OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope mount confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical Fowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope mount confusion
    Posted: May/01/2006 at 21:37
I am new to the world of rifle optics, and am a little confused about the different ways to mount a scope to a rifle (weaver, dual dovetail, standard, etc).  Can you explain? 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2006 at 21:56
Rubber bands-seriously it depends on how much you want to spend and runs like this- design a board to cross a stream knowing that the load will never be for than 50 ft.lbs. The new board is designed for 300 ft/lbs but some of the old boards are only 100 ft/lbs. , but because the old board is not new and shiney no one will buy it. Weaver quadralocs are about $22 and bases about $10. Some ninja (tactical) runs $100 for base and $300 for rings. What you pay for inbetween these extremes are, finish, (polish) and ease of use.
Technical Fowl View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical Fowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2006 at 22:06
I haven't purchased a scope yet, probably a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40.  It will be mounted on a Winchester Model 70 classic stainless in 7mm Rem Mag.
hotshot110 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotshot110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2006 at 19:52
How much are you going to shoot this rifle? I shoot all of my guns every chance i get so i put the best rings and bases on them i could afford. I prefer cross slotted rings because of there strength. That is not to say that dovetail mounts are not strong but i.m.o cross slotted are better.I read an article a few years back about the difference between the two and i have since switched all of my rifles to weaver type bases. Don't look past the warnes. You can get rings and bases for around 60 dollars and they are verry good.Also take a look at the weaver grand slams.Unless you have plenty of money to spend and buy a set of badger ordnance they are the verry best. I.M.O
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical Fowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 08:10
This is going to be my primary hunting rifle, and I plan on using it every chance I get.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 10:13

Originally posted by Technical Fowl Technical Fowl wrote:

I am new to the world of rifle optics, and am a little confused about the different ways to mount a scope to a rifle (weaver, dual dovetail, standard, etc).  Can you explain? 

Weaver style - Ring clamps onto a flat base.  A bar on the bottom of the ring fits into a cross slot on the base keeping the ring from sliding back and forth.

Redfield style - Also called standard.  Invented by Redfield and copied by Leupold, Burris and many others.  Front ring has a rectangular shaped lobe on the bottom of it that fits into a rectangular hole in the base.  You then twist the ring into place which locks it in and keeps the ring from sliding back and forth.  The rear ring is attached by two screws on the base.  By loosening one screw and tightening the other you can move the ring left and right which allows you to adjust for windage and get the scope straight on the rifle.

Dual Dovetail - Is two front Redfield style rings.  Both rings twist in and you can not adjust for windage.  Designed for rifle caliber pistols or extreme African calibers primarily.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical Fowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 10:34
Is one any better then the other? 
hotshot110 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotshot110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 01:34

If you want a strong set of bases and rings get the cross sloted type. The reason is that dovetail type rings rely on metal to metal fit. Over time the recoil from a rifle can weaken the joint at the base of the ring stud. I'm not saying that your gun is going to instantly shear your rings off . But over time they could weaken resulting in loss of accuracy.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 09:41
Slotted ring types are in no way any stronger than a double post system. Either of Leo's double or QR post will work as good. The slot in the bottom of a weaver ring type does not stop the rings from moving because the slots and the ridge are not the same size. The ridge is always smaller which allows the rings to float back and forth under the assumption that they will be tightened so much that this will not happen. If the dovetail ring is made of to soft of metal such as the Weaver Grand slam, and the dovetail is taken on and off too many times, slop will occur. Another very good post mount is made by Lynx in Australlia which has the "holes" in the rings. Rings such as Badgers and other "massive" rings were designed after people like JD Jones (Handcannons thus creates the S.O.B mounts way ahead of the tactical crowd) found that scopes having high mass ratios would move in the mounts thus they started using 3-4 rings on one gun. Later manufactures just started making rings with large internal areas so as off set the inertia of really large heavy "tactical" scopes. It is interesting that the surface area of Weaver tip-offs, which have been around for ever, is almost twice the area of a "Redfield" type. Personally on your gun, I would use a sleek design such as a Conetrol or stainless silver set from burris or Leo. Most 7 mags recoil at most in the 25 ft. lb range which is no more than a 30-06 or 270 in the same gun weight. Don't over mount.
Ring Master View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2006 at 11:53

"The slot in the bottom of a weaver ring type does not stop the rings from moving because the slots and the ridge are not the same size."

If this system is mounted properly, there is no way on God's Earth it can move. Using slotted rings of the square recoil lug type in solid bases with a square cut is one of the strongest systems ever designed.

RM 

Ron
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic