OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

weaver grand slam fixed 10X40 tactical mildot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weaver grand slam fixed 10X40 tactical mildot
    Posted: April/25/2013 at 09:05
I own a weaver grand slam fixed 10X40 tactical mildot scope with target knobs and im not sure if the knobs are MOA or MIL. I mounted the scope and checked the tracking with a leupold boresighter that has MOA drop lines built in and when i dial the scope the numbers on the knobs dont match the boresighter ,its off by a small amount after a couple MOA are dialed in and gets farther off the more i dial into the adjustment range.I have checked my other scopes with the boresighter and they track correctly. Anybody have any idea whats wrong ? 
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 13:06
How many clicks until you get to the next number?

See on the left, you count 1,2,3,(1) and on the right its 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,(1)?
Left is MOA and right is MIL.

CROWSNIPER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 20:03
Seven lines in between each number,three small lines then a larger one in the middle then three smaller lines.
I have a leupold with 1/10 th MOA adjustments and 1/4" as well but this weaver is totally off the wall and i dont understand it.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 20:17
can you post a pic and let me see?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 21:39
Sounds like it might be 1/8 moa

Your Leupold is probably 1/10 mil, not MOA
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 21:59
The leupold is the varmint model and i have checked the tracking on it,its MOA with 10 clicks between each one.
I have pics of the weaver and will post tem in the morning to show the turrets and maybe someone can figure it out.
I got a email from weaver saying it had 1/10 mil adjustments but i dont see how that can be with seven lines between each number on the turret.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 06:52
Heres the turret that shows seven lines in between each number,this scope has nice positive clicks.

This is everything zero-ed with my boresighter and the numbers are MOA,my leupolds track them perfectly

This pic shows one complete rev on the turret,which is 12 MIL or MOA i guess?

Another rev on the turret

And another rev.
So weaver says it's 1/10th MIL clicks ,boresighter says it's def not MOA clicks ,anybody know?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 06:54
For some reason the turret pic didnt show up so i will try again

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 08:27
I have been looking at the pics and i notice it has 14 MOA or 4 MILS per rev,maybe i just need to tape over the numbers on the turret and put my own numbers on the tape. 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 08:33
You have MOA turrets.

Each click value = 1/8 MOA adjustment.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 11:11
I think it is tracking a little long on your boresighter because the clicks are in MOA and the boresighter is in IPHY.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 12:33
The boresighter is correct,i have checked tracking on a lot of scopes with it.The weaver scope is cranking out 14 MOA per revolution instead of the 12 MOA engraved on the turret,look at the pics carefully and you can see what i mean.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 12:53
Could you post some pics of the top of the turrets of both the Weaver and the Leupold? And one of the markings on the turrets of the Leupold as well? 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 13:04
I could post pics of the top of the turrets but my leupolds are M1 style 1/4 moa and a leupold 7/8" tall target turret with 1/10" moa.The weaver knob looks the same as a bushnell 10x40 on top just an allen bolt holds it tight ,no markings that i can recall.
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 14:54
Crowsniper, what Bitterroot Bulls has told you is correct. Your boresighter is IPHY, which is slightly less than a minute of angle. See how your boresighter says "8 inches" on it? That means 8 inches, not 8 minutes, just like it says. They're different, though similar. Many (most, it seems) scopes today that adjust in 'minutes' _actually_ adjust in inches per hundred yards, which is why your other scopes track that boresighter card accurately. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 15:11
Originally posted by CROWSNIPER CROWSNIPER wrote:

The boresighter is correct,i have checked tracking on a lot of scopes with it.The weaver scope is cranking out 14 MOA per revolution instead of the 12 MOA engraved on the turret,look at the pics carefully and you can see what i mean.

It is both I think.

Your clicks are running big too.

12moa is about 12.5 IPHY.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 16:39

Thanks for the helpful info ,you guys Know more about this stuff than me thats why i came here for answers.
I hope to try it out tomorrow at 100 yards on a large target and see how the tracking works out.
Will post results in a day or two.
Thanks
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 17:26
Originally posted by CROWSNIPER CROWSNIPER wrote:

I could post pics of the top of the turrets but my leupolds are M1 style 1/4 moa and a leupold 7/8" tall target turret with 1/10" moa.The weaver knob looks the same as a bushnell 10x40 on top just an allen bolt holds it tight ,no markings that i can recall.

I would like to see these turrets. I have never even seen a 1/10 MOA let alone heard of one.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 18:35
I will get you a pic.
Check out the leupold VX-L 6-20x56 varminter with the red splatter on the tube,it has 1/10" clicks.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2013 at 18:58
Interesting. That is the first one I have ever seen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic