OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone used the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 Prominar XD ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone used the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 Prominar XD ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoalwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone used the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 Prominar XD ?
    Posted: May/08/2013 at 21:26
I am looking at getting some new bino's before a spot and stalk hunt for antelope up in Wyoming this September.  I have it narrowed down to getting the Swarovski SLC 10X42 HD WB's or Leica Ultravid 10X42 HD's, but have been looking at Kowa spotting scopes and thought I would ask about their binos.  I have always heard really good things about the glass in their spotting scopes, so I thought maybe the same is true of their binos.  Unfortunately the closest dealer is about 5 hours away, so most likely would have to buy on other recommendations.  I know they are 7 to 8 hundred less, but thought I would see if those that have used the Kowa Genesis 10.5X45 think the glass is comparable with the more expensive Leica and Swarovski?  I appreciate the help.
timberbuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 02:57
No, not quite as good optically as the Swaro/Leica.

I would spen my cash on one of these.

Swarovski Swarovision EL
Zeisss Victory HT

Swarovski SLC HD
Zeiss Victory FL
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 04:51
Send a pm to Bitteroot Bulls he's in the process of reviewing the Kowa 883 and the Genesis 10.5 X 44bins. He'll give you an honest review. I can't because I'm partial.

Peddler

Cool Cool Cool
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 09:10
I currently own the 10x42 SLC HD's.  I think they're the best hunting binocular made right now.  We've had a couple of issues with Swaro EL's and their double bridge construction so I'm not real fond of those.  I personally won't consider a Leica anything.  I had a 10.5x44 Genesis for a while too, about 3 years ago.  The glass is fantastic, within a natsazz of anything made, but I have a tendency to see the dreaded "rolling ball" view, and it was noticeable in my pair of Genesis.  They are extremely well built too.  All that being said, you can get 95+% of the performance for half the money nowadays, specifically with the Meopta HD/Cabelas Euro HD binos.  They are great, and very well built.  There are some great deals on the Zeiss FL's that timberbuck mentioned too.  You're going to have to get them in your hands and personally look them and decide for yourself.  The Kowa Prominar 883/884 are as good as it gets IMO.   
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 10:03
LIke Peddler said,

I have had the 10.5 Prominars for a few weeks and here is the rundown:

Pros:

1. Bright.
2. Sharp center of field.
3. Neutral color.
4. Good CA control.
5. Top-Shelf build quality.
6. Threaded barrels for filters and other accessories.
7. Good price point.
8. Locking diopter.
9. Low distortion.

Cons:

1. Big and heavy (33 ounces does help steady the view)
2. No tripod exit on the 44mm models.
4. Sweet spot seems kind of narrow.
5. Some field curvature.

Overall, they are a high-performing competitor in their price range. With a few small alterations in the design, especially the tripod exit, the Prominar bins could really be a market buster. I do really like the threaded barrels, which would make for a nice screw-in flip-up objective cover accessory.

-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic