OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 6x42 for 338 Win Mag?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 21:00
I would go with the Leupold, either the 6X36 or 6X42.

Both Leupolds would be lighter and more compact than the 6X42 SS. The SS 6X42 is a large 30 mm scope having exposed adjustments that are subject to being inadvertantly moved in certain situations such as working through thick brush and would need to be constantly checked to assure the settings had not been changed. In addition to elevation and windage adjustments the SS 6X42 has a rear parallax adjustment that in some circumstances would need adjustment. The SS 6X42 having a 30 mm tube could not be mounted as low as the 1 inch tube Leupold.

As this is going on a .338 W it needs to be recoil resistant and considering the lighter weight of the Leupold it would be subject to lower recoil forces. I have used fixed power Leupold scopes for years on a variety of rifles up to .375 and have had no problems.

Leupold customer service is first rate. If a mil dot reticle could not be installed on your scope a long range reticle having multiple aiming points could be ordered with the scope or installed at a later date. 6 power seems to be a good compromise for a scope, I have shot deer well over 300 yds using a 6X.

The optics of the SS 6X42 are very good considering its low price but in my view this is a somewhat specialized scope. I have never hunted in S. Africa but if it is like N. America time is of the essence and weight counts.

ICanSeeYou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICanSeeYou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2015 at 03:18
My .338 wears a vintage Kahles Helia Super S6  6x42 was taken off an older, well taken care of rifle I bought at Cabelas. I sold the rifle for what I paid for the combo and got a free Kahles 6X. It may be old but it picks up light and the glass is remarkable.
When you're playing with me, you're playing for keeps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic