OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for Scope for 10/22 Target

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for Scope for 10/22 Target
    Posted: April/30/2013 at 17:04
So, I picked up a reasonably nice 10/22 last night.  I got it partly for me but also for my 9 and 12yr old granddaughters who are just starting out shooting (first trigger pulls last weekend).

I have an old (50yr old this year) Browning that I put a Nikon 2-7 P22 on.  Not super thrilled with it but it does the job.  I also picked up a neat little savage model 93 with the kit Bushnel on it.  I actually like this scope better than the Nikon.

So now comes the 10/22.  Its got a Barska on it.  Which I can already tell the glass is worse than the Nikon.  Like the zoom range on it as it will let me stretch past the 100yd range.  24x might be a bit overkill for a .22lr.  Maybe 12 to 14 is more realistic.  But, as I said the glas quality is not so great, just looking through it in the parking lot I already know I am not going to be happy at the range.

So, without getting into upper 3 figures, what decent options are there?

I was kinda sniffing around the Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm but I am totally open to options at this point.

TIA.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2013 at 18:57
Whats your price range? 
Whats your intended use? Range only? or will you need an adjustable objective to focus down real close?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2013 at 21:27
If there is any posibility that it will be used competitively I believe 6x is what is uses so if its a variable they must have it set at 6x.  6x42 also makes a lot of sense because it is a very bright optic in low light and about as much power as one can hand hold without a rest.
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
$299.95 
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope Target Dot Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66825
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$469.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2013 at 21:29
Other good choices for a rimfire are:

Nikon 2-7x32 P22 Riflescope Nikon 2-7x32 P22 Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8498
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
$179.95 
Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849431
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$141.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Wolfie1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Urimaginaryfrnd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 09:55
Ok, what did I do wrong?  My account is suspended.  I had to register again to reply.  I only made one post, it was on topic for the forum I posted in, at least I thought so.  A note as to why it was suspended would have been really nice.

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Whats your price range? 
Whats your intended use? Range only? or will you need an adjustable objective to focus down real close?

Range only.  Targets, plinking.  Anywhere from 25yd to 200yd plus.  Maybe.  I don't see extending out much further with a 22.

As I said I would like to keep it in the mid to low 3 digits, $300 and down for now.

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

If there is any posibility that it will be used competitively I believe 6x is what is uses so if its a variable they must have it set at 6x.  6x42 also makes a lot of sense because it is a very bright optic in low light and about as much power as one can hand hold without a rest.

Thanks for the scope links.  I will look them over.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 10:13
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Wolfie1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Urimaginaryfrnd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 10:19
Great!  Thanks. 

I will look at the specs and see if those are in stock locally.  Optics (like for DSLRs) are something you really have to pick up, handle and look through to get a realistic feel as to which you personally like better.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 10:35
Well if you can't find it locally SWFA has a great return policy.  You'll also get better pricing with them and they pay for and run this forum, so its nice to give them the business.
Wolfie1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Urimaginaryfrnd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 10:47
There is that too.  I bought all my DLSR lenses locally even though they are cheaper online.  I like having a face to talk to if there are problems or questions.

Suppose I can check them out locally and then see what SWFA can do on pricing.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 10:50
Thats a good plan.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 16:58
Since you are going to shoot from 25 to 200yds plus I would make sure that what ever scope you purchase that it has either an AO or a SF so you can adjust parallax down to 25yds.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 18:34
Originally posted by Wolfie1 Wolfie1 wrote:

Ok, what did I do wrong?  My account is suspended.  I had to register again to reply.  I only made one post, it was on topic for the forum I posted in, at least I thought so.  A note as to why it was suspended would have been really nice.

I suspended your original account because you used an email address ending in "@allmyspam.com."

We have had so much trouble with spammers lately that I check out all new user registrations to try to shut down spammers as early as possible before they pollute our forum. Your email address, combined with lack of personal info in your profile raised a red flag, naturally making a reasonable person believe your intent was to post spam. If this isn't a correct assumption, then I can easily reactivate your original account if you'd prefer.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Wolfie1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Urimaginaryfrnd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 09:57
I replied via a PM to Urimaginaryfrnd and I am sure he will forward to you.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 19:07
Definitely look at the Weaver Kaspa 3-12X44 w/illuminated tactical (there's that word again...) ballistic-X reticle. Overall size will go with your rifle, and it also focuses to 10 yards. It's a pretty good buy at it's normal price of around $229, but the $50 rebate that is going on right now makes it a no-brainer. The reticle will also come in handy for the really close and far shots.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 20:18
Originally posted by Wolfie1 Wolfie1 wrote:

I replied via a PM to Urimaginaryfrnd and I am sure he will forward to you.

Yes, sir; he did, and I totally understand the reasoning for your email address and domain name. Please understand that we've had a huge problem with spammers on the site over the past couple months. It seems we have to ban 2-5 spammers every single day to keep them from polluting our site. As a result, we are on high alert. I didn't see your posts before I suspended your acct. In fact, I could have sworn you didn't have any posts when I suspended the acct, but obviously that wasn't the case. I saw the word "spam" in your email domain, and that, combined with a totally blank profile devoid of any personal info, was the sole reason for my action. It was nothing personal; those traits will raise a red flag every time. These days, when it comes to the appearance of a potential spammer, we err on the side of caution because of the current epidemic we've had with them. In the past few weeks, most new user registrations have proven to be spammers.

I have reactivated your "Wolfie" account so both your user names are currently active. If you prefer to use it instead of Wolfie1 and would prefer I delete Wolfie1, please advise and I will do so.

I apologize for the hassle, but I'm sure you can understand how your domain name can set off alarm bells for sites such as this that are inundated by spammers.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Wolfie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 09:29
Life is good.  Wolfie back on the air! Yippee

Feel free to delete wolfie1 so someone else can have the name if they so desire.  And if you can or care to, transfer the few posts from wolfe1 to mine for consistency sake.  But thats up to you.

I do understand but I hadn't had time to fill in anything in my profile, and I would be surprised if any spammers have domains with the word spam in them.   They try to avoid the word like the plague.  This is the first time in 13 years of owning that domain that I have received an immediate ban mainly based on the domain name.

And yes I get the need for spam control.  But isn't overzealousness on bans and controls kinda what all of us gun owners are all upset about of late?  We all make mistakes.  Life is too short to worry about the little things that are fixed, lets focus on the things that aren't fixed :)

Anyway, its worked out.  Lets get the thread back on track before a mod closes the thread :)  j/k  really! Clown
Wolfie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:03
Originally posted by PhilR. PhilR. wrote:

Definitely look at the Weaver Kaspa 3-12X44 w/illuminated tactical (there's that word again...) ballistic-X reticle. Overall size will go with your rifle, and it also focuses to 10 yards. It's a pretty good buy at it's normal price of around $229, but the $50 rebate that is going on right now makes it a no-brainer. The reticle will also come in handy for the really close and far shots.

So, I looked at the Kaspa, no image on SWFA.  And after digging a bit, aren't the Kaspa series made in china?  Lesser quality?

What about Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield E1 30mm or Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield E1 Rifle Scope?

The 4.5-14 is a bout $50 above my base budget.  The budget is flexible and not a hard limit.

I wish SWFA had category and zoom range searches like Midway does :(  They really need to upgrade their site search filters.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 22:31
The Wolfie1 account is now deactivated.  Glad we could get this straightened out.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Wolfie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 16:15
Ok, clearly there is a lot that has changed.  I think I am going to need more schooling than I thought I would.

Maybe a step back and realization I asked the wrong question here.

I am getting back into the sport after a long time away from it.  At least 30 years since I fired a scoped weapon.   Things are a lot different now that I am really beginning to try to evaluate a proper scope for my application.  Back then, you pretty much chose a hunting scope or a target scope.  There were few options once you made that choice.  Now, whoa.  Styles, manufacturer terms, qualities, reticles etc..  Boy.  Overwhelming.

So, I would like to start this all over from scratch....please!  Instead of asking what scope I should get...I would like to ask....
(given the 25-200yd expected shooting distance for target shooting and eventual approx $300 budget)

What features would be best for these ranges and shooting type? 

What reticle type(s) should I be considering? 

What zoom ranges would cover 25-200yd  best?

I would like to hear the why more than the actual recommendations so I can educate myself and I can then make an educated decision.  If yall have any good FAQs for choosing a scope system, I would like to hear about those too.

Yall have been so helpful thus far, I really appreciate your assistance in becoming an educated shooter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic