OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good load For 22-250?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good load For 22-250?
    Posted: May/02/2006 at 18:02

Does anyone have a good load that they would like to share for a 22-250.  I have a Model 70 Winchester Coyote Lite.  I am new to reloading.  I have currently used, Varget and H380 powders from Hodgdon, and I used a Sierra 55gr. Blitzking.  I have switched to Nosler 55gr., my weapon doesn't seem to like the Sierra.  I use Winchester brass, and WRL primers from Win.  Might possibly switch over to CCI primers. 

Also does anyone have any pointers on finding the OAL, or in other words how deep to seat the bullet so it barely touches the lands on the rifling?  I am having a heck of a time with that. 

Darn shame about what is happening to Winchester!!

Much Appreciated for the help.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2006 at 18:19
Using an unprimed empty case, preferably already fireform edseat a bullet longer than normal. Now chamber the round slowly and carefully until full lock up, now unlock and examine the land marks on the forward part of the bullet. Measure and seat just a bit shorter (depends on chamber). Your twist rate is prob. 1x12 try sierra 55 gr HPBT or HPSP as they are a bit longer. and your probably shooting the blitz just a bit fast for that bullet. Keep varget, no cci, make sure all primers are same lot, win or Fed. (Pref. Fed, Win are to hot). Winchester will be back however it will probab ly have an eastern pronounciation.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 03:29

Dale:

You use the same method I use for determining OAL.

How far from the lands do you think Yotecaller needs to be for that round??

I generally have the best luck backing off 10-20 thousandths off the lands.

Some bullets more. Barnes seem to like it about 50 thousandths off.

How do you measure the bullet ogive??

Thanks in advance. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 09:59

The actual and final depends on the gun and load. 22-250 have fairly short throats ( and necks) anyway and if the bullet is "marked" by the lands, the pressures will fluctuate-- so your figure of actually "backing off" the lands works great for most instances. In long neck cartridges such as 6mm  with slightly worn lands I literally "jam" them into the lands, knowing (generally) the longer neck and case neck tension will not allow the bullet to be pulled out if ejection is necessaryand unusual pressure changes are not as severe as in a 243 for example. AR's of course hate this type of manipulation.

Stoney points bullet comparator (and others) work will for ogive seating depth. But---- such devices only work when the gun action itself is blue printed. If one has the luxury of working with a correct chamber etc. I just assume most chambers are elliptical and go from there. thus after fireforming the case neck needs to be turned to a thickness just enough to hold the bullet but not be blown fully out by the next shooting. This does not allow the irregular chamber dimensions to over power the statistics of load variations during the reloading stages, (usually done in lots of 1000) on Dillon 550 and 650's.  It's like bore sighting after you've done it a million times, you don't use devices, one can just tell by looking down the barrel and feel. (gonna get it for that one).

Yotecaller1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 10:06

I recieved an email back from Sierra about how far they generally seat, the tech. said to try and seat 10 thousandths off the lands. He said by doing that usually the round will not fit in the mag then. Ogive is the area on the bullet where it just starts to curve from the tip, and taper down to the straight part of the bullet right?  If so, could you then measure from the mark on the bullet where the land first touches, to get a good accurate reading? 

Thanks for the advice, should I switch to Federal Match primers?  I like the Varget, it seems to be more consistent than the H380. 

Thanks! 

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 12:30

correct on ogive- even though a bunch of bullets come from the same box they can have different melplats- so yes you should measure from the land mark (pun intended). Fed match good- even cci if they are Br. Varget is about the most consistent powder I have used, (except for some of what used to be called Alcan).

Usually if possible I rework the magazines, especially in Winchesters, by taking out the back spacer such that the mag, is longer, and the bullets can be seated out. You might try 50 gr. A-max also.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 20:44

YC, I have better luck with CCI BR primers and Varget.

At least when I load for my .308.

CCI BR primers are a little cooler, thus my Varget loads shoots better with them than Fed. GM. Your milage may vary, of course.

As far as these longer rounds not fitting into the magazine, I generally "single shot" my .308 from the bench because I load them so long.

I do have shorter rounds that I can hunt with, but as Dale eluded to, factory chambers are typically very long. 

I'm a BIG Varget fan, but some have said that it is a little temperature sensitive.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Yotecaller1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 00:26

Thanks guys, the information you provided was superb.  I'll be busy for awhile testing loads, I'll let you know how everything turned out.

YC

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic