OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Got my now custom rifle back from PCR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got my now custom rifle back from PCR
    Posted: April/30/2013 at 15:50
I got my rifle back from Phoenix Custom Rifles today (ill do a little write up later once I get to shooting it), but im not sure I should shoot it just yet...

Brad at PCR advised me not to use my old cases that were used in my old chamber. The new chamber is at minimum spec he says, and it is possible to get one of those old cases stuck.

I checked some of my 8x fired brass in the new chamber by seeing how hard they are to chamber when compared to some factory loaded, never fired cartridges. I FL resized my cases, trimmed them to 2.005, and I noticed that they are slightly more difficult to chamber than the new factory loaded ammunition. One of the cases was noticeable harder to chamber, I may throw that on away.

Although most of my cases seem to chamber well, im afraid that the brass might try to expand to the size of my old chamber (brass memory?)and consequently, get very stuck.

What should I do? I don't have any unused brass, aside from the 30 rounds of factory loaded 308 ammo I have. I have a FL resizing die and a body die, both Redding. I cant find any 308 cases anywhere, and factory ammo is scarce.
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2013 at 17:02
Small base die or get new brass. 

I use all my old brass from my last rifle in my new rifle with a tight match chamber.  I could not chamber the loads I had made for the old rifle in my new rifle.  Shoulder was to long.  So I pulled all the bullets small base sized and trimmed them and now they are just fine.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2013 at 17:17
What is a small base die? Is it the same as a body die? They look the same.

My cases fit ok, but is there any chance that my 8x fired brass will spring back to the size of my old factory chamber and get stuck in my new match chamber when I shoot them?

Edited by Gil P. - April/30/2013 at 17:25
Easy come easy go

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2013 at 17:37
Small base die and new brass to get a foot note on how the new rifle likes the brass chamber size. It seems the custom new rifle just has a tad bit tighter chambers. a small base die will fix you right up. The small base die just resizes the case a tad bit smaller in the body for auto n repeater rifles. I once had a bolt rifle I had to use a small base die with.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 15:11
Do you think ill have any problems if my used cases from my chamber, chamber easily in my new one?
Easy come easy go

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 06:50
Originally posted by Gil P. Gil P. wrote:

Do you think ill have any problems if my used cases from my chamber, chamber easily in my new one?
No.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic