great choices out there. Thunbs Up

(edited for grammar)

Edited by mike650 - May/19/2013 at 19:37
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 18:12
Like PhilR above said, I'd take a hard look at the savage
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 19:32
I would be looking at a Mossberg MVP in 223 for a rifle that would very well see hard use. Plus I like the fact that they take AR15 mags. And a Leupold VXR 2-7 with a firedot 4 reticle.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 20:45
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

I would be looking at a Mossberg MVP in 223 for a rifle that would very well see hard use. Plus I like the fact that they take AR15 mags. And a Leupold VXR 2-7 with a firedot 4 reticle.

That's a cool rifle! If they ever make it in .308, I would have to give it serious consideration.....
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 00:17
When you started talking about shooting hogs with it the 17Hmr didnt make the grade. Use hearing protection with every firearms if you possibly can.  When I hear the term "ranch rifle" the first thing that pops into mind is winchester and marlin lever actions which were available in a variety of calibers. The next thing that comes to mind is the Ruger Mini 14, 30 & 6.8spc.  To me the ranch rifle concept is a short barrel rifle capable of serving multiple tasks.  If you are wanting to use the rifle for hogs the cartridges that come to mind are definately not .22 cal no matter how much powder one puts behind a .22 it is still a relatively light weight bullet and hogs are big heavy tough critters where you need some penetration. While I do not know how much of an issue snakes are on your property I would think that a cartridge which has some snake shot loads available might be desirable so something like a .357 mag or 44 mag might make a lot of sense.  Ruger makes some bolt actions that are short handy little rilfes about an inch and a half longer than a ruger ten-twenty-two:  77/44 and 77/357 which might serve your purpose nicely. http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine/index.html
Cat. # Mod. # Caliber Cap. Stock Barrel
Length
Overall
Length
Weight    
K77/44-RSP 7402 44 Rem Mag   4 Black Synthetic 18.50" 38.50" 5.25 lbs.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/20/2013 at 00:22

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 08:37
Now I really can't make up my mind. All of the above suggestions are great. I am leaning toward a bolt 223. The moss berg MVP is nice but almost to pretty for this job. I may look for somthing used in a pawn shop.
Dont take yourself to seriously
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 09:45
To bad Ruger does not make the M77 in 6.8 spc any more.  That would be a great truck gun caliber IMO.  A bit more umph than the .223 but still very moderate in the recoil department.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 10:32

My .223 would be a pretty good ranch rifle, if I had a ranch!!!Bucky But I would be interested in the new 17wsm in a Savage B Mag.

Remington XCR Compact tactical .223 -factory with trynite finish, 20" barrel, custom shop trigger, BC medalist stock. I have an EGW base and Burris Xtreme tactical rings. It is super accurate, taken 16 deer , 1 hog, and several varmints. It is not real light but handles very well with the short barrel. The trynite finish is super tough. BUT it is really-really loud !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 12:46
Nice rifles, Men.

No Mike, this rig name is Gloria.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 13:56
I'm surprised the .204 isn't getting more love.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 15:23
.204 for  HOGS thats lighter than the .223 bullets. Actually the .243 Savage makes a huge amount of sense mainly because you can still find ammo for it.   The .223 is a bit tricky to find ammo for right now, and the .243 will shoot a 100 gr bullet.  I personally  have a hard time going to something less powerful that .308 and yesterday when I went to the farm I took a 300 WSM but it all depends on size of the critter and distance because in bear country a heavy .30 cal or larger would be preferable.  Also for a truck gun Im not so sure you need a scope if it will be treated roughly. I tend to like something relatively short that I can get turned around inside the truck. To me that is 16 to 20 in barrel rifles. Ive looked over the Ruger 77 in 44 mag and it would seem to be a handy little rifle especially in stainless.   I had a 44mag Win 94 and regret tradeing it on another rifle.  Ive been looking for another lever gun possilby 45-70 or .357 mag in stainless if I could find one.  Oh well I'll make due as I do have a pistol in 44mag which is what I use for that purpose.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/20/2013 at 15:35

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic