OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgb5129 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Scopes
    Posted: April/24/2013 at 19:39
I'm looking into getting a zeiss conquest 6.5-20 or the new model zeiss conquest HD 5-25. I was considering leupold but most people seem to say zeiss is just as good and cheaper. Does anyone know if the HD 5-25 would be worth the extra money? I haven't had a chance to compare them side-by-side.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 21:18
I don't have the models you speak of(mine are conquest 4.5x14 and vx3 4.5x14). I can't tell any difference between the two optically/glass wise. The vx3 is noticeably lighter/more compact - even lighter than the listed weight on the packaging. I have not had to use the warranty on either of them. The CS with leupold(dials) has been cost free(even shipping) and much better than expected(received items much sooner than stated).
Dials with the vx instead of hashes, slashes, dots and circles...
The conquest was a couple hundred dollars more. I like fit and finish, build quality, eye relief and in hand "feel" of the vx3 more.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge...

Edited by rustic - April/24/2013 at 21:46
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 09:08
The Conquest HD5 is better optically and I have looked through them both side by side. It is noticeable. I like everything about the Zeiss more. Although I do like the Leupold if I was forced to choose between them I would have to go with the Zeiss. The one Rustic is comparing is an older discontinued Zeiss which in my opinion is also better. Rustic just seems to have Leupold on the elastic of his underwear.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 09:10
I thought underwear weighed too much.
Doug
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 09:14
What does "in hand feel" have to do with riflescope comparison?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 10:00
Originally posted by jgb5129 jgb5129 wrote:

I was considering leupold but most people seem to say zeiss is just as good and cheaper.

Zeiss "cheaper" than Leupold? Really? Since when?

Maybe the new, upcoming Terra series will change this generalization, but I don't know of any Zeiss scope that is less expensive than any Leupold scope of similar config.

Zeiss "just as good" as Leupold? I tend to think of it the other way around: some Leupold scopes are "just as good" as some Zeiss scopes. Overall, however, I'd hold Zeiss as the standard-bearer in that head to head comparison, except in the category of warranty, customer service, scope weight, and variety, where Leupold has the edge. In terms of quality and performance, Zeiss is superior in most aspects, IMO. This in no way detracts from Leupold; they have a good product, but Zeiss is intentionally targeting a higher-end product line across the board.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 11:04
I've looked over several of the new HD5's lately and I really like what I see as far as build quality, glass, adjustments, etc.  I like their duplex reticles a lot, and I like the Lotutec and T coatings..  There is usually more to the equation than just optics for me.  I always consider the application, mounting height, fit, etc that comes with the Conquest and the other euros, i.e. the bigger eyepiece bell/bolt clearance, etc.  As for optics between the regular conquest and VX3, my 52 yr old eyes can see little, if any difference, and I see little, if any difference between the HD5 and my VX6.   
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 12:49
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

The Conquest HD5 is better optically and I have looked through them both side by side. It is noticeable. I like everything about the Zeiss more. Although I do like the Leupold if I was forced to choose between them I would have to go with the Zeiss. The one Rustic is comparing is an older discontinued Zeiss which in my opinion is also better. Rustic just seems to have Leupold on the elastic of his underwear.

I couldn't find any with Leupold on the elastic for sale. ;)

The Zeiss $200+ better scope for me?? Na, not even with algore's fuzzy math. :)
I think your misunderstanding what I said. For some here "glass" is everything I have no beef with that - never said I did. If you read what I said I can not tell the difference with so called "glass" between the two. I also have never said Zeiss is bad product - just not all that great of a value. I am not a professional "glass tester" - never said I was - I will leave that to others who do that sort of testing.
I will not tell others what is the right for their purposes I don't know their situation - just stating what suits my purposes you know... the Ford Chevy Dodge thing.
Not to beat any dead horses and all ;) the "glass" is a middle of the road concern for my hunting needs/wants to each his own... I guess.

Far be it for me to DICTATE what specificity appeals from one person to the next. The Zeiss I have has been discontinued - maybe for a reason??
Having used both side by side the vx suits my hunting needs/requirements much better... the reverse may apply to the next guy. Depending on things like geography/type of hunting/style of hunting etc.
Out of the two I just like over all product of the vx better...
BTW - the better price certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Edited by rustic - April/26/2013 at 23:30
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2013 at 17:12
hi all just a point off interest how does the conquest HD line compare optically to the S.W.F.A HD lineHowdy
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2013 at 22:35
Both are very nice glass the bigger difference is that the SS is a TACTICAL optic built to handle law enforcement or military use.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2013 at 04:40
ok thanks how would these 2 compare optically... S.W.F.A 3-15x42 weaver tac 3-15x50 i have the weaver and find the glass very good ..works a treat with a gen 3 mono on the back Big Smile cant get a S.W.F.A over this neck a the wood's so will look at the new zeiss Conquest HD line see how it compare's optically to the weaver tacHowdy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic