OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 870 Tactical

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 870 Tactical
    Posted: May/14/2013 at 07:55
Anyone got one?  I just stumbled onto one and picked it up. Got it for $430 shipped in like new condition.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 08:33
Don't own one (convicted felons can't own guns), but what do you want to know?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 09:01
Decent guns?  I mean I have several field type 870's including the first gun I was ever given by my dad which was an 870 wingmaster in 20 gauge.  All of them are super reliable and never an issue.  Is the tactical just as dependable and good to go?  Anything needed to be done to it to make it a better home defense gun?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 09:09
Send it to Red Jacket.  I saw an episode where they made their own house 870 by just putting different furniture on it.  It will be way cooler if you have them put a different stock on it.   Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 09:21
You watch redjacketBucky  We won't judge
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 09:41
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 10:44
Bd, you really know how to kill a thread.

Tactical guns should as, if not more reliable than any other 870. For a HD gun you might add a light and fiber optic front sight. If you don't have a speed feed stock, then a shell caddy or side saddle might be nice. Other than that your GTG.

I think Surefire makes a fine forearm with a built-in light.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 11:27
I was wondering about a side saddle.  Does the ergos of it seem to work ok? Would a buttstock that had them on it be better?
 Any recommendations on sights specifically?
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 12:06
I would be looking at Wilson Combat for accessories or if you like going over the whole gun. I picked up a Wilson Combat that was based on the 870. Very nice and the trigger job they do is excellent. And I would be using a side saddle it is easier to get to the shells. Also Wilson Combat armor tuffed a longer barrel so I could use it for hunting.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 12:37
Remington makes/markets a speed feed stock for the 870. We had them for our patrol shotguns. They hold 4 rounds, 2 on each side of the stock. It makes for a cleaner, smoother shotgun with fewer things to catch on clothes or pajamas. A side saddle can hold more rounds and is faster to use (it's right there next to the loading and ejection ports), but it adds width and corners to the shotgun, and it could get caught in your PJs and you could be shooting at a bad guy with your belly button exposed (damn, I miss emotorcons).
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 20:00
I would consider using a nylon side saddle instead of the normal plastic ones. They just velcro on the side allowing easy access to the pins for disassembling. They are also used a lot in 3-gun competitions.  To me they are more consistent for reloading than plastic and wont drop your shells as most plastic ones are prone to do over time or from recoil. 

Mesa tactical makes some great shotgun accessories. 

Is the shotgun a police tactical or just tactical?

I have a 870 that has the nylon saddle and light with a old ATN red dot on top for my HD gun. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 07:50
IT is the express tactical, newer one.  haven't gotten my hands on it yet.  I just felt I had to have a "tactical" shotgun in case of a zombie attack that they want us to believe is comingLoco lol  Just kidding in all seriousness I just wanted one that I could leave behind the bedroom door instead of the blackout.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 08:29
Don't know about the Express Tacticals, but a friend of mine has a couple of 870 Express models in 12 and 20Ga.. He's had a little trouble with reliable feeding with the 20Ga.
ConditionZero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConditionZero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 11:50
heres two of my 870s ...the desert recon i sold (regret that) and the black one i just bought last month.... sighted it in a couple weeks ago and thought id hate an optic on a shotgun but im diggin it... best pump/all around shotgun for the money  

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 14:22
I'm looking for a deal on a used Rem Police.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
macvrlamm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvrlamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 20:37
I have the tac model love it, turkeys hate it.
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 20:43
I am a Remington Armor for my Dept. What they don't tell you is that unless you get a "police" model some of the parts are MIM parts. I do not remember on the normal tactical versions but believe they are MIM parts. I have shot several hundred rounds through my non police model and not had a problem. All of the part are fine. However since it is for home defense, I would look at the extractor and see if you can see the mill marks on it. If is not I know Brownells and the like sell the extractors and even mark them as "blah blah blah extractor non-MIM". (sorry if I violated the competitor policy by mentioning Brownells, but thought that only applied to a competitor selling the same merchandise as SWFA)

Even though the MIM part would work fine as a personal defense weapon I just would not want to take that chance. So i would spend the 15 or so dollars and get the milled extractor. I changed mine out for my Personal Defense gun, but not my others and have had no problems with any of them. 

Just my thoughts.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 07:23
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I'm looking for a deal on a used Rem Police.
after reading a bunch about all the different ones I settled on this one as only a few parts are different.  I looked for the police first and the prices just made me settle back down.  Originally was going to get another mossberg 500 with the extended mag tube or a Nova tactical but with the aftermarket world for the 870 I stuck with what I knew.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 08:32
I actually prefer the 500. Not saying its better, but I do like the breach safety. Mine has been 100% reliable.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 14:13
I used to use a shotgun a lot more than I do now but as far as the 870 goes the black plastic stock is fairly light weight plastic.  It is easily removed there are two phillips screws holding on the recoil pad and there is a long bolt with a screwdriver slot that holds it to the reciever.  MagPul makes a much heavier duty stock for it or there are other options including the wooden stocks all of which seem more sturdy than the black plastic one.   The extractor mentioned above also sounds like a good choice. Thanks TRP . I like the look of the muzzle device above although it might be a pain to get it installed. I tend to be fond of the Keep It Simple Stupid school of thought so I dont add a lot of extra crap hanging onto a shotgun because I want is light fast and simple.  Also worth note regarding shotguns at extremely close range: when you discharge a shotgun pressed against an attacker you get "Blow Back" the suction created as the round discharges sucks blood and matter back into the barrel. If however you have a device such as the muzzle device above or if you use an extended tube mag that extends at least an inch past the barrel then you get "Blow By" and the result is that your barrel is not full of matter that could cause the next round to rupture the barrel. I can also say from experience that during high stress upon shooting the first shot if you dont get a good solid stroke on pulling the pump back to eject the spent case that you can trap the spent case in the chamber jamming the shotgun.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic