OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42
    Posted: May/16/2013 at 22:19
I am a new member, and I just purchased this scope with the 4-A reticle.  My original intent was to mount it on a Bushmaster Predator, but after getting the scope and looking at it, I am wondering if it is the right scope for that application.  I'm wondering if this scope would be better suited for a larger caliber rifle, and if so, what would you recommend; and also, what would be a good scope for the Predator, which is 5.56 caliber?

Thanks
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 22:27
Welcome to OT.
What is your intent with the rifle, hunting, target, etc....and what yardage range do you plan on spending most of your time shooting the rifle...this information will help others give you there opinions and experience with optics for your rifle and its intended uses.   
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 22:33
Oh and as for the scope I don't think it is to much of a scope for an AR. However if you plan on using it to predator hunt. I personally like a true 1x scope. I would suggest a 1-6.
I personally like Swavroski scope but there are some very nice 1-6 scope out there for less money. 
for a great scope at half of the cost look at the SWFA SS line there 1-6 is nice.
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 22:56
My uses for the scope will be hunting pigs and deer, and shooting targets.  Would it be well-suited to a Ruger Hawkeye 308 or a Savage 243?
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 22:57
Or is it more deserving of a higher-end rifle?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 23:37
Its your rilfe you can scope it with whatever you want but some scopes are better suited to certain specific jobs.  That  scope will work nicely on the AR or the Savage. When I think of Ruger I tend to think of rifles designed to take alot of abuse but most Rugers that I have had were just not as accurate as the Savages I have had.  For an AR my favorite scope is a Trijicon ACOG or Compact ACOG  but their Accupoint 1-4x also makes a lot of sense and I have one on a .223 bolt action.  I tend to like an illuminated optic on an AR because of the likelyhood that it might be used in low light or at night. If I had a great scope like the  Z6i I would probably put it on the .243 Savage but it would work fine on the AR also unless you want illumination.  The Aimpoint Comp M4s is also a fine choice for an AR.
The Ruger I would probably put a fixed 6x42 on it either an FX3 Leupold or a IOR Valdada.
When you put that much money into an optic it should be on whatever rifle you use the most so unless you spend most of your time shooting some specifica heavy caliber Im thinking that the .243 would probably  be a great choice for where to put it.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 00:11
Thanks.  That makes sense.  It is illuminated.  As for the Ruger, it is a blued, wood gun.  I hadn't thought of a fixed power.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 06:52
I consider that Swaro Alpha scope as one of the best all around hunting scopes...period. You are certainly free to do as you wish, but I'd keep it for a primo rifle...like a Cooper for example. Imagine that potential. Good luck and welcome to the OT Forum! Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 09:34
Thanks, bugsNbows.  As it happens, I have a Blazer R8 in 6.5x55 Swede, but it is located at another residence out of state.  That rifle is probably more deserving of that scope.  I was wanting to find a rifle here(FL),  but since I'm left handed, and insist on left handed bolt guns, I haven't had any luck finding something at that level.  Well, I did find a new left hand Weatherby Accumark, but it is chambered in 300 Wby Mag, and that is total overkill for my needs.   
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 10:30
While it is certainly not a tactical scope, you can use it on what ever you choose.

Arguably the best scope in production right now. There isn't much that can contend with it, IMO.

Pigs here are noctural, so the illumination with the Z6 will help you greatly.

I say, leave it on there.

Welcome 
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 11:26
Skylar, which rifle were you referring to when you said leave it on there.  I ask because right now it isn't on any rifle.  I was throwing out several rifle options.  Sorry for the confusion.

I really appreciate you guys' advice here.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 11:30
To your m4. Originally you stated you wanted to utilize it on your M4.

I apologize, didn't mean to create any confusion.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 14:50
Originally posted by cmdc cmdc wrote:

Thanks, bugsNbows.  As it happens, I have a Blazer R8 in 6.5x55 Swede, but it is located at another residence out of state.  That rifle is probably more deserving of that scope.  I was wanting to find a rifle here(FL),  but since I'm left handed, and insist on left handed bolt guns, I haven't had any luck finding something at that level.  Well, I did find a new left hand Weatherby Accumark, but it is chambered in 300 Wby Mag, and that is total overkill for my needs.   

The Blaser is a gem and would be a great home for that scope. I do like the Weatherby Mark V, although they are a bit heavy. That's fine for the big magnums but less than fine (IMO) for the milder options. The Mark V Ultra Lightweight say in the .257 Wby mag would likely be sweet. Another one of my favorites is Sako. The 85 classic or greywolf really attract me. I have a Sako 75 that is awesome, and had an 85 Finnlight that I recently sold. What are you looking for in terms of caliber?
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 06:24
A Weatherby Mk V Ultra Lightweight 257 would be an awesome rifle for that scope.  
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 09:24
Thanks for all of the replies, they are very helpful and appreciated.  As to caliber, where I am(FL), I don't need or want an ubercaliber rifle.  My personal favorite is the 260 Remington.  I like the 6.5s, which is why I got the Blazer in the Swede.  I just yesterday ordered a Savage Predator Max left hand in 260 here in FL.  I have a preference for short-action calibers in general.  

I don't know much about the 257 Wby Mag., but would be interested if I could find a left-hand version. What is recoil like, compared to other calibers?  I am not recoil sensitive, just curious.

The Savage I mentioned above has very good long range capability.  Do you think the 1.7-10 is enough for a long range scope, or should I put on a scope with higher magnification and turrets, etc., and put the Swaro on the Blazer?

Thanks, and sorry for being all over the map here.  
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 18:45
I think mine is similar to my 06
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 08:19
The Z6 should be fine for most shooting you'll do with the Savage unless you're shooting really far distances.  I'd try it first and see how well you like it.  I think you'll be surprised as to how far you can shoot with a 10x max power.
cmdc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmdc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 12:15
OK, please bear with me here.  I know I'm all over the map on this topic, but I've made some changes in the lineup.  I just ordered a Browning x-bolt in 7mm-08 along with the Savage Predator in 260 Rem.  

Now I'm thinking about putting the Swaro on the Browning and getting something else for the Savage, because I wand to shoot the Savage long range.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this, and on what I could put on the Savage.  I want to use it for long range as I said, both hunting, including varmint shooting, and target.  Illuminated reticle.

I started two new threads regarding the Browning and the Savage, but no responses yet.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic