OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone here SCUBA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone here SCUBA
    Posted: April/24/2013 at 14:06
Taking the class to get certified and just curious if anyone here is certified and dives much?  Spear fishing in the keys is pretty popular and want to be ready when we head back down there later this year.  Pluse there are some spots here locally in NC that are suppose to be big attractions for divers.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 14:37
It's a blast, your going to really like it, different world down there, closest thing to walking on the moon IMHO.

I used to dive a lot but none of my friends (that live close by) do it anymore, I was advanced certified and on my way to master when my dive buddy moved to Texas.

Edited by mike650 - April/24/2013 at 14:52
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 14:47
I'm kinda looking foward to trying it.  Guys are telling me there are places here to spear fish as well that not many people do it but when they do they always do very well.  I've always loved snorkeling and free diving. At one point i was able to hold my breathe about one and a half minutes while freediving, probably can't get to a minute now.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 15:03
I'm a diver.

So long as you aren't claustrophobic and you are reasonably comfortable in the water, you'll be fine.

If you like it, invest in good gear, rental gear always sucks.

And don't hold your breath. And try not to think about Jaws.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 15:40
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I'm a diver.

So long as you aren't claustrophobic and you are reasonably comfortable in the water, you'll be fine.

Excellent
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 15:49

I'm a diver.

Thanks RC. I figure to get certified I'd use their gear.  I have fins, and I plan on buying my own mask for the class but as far as tank, BC, etc, I need to figure out what i need first. 

Any pointers/suggestions on what to look for when I go mask shopping?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 16:46
Don't skimp.  A good mask will fit you well, seal out water well, and not move while in use.  Everything is prone to failure, so always carry extra straps in your dive bag.
Personally, I like purge masks, so you can clear while still looking around rather than having to look up to purge.

A good mask will not be inexpensive.  Either support your local dive shop (and pay more) or find what you like and buy online.  I have bought allot over the years from www.leisurepro.com - but buy the big-ticket items locally (someone with a face and a name to talk about any problems.) I also carry an extras mask in my bag and a "save a dive" kit, for the little things that break or get lost.)

Consider getting a at least a dive skin that fits you well, if not a shorty 3mm suit, rental stuff is OK, but a suit that fits helps allot.

Buy gloves, good dive gloves.  Lots of stuff while diving can be rough on hands (or hands can be rough on it) so get a good pair of gloves.

Get a good knife, doesn't need to be combat tested, and bright handle is good, for when you drop it.  Also, make sure it has a prying tip (no points needed) and a metal cap on the end, for banging on the tank to signal in case you need someone's attention.

Don't buy a tank, they are a pain in the ass and everyone rents them cheap.  If you decide to go full tilt, buy reg set first, then BC.  And after you learn dive tables, get a computer, they allow for split-level dives and much longer bottom times - when use correctly.

Lastly, swim, allot. the more comfortable you are in the water, the more you will enjoy diving.  I am part fish, so diving was a natural hobby for me.

If you want specific recommendations, let me know.  I've been diving for awhile, have tried lots of gear and seen lots of things that didn't work well.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 17:08

I'm a diver.

I used to think I was only mildly claustrophobic.  I considered diving.  I looked into it.

There is nothing mild about my claustrophobia.

ILya
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 18:53
relax, breath, relax, breath....
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 20:38
Like BD said, breath slow and steady, so you can stay down longer. Thunbs Up I used to try to blow small bubbles if that makes sense.

RC has some really good suggestions, fins, mask, snorkel are all you need up front if you take lessons in a pool. You also want a dive log and water proof dive table.

Before your ocean dives get good gloves as they get torn up pretty quickly, whistle, booties for your fins and a water proof watch should also be a consideration.  An emergency repair kit is a good idea (consists of silicon, fins and mask straps, tie wraps, spare o rings, glow sticks, etc). Your instructor should and will go over all this with you.

If you like it, soft weight belt, knife, light and compass (optional). If your hooked then the high dollar stuff, regulator, bc, computer, watch upgrade, etc.

I used to dive on the west coast where we used 6 to 7 mm wet suits. Not sure about the east coast where your at but you may be able to get by with 3mm, in the Caribbean I believe I used 2mm but not home right now to look at my warm water wet suit to confirm.

Edited by mike650 - April/25/2013 at 08:59
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 20:50

FishEekFishDont think about J ...... Dont think about Ja.......Dont think about Jaw......DDDDDDDDDDDont think about Jaws

comforting advise wasnt it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 21:19
you never felt like crapping a diamond until you see a great white from 40ft beneath it.  LOL!   Long ago but I remember it well. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 21:23
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

FishEekFishDont think about J ...... Dont think about Ja.......Dont think about Jaw......DDDDDDDDDDDont think about Jaws

comforting advise wasnt it.
And when you hear your dive buddy yelling thru his regulator, You turn, Only to see an eyeball the size of a small saucer. then you see your dive buddy with his speargun in both hands pushing the 10 foot bull shark off of you and the bleeding amberjack you are trying to get off your spear. Then,
 Don't think about Jaw......DDDDDDDDDDDon't think about Jaws.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 21:46
Big Grin
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 07:54
lol

Growing up on the ocean, I know they are out there, plenty been seen and pulled out the water by yours truely.  They don't bother me.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 07:54
RC, you happen to know what brand/style mask you have and would recommend?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 09:50
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_958/Context_954/Sort_Relevance/DescSort_0/Filter_flid_958_3%3d180/Page_1/OCNMI2.html

Primary

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_958/Context_954/Sort_Relevance/DescSort_0/Filter_brand%3dCressi/Page_1/CSBMBEEB.html

Backup

I have probably 10 masks, these are in the dive bag.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 09:51
And, from above, if you are doing PADI, they will give you log book and dive table when you take the course.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 10:02
Thanks RC  I want to go ahead and have the mask and snorkel for the class when I show up. The rest of the stuff I'll get if I enjoy it as much as I think I will. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 10:09
Do you think  I should try them on before buying or pretty universal that the one you said you had as primary will work sufficient for me?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic