OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A straight forward question...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rynegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A straight forward question...
    Posted: May/08/2013 at 14:53
 In choosing a spotting scope for myself, I've run across several that "seem" to be popular here on this forum and or elsewhere for general purposes.
  So price aside; which of these are the best all around scope?

(1) Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 

(2) Nikon prostaff 20-6-x82

(3) Leupold Sequoia 20-60x80

(4) Leupold Ventana 20-6-x80

(5) Konus Konuspot 20-6-X80

(6) ??? you have one to add around these price points?

thanks, mitch

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 20:02

Welcome to O.T rynegold. I picked the Elite for my first big spotter and I have been real pleased with it. I researched a lot before making purchase and read good things about it. Here I am using it to view a Eagle's Aeries this past Easter.

I think your right with the list, with the bushy being on top.Wink

"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 20:36
I"d pick the Elite out of that bunch too.  
rynegold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rynegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 22:08
So I notice you're using the angled eyepiece... I've found a used one but it's the straight version; big difference?? Is straight that much more trouble? less money?

regards, mitch
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 23:07
For the cost I have to say I was impressed with what  you get from Konus as one of my friends has one.
Konus 20-60x80 Konuspot Spotting Scope Konus 20-60x80 Konuspot Spotting Scope
Stock # - KON7120
  • Green
  • Angled
  • Comes with Table Tripod, Camera Adapter and Carrying Case
$229.95 
Konus 20-60x100 Konuspot Spotting Scope Konus 20-60x100 Konuspot Spotting Scope
Stock # - KON7122
  • Green
  • Angled
  • Comes with Camera Adapter and Carrying Case
$329.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rynegold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rynegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 08:07
So now I've discovered (via this forum: http://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/customer_service?contentid=10007.42692  )

the "Alpen" line of spotting scopes... anyone have a thought on these?

And also, what of the 100mm Konuspot? worth the little xtra $ and size/weight?

Any thoughts appreciated as I'm pretty new to the spotting scope fancy.

regards, mitch
rynegold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rynegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 08:09
Sorry, THIS forum:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/index.php

I only add this since I don't find an "edit" feature here on this forum for the OP; true?

regards, mitch
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 10:29
I actually find the straight eyepiece easier to use, but the angled also has some advantages. imo 
  also  50 posts= edit capabilities

Edited by coyote95 - May/09/2013 at 10:35
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
rynegold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rynegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 10:45
Thanks Coyote! I didn't know that! Anyway yes: the straight eyepiece model is the one I've found (Bushnell Elite) however have any of you compared (and remember any differences) the Bushnell and the Konusport 80 or 100? Is there, I suppose I'm asking, any difference a guy like me could easily ascertain? Ditto the Alpen 80?

Between these three I "should" find a usable scope. And one, I don't remember right now without looking, has a camera adapter that comes with it!

This past weekend I was able to attend the NRA National Convention here in Houston. Swarovski had all their cool jammy new stuff on display and one of their spotting scopes had a camera attachment (which was an actual lens that attached over the eyepiece)  that was just too cool.... it worked like a champ! Focus and power were on the main barrel so you could do both WITH the camera attached!

All for just under 4k    Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic