OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR15 3Gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR15 3Gun
    Posted: May/06/2013 at 14:47
Been a long time member but have a new toy on the way.  Looking to the experts in the AR platform for a fast nice scope for an AR.  Plan on using for multiple things including 3Gun Competition. Target shooting, varmits, whatever.
This place has never let me down on my optics need.  Thanks
Cajun Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 15:30
Thinking 1-4 x24 ?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 15:44
SS1-4 should be on the list; great glass, no tunneling, price is very competitive.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 16:39
Really digging the Meopta ZD 1-4

Lots of good options these days

Budget?

Most will agree that you want a true 1x at the bottom and 4-6 on the top.
Some like FFP some SFP, both have pros and cons in a low power variable.
Reticle choice is highly personal, most want it to be fast at 1x for close in work and to have a way to shoot quickly and accurately out to 5-600 yards.
Some want a BDC type reticle and some want a MOA or MIL reticle.
Most people aren't dialing for the longer distances and are using the reticle.

Edited by ccoker - May/06/2013 at 16:46
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 17:25
As Coker asked previously, please give us your budget. Leave $$$ in budget for mounting system, if you don't already have one.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 17:35
The whole thing is costing me more than I want, but I want nice glass that I don't want or need to replace.  I don't mind paying for something that is worth it.  I guess I am looking for the best value.  For reference I own, Kahles scopes, and Zeiss Victory 7x42 bino.  I put Vortex and Zeiss Conquest and a few other rifles.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 18:46
Maybe the Vortex 1-6 is a good choice. The Swaro seems like it is a bit high and not sure how much better it will be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 19:41
Are you doping all shots on the reticle or on the turret?

What do you like about the Vortex?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 20:50
I like the 1-6 power and the reticle.  Not sure what you mean by doping all shots on the reticle or on the turret?  New to AR?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 21:01
Swaro 1-6 z6 is a great choice for 3 gun if price isn't an issue.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 21:02
I shoot 3-gun and I run the Swarovski 1-6 z6i brt reticle

I know there are cheaper scopes out there that are great scopes, but here is my .02 cents.

When shooting big 3 gun matches you can shoot a stage where targets range from 5 ft to 300 yards. Having the day/night or as most people use the dual illumination allows you to have one set bright at close range and one dim to quickly switch to long range. This scope has a great FOV at 1x with no tunneling.  The 6x is more than enough to shoot 300 yard plates. 

For hunting or target shooting Swarovski has some of the best glass on the market, which I am sure the best depends on who you ask and the application. They also have some of the best light transmission.

My one negative for the z6i is at longer range on paper or target shooting the illuminated dot tends to cover things up. Although not huge it still gets in the way. 

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 00:01
My favorite scope for an AR is the Compact ACOG with these the illumination is always on it is tritium plus fiber optic. 
Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA47R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$975.80 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 00:06
"Are you doping all shots on the reticle or on the turret?"
This means are you correcting for trajectory bullet drop by using hold over points on the reticle or are you dialing in correction by using tactical turrets to compensate for trajectory.

Consider these also:
U.S. Optics 1.8-10x37mm MR8mil 30mm Rifle Scope U.S. Optics 1.8-10x37mm MR8mil 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - USOMR8MIL
  • Parallax Control: T-Pal Left Side Parallax/Focus
  • Tube: 30mm Standard
  • Color: Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing
  • Eyepiece: Lo Profile - Rapid Focus
  • Includes: USO Flip Open Covers
  • Reticle: Mil-Scale GAP (MIL)
  • Digital Push Button Illumination (Red)
  • Knob - Elevation: EREK 1/10 MIL
  • Knob - Windage: US#1 1/10 MIL
$2,223.95 
IOR 1.5-8x26 Trident Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope IOR 1.5-8x26 Trident Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - IOR158260
  • Matte
  • Illuminated CQB for .223
  • 35mm
  • 1/4 MOA
  • Zero Stop
  • Second Focal Plane
  • Free IOR 35mm Rings w/ Purchase
$1,499.95 
SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD16X24D
  • Matte Black Finish
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Donut (Circle/Mil-Scale)
  • 30mm Tube
  • .10 Mrad, 10 Mils per Rev.
  • HD Model
  • Undercover Turrets
  • Coming soon, accepting pre orders
$999.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 06:52
No fans of the Vortex here?  Interesting, thanks for the input. Clearly if money was not an object I would get the Swaro, but I just not sure it is 1K better, that is a ton of bullets. Or at least used to be!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 08:07
I'm a fan of the Vortex Razor 1-6. Mainly because my eyes don't work well with FFP scopes at low power for fast work. If you don't have that issue, then one of the other scopes mentioned might be a better choice.
I don't own the Razor, but I have looked at one, and I was impressed. Being a SFP reticle, the BDC will only be useful at 6X, and depending on your loads the BDC may not match up with your loads at longer distances, say past 300yds when at 6X.
I'm using the IOR 1.5-8x26 now, but if I had it to do over, I would go for the Razor.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 08:15
I was no disparaging the Vortex, just wanted to know what you liked.

My intermediate-range AR (I don't compete, so no "3 gun" gun) wears a 1-4SS and I have been quite pleased . I've had it since they came out and will one day probably get the 1-6SS.

I too am a fan of Swarovski glass, but my ARs don't "need" it. My advice, especially for someone new to the platform, is to get a good enough scope (and good mount) and spend the rest on instruction and practice. Lots of practice!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 08:44
The best value in a useable 3 gun scope is the Burris MTAC.

You spend WAY more time under a 100 than over so a fast reticle at 1x is better than an ultra precise reticle at 500.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 10:04
The new Vortex Razor 1-6x24 HD gen ll was designed around world champion Jerry Miculek for use in 3 gun comp.He's the best there is,nuf said...............
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 13:06
I have shot with the Vortex 1-6 and some of them have been good. Others I used had a little rolling ball in the image. I run the SWFA SS 1-6 as do quite a few other people I know. That would be my personal suggestion. Looks like an Eotech on low power but has a mil based reticle on 6x. Makes for a great 3 gun optic.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 09:40
Our SWFA SS 1-6 is now in stock and ready to ship also, FYI.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic