OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

steiner , minox, or leaupold compact

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steiner , minox, or leaupold compact
    Posted: May/03/2006 at 23:27

hello, My question is which binocular has the best optics.  I am looking for resolution and brightness . the binoculars will be used for hunting and generall nature viewing. 

1) steiner predator pro 8x22

2)minox 8x25 brw

3)leaupold 8x25 wind river olympic

4) or the porro prism steiner predator 8x30

thanks for any reply in andvance

Michigan

SteveSF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 09:35

Michigan,

My thoughts: 

Steiner’s Predator coatings have an effect similar to colored sunglasses.  The coatings make certain colors stand out against complementary colors.  It must surely, then, reduce overall light transmission.  I’m sure most hunters appreciate the contrast-enhancing effect, but this might be objectionable for general nature viewing.  The light reduction effect would make the 8x22 and 8x30 less bright than same-sized binoculars that have only the usual anti-reflection coatings. 

Additionally, the difference in brightness in the 22 mm -to - 30 mm range is noticeable, and the 30 mm size would be superior in low light. 

Among you list of binoculars:  If you like the Predator coatings even for general nature viewing, I would then recommend the 8x30.  If not, I would recommend the Minox 8x25 or Leupold 8x25, because they have the next-largest lens size. 

My personal preference would be an 8x30 or 8x32.  Steiner has models with non-color-biased coatings, and the other brands you list also have this size. 

I have some experience with these brands:  Steiner (Hunting series and the series with bronze coatings) and Minox (8x25 reverse porro prism and 8x32 roof prism).  They are both very good.  Leupold is very good, too, I’m sure.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 10:35

I was not impressed by the compacts. The Leupold is outright garbage. That leaves you with the 8x30 Steiner.  

Edited by anweis
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 14:34
Like Steve, I have a little experience ( ok, alot ) with Steiner bino's and would agree with Steve that the Predator coatings are primarily for hunting applicaions. The Predator 8x30 would have the best optics of the bino's you mentioned. Depending on how much and how serious you are about "nature viewing", you might be better off with the broad band coatings on the 8x30 Steiner Hunting series bino's. I have a pair of the 8x30 Hunting bins and like them very much. Check out the samplelist here for pre-owned models.

Edited by Roy Finn
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 15:30

Do you really want a 8X25?  For hunting, your limiting yourself to pretty good light conditions.  If you don't just have to have 8X, consider the Leupold Katmai 6X32.  I've been using a pair of these a lot, and am impressed.  They compare very favorably with my Pentax DCF SP 8X43's, and are a lot more fun to carry around.  Leupold recently upgraded their coatings and prisms, so even if you went with the 8X25, you''ll find they aren't "outright garbage".

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 14:09

mwyates,

I have been told that Leupold uses Bak7 prisms in their Katmai model rather than the higher quality Bak4 prisms.  Do you by chance know if this is true?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 14:38

lucznik,

They do use the bak7 prisms in the Katmais.  They are listed that way at SWFA and the literature that comes with them lists bak7's, I believe.  I've had them about 3 months and am impressed.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 15:59
BK7 while it does make a difference, is not that big a deal for lower magnification binocualrs and for roof prism binoculars.  This year Leupold updated the Katmais with phase coating which makes them a pretty attractive choice.

ILya
michigan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 23:31

Thank you, to all the had good information about these optics.  I  do have a tight buget and I will get alot more use out of the smaller binoculars so, these were the best binos I was told in this price range.  None of the stores close to me carry any of them except for the steiner 8x22 .  So thank you for all your wisdom on the other brands. 

michigan

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2006 at 11:16

Michigan,

Some other options in compact binoculars that you might want to look at would include:

Bushnell Legend

They have 8x and 10x26mm porro prisms that usually cost right around $100 and a 9x25 roof prism that retails for around $150.  All are waterproof, fogproof,  and have a lifetime warranty. (The 9x rooof is phase coated while the 8x and 10x don't require it a they're porro models.)

Pentax DCF MC II

They have 8x and 10x25mm roofs that are weather resistant (as opposed to waterproof) but, that are both phase coated and also have a lifetime warranty. These are quite nice and retail for around $120.

I would (actually did) pick these models over the Leupolds or the Steiners and have been quite pleased with them. I have no experience with the Minox so, i can't comment there.

Good luck in your choice.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic