OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new guy needs help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new guy needs help
    Posted: April/21/2013 at 10:34
Hi all,
I am looking for advice on optics for a .223/5.56. It is a Sig 556 DMR with 18" barrel. I want to shoot 100-400 yards with most in the 200-300 range. I will mostly rip paper but will have the opportunity to shoot steel on occasion, so fine accuracy is desirable. I have an AR with Bushnell 4200 1.25-4 on it and I think the glass looks great. I shoot it at 100 yards, and know I want more magnification for longer distances. That is my frame of reference.

Question 1: what magnification range would you recommend? I am in my 40's and despite the miracle of LASIK, acknowledge that my peepers aren't the best.

Question 2: is FFP critical?

Question 3: assuming we figure out #1 and 2, what would you recommend? I NEED to stay below $700, and the less I spend the more I can shoot. Below are some scopes that have gotten good press on this and other forums:

SS 3-9: ffp, mil/mil, great reviews. Is it really that good?

SS 3-15: ffp, mil/mil, not out yet, and $100 more. Will it be as good as the 3-9?

Bushnell 6500 2.5-16: sfp, different reticles, and mil/moa (mildot reticle). Would I regret this? Cheaper to me than the first two. Is the glass and overall build equivalent to the SS's?

Weaver 3-10 tactical grand slam: sfp, mil/mil. Half the cost of the others. Would this be a good starter option or will I regret buying it and toss it in a week/month/year?

I also see some Minox scopes on the bargain list but they appear to be more hunting scopes. Waste of time or will they fill the bill?

Thanks,
Jim
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2013 at 13:39
I have a 5-20 SS, an original 10x SS, and will own a 3-15 as soon as it gets here... The 3-9 is the only model that never really got me interested. But having said that, for you application it is probably the one best suited. The 5-20 is an awesome scope, but it is pretty big and heavy as well. Couple that with the fact that you have to have pretty tall mounts on an AR, and it gets top-heavy pretty fast. My suggestion would be either the 3-9, or the 1-6(this scope is just about perfect for an AR IMHO).
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2013 at 16:04
I own 3 SS scopes. The 5-20 sits atop my .308 bolt gun and will stay there. As others have already said, this is one nice scope, although pricey and heavy.

The 1-6 and 3-9 both get their chance to ride atop my AR. Both have their place, but I will say this, if your primary goal is shooting paper, why not have all the magnification you can get?

My peeps are not the best either, and I can say from personal experience, that when at the range aiming for the 10 ring or 1" orange adhesive circles, the extra 3 X from the 3-9 is mighty welcome. As you go out further to 200, 300, 400 and want to see the same small area to shoot at...... well you get the idea.

The 3-9 would be a good choice, but for $100 more you can try the 3-15. If it's not for you, you can always flip it and not lose much if any money on it. On top of that, you also get a warranty that is among the best out there.

At the end of the day, the choice comes down to you. If it were me in your shoes, I'd opt to try the new 3-15. You said it yourself, your eyes aren't getting any better with age (same here), so why not have a little extra magnification and not need it, versus need it and not have it?
Jim in FL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2013 at 16:32
Thanks for the opinions folks. I'm not worried about big and heavy since the 556 is too. It has an 18" bull barrel and full rail with bipod so its's a pig. My inclination is toward more magnification (hence the scope for 100 yard shots), but being pretty inexperienced in the whole rifles and optics thing, I wasn't sure if my tendency toward more magnification was just overkill.

I'm kind of getting the impression that it comes down to personal preference and there is no "right" answer? At least for casual shooting? I can see where some options might be quicker for multiple targets and different distances, but at least at this point, I don't know that that is my thing (famous last words).
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2013 at 21:36
The 3-9 SS has enhanced glass over the 3-15 SS. Better glass will let see more definition than a higher magnification scope with lesser quality glass. The 3-9 is a true workhorse in the SS lineup.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 13:46
As much as I like the 3-9 for all around "field use," for this application I'd definately go with the 3-15. I haven't spent much time trying to discern the difference in glass when both are on 9X, but shooting them side by side at paper it's no contest--the 3-15 allows you to see much more detail.  For this application I'll take the magnification and parallax adjust every time.
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 16:48
Well, I've got a SS 16x on my 20" AR-15 and it works well for me.  I don't have any experience with SWFA's newer models, but they get good marks.

I'd rather have the magnification and not need it, than to need it and not have it, is always my opinion on matters like this.  I'm 51 and wear glasses, so my eyes kind of suck without them.

I'm a Bausch & Lomb/Bushnell fanboy and own three Elite 4xxx scopes.  For my needs, I can live with SFP scopes, as I'm not generally ranging on the fly.  Even if I do need to range something, it's really only a tad slower with a SFP scope, vs. a FFP.  Turn the mag ring to X, Y or Z power and go.

I put their (Bushnell) SFP 6-24x50 30mm, SF, mildot on my 308 Savage LE2b and it works well, for not a lot of cash.   I've got two other B&Ls on a 7RM Sendero and a Savage 12 VLP in 22-250 and all are well engineered, have very good glass and didn't break the bank.

If you want something Tacticool, than first one might fit the bill and leave you a little change for some ammo, or rings and a rail.

I also like the Zeiss Conquest with mildot and target turrets in the 6.5-20x50 range, but they've jacked up in price since I bought my 4.5-14x50 in '05.

Chris  
Jim in FL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 18:27
Thanks for the input. I am neither tactical nor tacticool (just ask my wife). But I do like shooting and am most interested in what will maximize my fun. And it sounds like decent optics and slightly higher magnification may do just that.

Jim
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 18:41
Originally posted by Jim in FL Jim in FL wrote:

Thanks for the input. I am neither tactical nor tacticool (just ask my wife). But I do like shooting and am most interested in what will maximize my fun. And it sounds like decent optics and slightly higher magnification may do just that.

Jim

I own a Schmidt Bender 5-25x56 P4 PMII, so yeah...you can go ape sh*t on this stuff.  Most of my scopes and I think I have eight right now, are in that $450-$600 range and work well.

Buy right, buy once, cry once, as we say.

Where in Florida are you?

Chris
Jim in FL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 19:06
I hear you on the buy right idea, however I think if I get it too right I will be shopping for a new wife next... I'm in Tallahassee, the cesspit of Florida politics.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 20:31
Jim have you settled in on a price range?
I dont think you can go wrong with any of the Super Sniper models but you need to gear the selection of magnification to how the rifle will be used.  The other possible is to eventually have more than one type of scope for the rifle mounted in quick detach mounts like Bobro or La Rue which will come back to zero when placed back in the same position on the rail. If you plan to hunt anything that moves fast like a coyote you need a low power.  If you plan to shoot small targets like prairie dogs and paper there is no such thing as having too much magnification or too good of glass. If you really dont know what you will use it for the 3-9 x42 is a very forgiving choice which can be used for a lot of different uses. The new
3-15 is made in the same style as the fixed power non hd scopes so the 3-9 will have a bit better glass and the HD type knobs use a single screw at the top which makes them more easy to re-set than the three hex screw style of knob. Still there is a LOT of room between 9x and 15x and I really like the 3-15 power range so this will be an incredibly popular scope if you want one order early by phone and be sure to ask if it is in stock.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Jim in FL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 18:32
Unfortunately my budget probably tops around $750. And cheaper is probably better for now since we are doing work on the house...
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 20:37
How would you feel about a fixed power target scope with a quick detachable mount that will return to zero if you should desire to remove it to run iron sights etc.?
SWFA Precision Optic 30mm Mount SWFA Precision Optic 30mm Mount
Stock # - SWFA201300
  • Low
  • Slightly Forward
$209.95 
SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS16X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
$299.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Jim in FL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2013 at 11:46
I am not opposed to a fixed power but this rifle is optics only. I am very interested in either the SS 3-9 or 3-15. From what I can tell, the big differences are:

Magnification
Better knobs and glass on the 3-9
Parallax adjustment on the 3-15
$100.

Is this about right? How do the Weaver Tactical 3-15 or 4-20 stack up against the SS's? The Weavers appear to fall in about the same price ballpark.

Thanks again.
Jim
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2013 at 17:51
The Weaver is also a nice scope.  Of this group I am most familiar with the SS 3-9x42 it is awesome. I would feel very comfortable buying the SS 3-15 also and in fact had one ordered then decided I needed to wait due to some dental bills.  I dont have either of the Weaver models but they would be a good choice as well.  Typically I find that I get a lot more value for my dollar with the Super Sniper line because there is no middle man in the sales process like there often is with other items.  In that price range I would also take a hard look at a used Trijicon 5-20x50 they have excellent glass and great illumination but only have 50 moa of internal adjustment and  1/4 moa clicks still its a great scope.
SPL18223 Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view TR232G, Matte, Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
$899.95
SPL18224 Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view TR23R, Matte, Red Triangle, 30mm
$849.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic