OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope recommendation for Savage Predator Max

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope recommendation for Savage Predator Max
    Posted: May/18/2013 at 12:34
As you can see, I am asking a lot of questions all at once, but I am really excited about this site because there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here and I am getting a real education about scopes.

The Predator is in 260 Rem caliber and I will use it for long range shooting but will also want to use it for hunting, varminting and deer.  I prefer illumination with this one as well.

Thanks
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 02:20
I'm thinking about a Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15 or 3-18 with the BRH-1 reticle.  Are there any other brands I should consider?

Thanks
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 07:16
Leupold 3-18x44 VX-6 30mm Riflescope

Leupold 3-18x44 VX-6 30mm Riflescope

This scope will meet all your needs.  Also available in 3-18X50 if you would rather have the 50
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 09:57
Thanks.  I just read reviews on these scopes and they look to be very impressive.  How do I decide between the 44 and 50mm objective?  There is a 1000yd range near me that I want to use, but I also want to hunt with it.  Long range predators/varmints.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 10:47
Originally posted by cmdc cmdc wrote:

I'm thinking about a Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15 or 3-18 with the BRH-1 reticle.  Are there any other brands I should consider?

Thanks

In that price range I would be going with a Kahles 3-12.

http://swfa.com/Kahles-3-12x50-Competition-K-312-II-34mm-Riflescope-P60703.aspx

Here is a link to a review.

http://www.opticstalk.com/kahles-k312-review_topic35232.html
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 11:11
Thanks, guys.
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 17:04
The main difference you can mount the 44 a little lower on the rifle.  Other than that it is personal preference.
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 19:44
I'll go with the 44mm then.

Thanks
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 21:06
There is a tad more difference. While one major reason to stay with a smaller objective is to allow it to be mounted closer to the rifle which may help with cheekweld the other factors that one should use to make an educated decision is that the larger objective will often be brighter in low light. The human eye can dialate to about 7mm in low light so if you take a 6x42 scope divide the 42 by 6 you get 7mm exit eye pupil and it will be as bright as you might be able to use.  since 7x7 is 49 a scope with a 50mm objective will be brighter on powers higher than 7x not a huge difference but some.  The thing to remember here is that when it gets dark dial your variable power scope down to about 6x and it will look brighter.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 21:08
Originally posted by cmdc cmdc wrote:

Thanks
Unless you need tactical knobs I think the 3-18 Swarovski would be the pick of the litter.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2013 at 08:32
OK.  Thanks
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2013 at 09:44
Charles, I agree with Urmaginaryfrnd.
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2013 at 22:46
Thanks guys.  
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2013 at 22:47
BRH reticle?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic