OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for my 300Win Mag/Encore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litefoot96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for my 300Win Mag/Encore
    Posted: May/03/2006 at 14:40
I have read several of the articles on this forum and am curious at what would be the best scope for my set up.  The price range is around $600.  I am leaning towards the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50mm.  But I have read a lot about the rainguard on the Bushnell series and am curious if that is better to have for hunting.  Thanks in advance for your response.
Litefoot96 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litefoot96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 14:42
Originally posted by Litefoot96 Litefoot96 wrote:

I have read several of the articles on this forum and am curious at what would be the best scope for my set up.  The price range is around $600.  I am leaning towards the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50mm.  But I have read a lot about the rainguard on the Bushnell series and am curious if that is better to have for hunting.  Thanks in advance for your response.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 15:08

Welcome to The OT!!

I recommend the Conquest, but I dig the 44mm objective.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 17:10

If it is wet and cold where you hunt, Elite 4200 is a good choice.

ILya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litefoot96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 14:15
I will be doing most of my hunting in the Midwest and Canada, mostly Michigan.  Those of us that have hunted in Michigan know that rain and/or snow is a likely occurance.That is why the rainguard seems to be a better option. Any more information on either scope would help, or maybe even another scope!  Some friends are trying to push me to buy a Swift, saying that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  Let me know!!  Thanks
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 15:19

Swift? They are OK for the money, but I can easily tell the difference between Swift and a quality scope like Elite 4200.  Besides, Swift are not the best sealed scopes out there by any stretch of imagination. 

For your type of hunting it sounds like Elite 4200 is the ticket.

ILya

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 07:44
Definately a 4200 over a Swift.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2006 at 01:00

As nice as these all are I will note that some scopes by virtue of the type of reticle are very useful for knowing how much to hold over at certain distances. I recommend you look at Leupold VXIII boone & crocket or varmitt reticles and Burris balictic plex reticles. The Zeiss does make a mil dot that can be used in similar fashion. Also note that you will need a 30mm tube to get the full advantage of a 50mm objective so why bother with anything over 44mm on a 1 in tube. A 3-9x40 is a typical scope but I much prefer the 4.5-14 x 50 w 30mm tube to better evaluate animals at distance.    The Zeiss is excellent glass but having the right reticle may be more important than having the best glass.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2006 at 11:43

Why do you need a 30mm tube to get full advantage of a 50mm objective?  One of classic configuration for low light hunting is an 8x56 with 1" (or 26mm for some European companies) tube.  Going beyond 56mm on a 1' tube is typically not done due to possible vignetting at the first field stop, I believe, but up to 56mm there really should not be a problem.

ILya

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2006 at 12:40
I think it was one of the posts that Chris made a while back regarding the 1 inch tube reaching the maximum amount of light transmission at I believe 44mm. The 30 mm tube does have the advantage of more adjustment range. Ex. The 4.5-14 30mm tube Leupold VXIII scopes have 100 moa internal adjustment which becomes really significant at longer distances.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litefoot96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2006 at 16:58
Thank you for the information.  I am still making my decision but I do like the Boone and Crocket reticle.  I also like the firefly reticle on the Bushnell.  So until I have the opportunity to personally check these scopes I won't be able to make up my mind.  I do like the Leupold and have one on 2 of my rifles now, but in low light conditions I have a hard time seeing the crosshairs.  Both of my Leupolds are 40mm and both have the duplex crosshairs.  Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic