OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Ruger M77 RSI in .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Ruger M77 RSI in .308
    Posted: May/09/2013 at 20:24
I am looking for a scope to put on my first Ruger M77 MkII RSI in .308.
I do not want the scope to over power the gun or take away from the looks.
However, I want to be able to have a good picture and shoot deer up to 200 yards.
I am considering the VX-2 in 2x7.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 22:02
i have a 2.5-7 weaver on my 45-70, it's pretty good.

check out the closeout sightrons, if there's any left. i have a 3-9 sI and it's a very clear scope.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 06:39
 I can appreciate you wanting to give that rifle the right look. Actually no need for anything above 4X if 200yds is your limit. In fact 4X can take you a good bit over 200yds. Maybe take a look at a 4X or under fixed power scope. Just my opinion but a fixed X with a 20mm objective would be just right.  I've got a Leupold M8 2.5x20mm w/hvy plex that I had to use on my M70 .270 FWT last yr.  Liked it so much it staying there.  
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 06:47
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I can appreciate you wanting to give that rifle the right look. Actually no need for anything above 4X if 200yds is your limit. In fact 4X can take you a good bit over 200yds. Maybe take a look at a 4X or under fixed power scope. Just my opinion but a fixed X with a 20mm objective would be just right.  I've got a Leupold M8 2.5x20mm w/hvy plex that I had to use on my M70 .270 FWT last yr.  Liked it so much it staying there.  

+1. A good 4x would be more than adequate and not overpowering. Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 07:48
I have the same rifle right down to the caliber.  Mine wears a Nikon Monarch 2-7x32.  A VX-3 1.5-5x20, 1.75-6x32, 2.5-8x38 or the VX II 2-7x33 that you mentioned would be good.  The newer Nikon Monarch in 2-8x32 should also get consideration.  One of the Leupold's in 2-7x28 would be nice also. If you want to stick with a variable.  A compact fixed 2.5x, 3x or 4x would work if you are OK with fixed power scopes.  I have seriously considered going with a fixed 2.5x or 3x because the last several deer I have take with it were all taken on low power (2x) at less than 75 yds.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 10:55
If it was my rifle I would put this scope on it and zero the crosshair at 200 then test at 300, 400 and 500 to see how the marks below center correspond to bullet drop at those distances which should be pretty close.  This 6x42 will be a very bright optic in low light with nice glass. It will be brighter than the 33 mm objective at anything over 4.7 power.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
snuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 14:08
Thank to all for your suggestions.

I think the FX 6x42 FX-3 might look to large on this shorter gun?

However, I am fine with a fixed power as I have a 6x35 FX-II on my Winchester 1885 in 45-70 and love it.

I talked to Leupold today and they recommended a VX-3 2.5x5-36 in gloss.
My gun is the MKII model with polished blue finish.

I need to decide whether Matte or Gloss will look the best?

I have a M77 MKII in .280 remington that wears a VX-3 4.5x14-40 in Matte finish and looks and works fine.
snuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 14:17
Just went to the safe and all of the Leupold Matte finish scopes I have that are on a polished blue gun look fine to my eye. I do not think I want a Gloss scope on the Ruger RSI?

I think the 6x36 FX-II with the Ballistic Reticle my be a good choice.
It only weights 10 oz where the 6x42 FX-3 weights 13.6 oz.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 15:09
I recently put an 80th anniversary Weaver 4 x 38 steel tube, gloss on a gloss Win low wall .243. It looks great   Excellent  This Weaver is actually a very nice scope. 
               Anomymous
snuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 17:07
So it is a K series?
I looked at the Weaver Site and did not see anything about 80th anniversary.
Thanks!
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 04:54
I used a m8 4x on mine for a while and it was a nice combination but I eventually went with a Leupold 2x7 like you are considering and it is a very nice match IMHO. For actual hunting the fixed power is great but I do like the extra magnification at the range. I always. Kid I need a 2or7 as I rarely set it at the in between levels. Oh and I vote gloss on the RSI.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 15:35
Originally posted by snuff snuff wrote:

So it is a K series?
I looked at the Weaver Site and did not see anything about 80th anniversary.
Thanks!

Yes, it's the K series. There was some confusion on whether it was a 32 or 38 mm. It's a 38 and comes in a yellow metal box with a chinchy Timex watch. Oh Yea BabyThe scope is really pretty good... it's made in Japan. I think it was actually last years anniversary model.
               Anomymous
snuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 17:44
I own 4 of the newer Leupold VX-3 and really like them.
However, for this gun I want to use a scope in the "compact" range.
I am leaning toward the VX-2 2-7x33 or the VX-3 2.5-8x36.
Do you think the optics of the VX-3 is worth and extra $100 over the VX-2?

Thanks!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 00:33
I think there is a significant difference between VX2 or FX2 and the VX3 or FX3 glass.  To me if I wanted a smaller objective than the 42mm I would drop down in power below 6x and go to this scope. While 6x42 has a 7mm exit eye pupil and is at max brightness the 32mm divided by 4x = 8mm exit eye pupil so also Maximum brightness in low light.  The glass in these is incredible considering the  low cost.
IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope 4A IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope
Stock # - 403240
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
$359.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2013 at 23:12
3x leupold would look good on it.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 07:28
Originally posted by cowski cowski wrote:

3x leupold would look good on it.

Another good option. I put this scope on my wife's Ruger compact .308. Looks good, works good.
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic