OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Endurance Test 8x42 binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Endurance Test 8x42 binoculars
    Posted: May/02/2013 at 16:33
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Wood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 22:44
German engineering is looking pretty good.
God is good
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 23:42
This is a new sort of a test, but...I have to point out that I have a hard time assigning much meaning to it.  I am not taking issue with any of the rankings.  What I see as a problem is making those rankings based on tests of only one sample of any particular binocular.  Was Brand X, model Y a typical specimen, or did it have issues?  It seems to me that you have to test enough samples of each of the binoculars so that the average test result of a particular model levels off, in other words its score will not change with testing of a high or a low quality variant.  How many (or how few ) specimens it needs to level out the score should be the telling factor I think, not that one binocular scored 20 points differently from another one.

Allbinos has some test issues, but they have a good process and have data available that not many other sites have.  I like the fact they have gone outside the box and issued a new endurance test.

I have read quickly through it, but need to go over it again more carefully.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:53
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

I have to point out that I have a hard time assigning much meaning to it.

What I see as a problem is making those rankings based on tests of only one sample of any particular binocular.  It seems to me that you have to test enough samples of each of the binoculars so that the average test result of a particular model levels off, in other words its score will not change with testing of a high or a low quality variant. 

How many (or how few ) specimens it needs to level out the score should be the telling factor I think

Steve,

All manufacturers are "supposed to" have a rigorous Quality Control departments for testing finished products prior to release for shipment to distributors & dealers. 

You cannot be reasonable in your thinking and expect Allbinos, or anyone, to purchase numerous(multiple) samples of each binocular to be tested.
Testing should be done by the manufacturer. 

Personally, I know of one importer/distributor, of binoculars, who says he puts every binocular that he sells through a rigorous 14 point inspection prior to shipping, and yet, for the past six years, I have heard of numerous complaints, from consumers, regarding factory defects and Quality Control issues, that should have been caught at the factory, as well as by this particular state side importer.

Issues with waterproofing, in individual samples, for example, tells a consumer how well the factory is doing, or not doing their job, when it comes to Quality Control Inspections. Wink 

Edited by Bird Watcher - May/05/2013 at 09:14
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 15:19
I think if you lined up 100 pair of $2000 binos and tested them, none of them should leak, ever, especially when a manufacturer guarantees they won't.  
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 19:37
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Steve,

I don't agree with your fanciful assessment.

All manufacturers are "supposed to" have a rigorous Quality Control departments for testing finished products prior to release for shipment to distributors & dealers. 

You cannot be reasonable in your thinking and expect Allbinos, or anyone, to purchase numerous samples of each binocular to be tested.
Testing should be done by the manufacturer. 

Personally, I know of one importer/distributor, of binoculars, who says he puts every binocular that he sells through a rigorous 14 point inspection prior to shipping, and yet, for the past six years, I have heard of numerous complaints, from consumers, regarding factory defects and Quality Control issues, that should have been caught at the factory, as well as by this particular state side importer.

Issues with waterproofing, in individual samples, for example, tells a consumer how well the factory is doing, or not doing their job, when it comes to Quality Control Inspections. Wink 

I did not once say they should buy numerous specimens.  What I said was that unless we get a run with multiple specimens, we can't place a lot of faith in the result.  That is realistic and I resent the fanciful statement.

You have made my point by explaining all of the QC variations.  I agree that that should be more carefully done at the Factory.  What I am saying is that since you admit you know of sample variation, is that we should expect some sample variation in the Allbinos test.  I repeat, that we simply do not know whether or not there was any attempt by Allbinos to assess the degree of issues that may have existed before the test.  That is a weak link in Allbinos whole approach.  There are times when it is perfectly obvious they are testing a sample with issues.  We further do not know if another Leica may have passed the test with the flag held high, instead of being excoriated.

What is fanciful is placing too much faith in the test as presented.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Wood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 22:05
Originally posted by Wood Wood wrote:

German engineering is looking pretty good.
Well 2 out of 3 isn't too bad. LOL
God is good
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic