OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

meopro vs swaro z3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: meopro vs swaro z3
    Posted: April/24/2013 at 13:52
anyone compare these? i own a swaro z3 4-12x50.   i noticed the same scope in meopro is about half the cost. i know the meopros are good and if anyone has done a comparison with these scopes i may consider selling m swaro and getting a meopro. i could use the extra cash. just wodering if anyone has compared them or owns the meopro scope and how r they in lowlight? hold zero,durability,etc
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 16:11
I have that scope with a #4 reticle
Comparable to the Swaro glass

Comes down to reticle choices

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 17:10
u hav the meopro? id prollyget the plex reticle if i got one.   
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 19:23

Optics are similar - edge Swaro.

I much prefer the BRH to the Meopta BDC.

The Swaro is much lighter.

I don't think you are giving up much optically.

-Matt
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 19:27
yea imjust using the plex reticle. its jst something im considering. i figure i can get most of my money back if i decide to sell swaro. its almost brand new. and the meopro is about half the price of the z3 so thatd give me the same variable scope with extra cash to spare.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 20:52
I have not looked through/at the other - z3 I have has been outstanding. Swaro CS/warranty service has been stellar the two times I have used it.

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 22:34
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Optics are similar - edge Swaro.

I much prefer the BRH to the Meopta BDC.
 The Swaro is much lighter.
 I don't think you are giving up much optically.

I don't like the BDC in the 3-12x56 MeoStar I tried.
I do like the BRH

I don't know if I would give the edge to the Swaro, have to do a direct A/B contest again in low light.
The 1" Meopro is a lot lighter than the 30mm 3-12x56

The 4-12 Meopro I have for testing is the #4 reticle

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 06:04
the 4-12 meopro hold zero? any glare?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 09:45
Yes, holds zero

Glare?
Please clarify

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 10:06
well. i had a nikon scope that would turn white basically late in evening. a friend of mine said his did the same thing. it was like trying to look thro a cloud.   thats the best way i cam describe it. like right before dark it would do that when looking in a certain direction. like i said a friend had same scope and his did the same. im thinking maybe thats what they call sunflare perhaps?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 10:10
No!
It certainly doesn't do that!

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 11:46
it was a nikon prostaff. it was crazy. will never buy nikon again
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 11:58
Originally posted by Robster80 Robster80 wrote:

well. i had a nikon scope that would turn white basically late in evening. a friend of mine said his did the same thing. it was like trying to look thro a cloud.   thats the best way i cam describe it. like right before dark it would do that when looking in a certain direction. like i said a friend had same scope and his did the same. im thinking maybe thats what they call sunflare perhaps?

That is called "veiling flare" or haze, and it isn't unique to Nikon or any other brand. It is caused by reflections within the optic and off the objective lens. It's controlled by internal baffling, textured, black, and/or non-reflective surfaces inside the optic, and effective lens coatings. It is more prevalent as you aim the optic toward the sun, and can be seen more at dawn and dusk due to low sun angle.

That isn't a huge problem across the board for Nikon. The higher priced Monarch series is better in controlling flare than the Pro Staff, as you might expect. Generally speaking (but not always), high end optics are better at controlling flare than low end optics.

Edited by RifleDude - April/25/2013 at 12:06
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 12:42
Meopro is an exceptionally nice scope for the money, although Swaro is still better (as it should be with the price difference).

Meopro with the #4 reticle is one of the best bang for the bucks out there if you want a scope with good low light capability for not a lot of money (comparatively speaking).

One thing to keep in mind is that the MeoPro's eyepiece is larger in diameter than the Swaro Z3's, if memory serves me right.  It is not a huge diference, but make sure there is enough bolt handle clearance.

ILya
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 13:54
ehhh ima stick with swaro on this rifle then. i forgot about the eyepiece being large. i have small DNZ rings for my swaro and its just enuff clearance. it would prolly hit the meopta. i only own one rifle tho id like to get another for long range shooting. may get that meopro 6-18x50 for that
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 14:01
Hmm
Well, I think they are a tremendous value for a hunting scope they don't really have the long range scopes dialed in.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic