OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 10BA 6.5 Creedmoor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage 10BA 6.5 Creedmoor
    Posted: April/20/2013 at 15:25
Hello to you all,

Well Im seriously considering buying a LR Tactical Rifle. Its the newest of the Savage model 10 BA, Im talking about the Savage 10BA 6.5 Creedmoor....
Ive been thinking seriously about a 243 or 260, but I really like this rifle.
Also the caliber 6.5 Creedmor is very impressive eventhough it matches the 260 ballistic wise.
I also see that Nosler is going to be making both loaded amm and brass so its not just up to Hornady alone anymore. Now there will be 2 mfg.s for brass, I just wish lapua would join in making brass.

Ok, so I would like to hear the experience of those who own this caliber (6.5 Creedmor and the pros and cons as you see it through your experience please. Also reloading experiences...

Thanks!
J..
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2013 at 19:22
I don't have one, but have shot against them plenty... The 6.5CM is a very accurate round and the good news about reloading it, is Hornady puts its recipe on the box for it's factory load.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2013 at 23:57
I have owned, shot and hunted with the .260 Remington (Kimber 84 Classic) and am a fan.  A Savage in 6.5 Creedmore is on my wish list.  The Creedmore and .260 Remington are nearly identical ballistically.  Among design criteria for the Creedmore were a shorter, fatter case with longer case neck and chamber dimensions that theoretically offers more flexibility with bullet seating depth for heavier bullets and the longer VLD style bullets without sacrificing case capacity or infringing on magazine length in short action rifles. Being a newer cartridge I'm not sure what information is available to substantiate the success of the theory.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2013 at 13:19
I have not seen one yet Julio but it sounds like an ideal cartridge so I hope you can find one.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 10:26
Hey Wes,

Yeah, I found a 10BA in 6.5 Creedmor locally...Its pretty heavy, almost 15lbs naked. Which is really ok since I do not need it for anything other then a bench, maybe prone...The best news is on this caliber is that Nosler and Hornady both make really decent hunting and target rounds, all though not inexpensive by any means..

The other rifle Im looking at is the Savage 12 Long Range Precision. There is no pic up on the Savage site right now though. Ive heard that HS or Savage has come up with a little more tactical style stock for it..Im still contemplating between 243, 260 and 6.5 Creed...
Since I do reload, it is nice to know I can use 308, 7mm-08 or 243 brass to reload the 260 Rem. or vice versa....Lapua makes 243 and 260 brass as well which is a plus for RL.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 13:26
Julio I absolutely hate the idea of using a case that is marked one caliber and altering it into another caliber because one day someone will surely pick up one of those loads and chamber it in what is says on the back of the case - its Dangerous.
   I dont think of a 15 pound rifle as a hunting rifle but for bench work target shooting the more weight the rifle has the better it will be for you because you really cant take much recoil abuse.   The Savage 12 comes with a traditional pattern stock so you probably would not like it unless you changed the stock.  You could probably ask Savage if you can get one in the McMillan stock as a special order from the factory.  They do make Model: 10 FCP McMillan in .308 in the law enforcement series - should be the same with the 12 being stainless, or just order in a stock knowing you will change it out. By the time you do that, you spend as much as the BA series rifle and the BA series has the heavy barrel and compensator so very low recoil.   

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
INDNAGENT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INDNAGENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 13:47
Yes, yes and yes on the 6.5 Creedmor IMHO this is the best all round made. I built my AR chambered in 6.5 Creedmor and it is deadly accurate mine has a 24'barrel that I sent to be cryo'd. I use mine with a Trijicon 5x20x50 scope. I've hunted Elk in Colorado, Whitetail in Oklahoma and killed tons of feral hogs in Oklahoma and Texas. At 500 yards it's shooting sub moa groups. If your looking for an off the shelf rifle look at the Ruger M77 my buddy has one in 6.5 and he swears by it. The AR i built is a little heavy like and long action AR-10 rifle. Go for it you wont be disappointed!BanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBanditoBandito
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 21:35
Welcome to the OT indnagent.

Y are you shouting?Thanks for the info on the RugerM77.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 02:44
[QUOTE=Urimaginaryfrnd]

Julio I absolutely hate the idea of using a case that is marked one caliber and altering it into another caliber because one day someone will surely pick up one of those loads and chamber it in what is says on the back of the case - its Dangerous.

I agree,point well made Wes. Especially with my poor memory, mismarked brass is an accident waiting to happen!

I think Im going to go with the Savage 12 Long Range Precision in 260 Rem...I can always install a McMillian or Manners stock on it, it would be a nice addition to have a adjustable stock, comfortable is cool!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 06:15
Bought my better half the new Savage Lady Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor last year and for a rifle with a skinny little barrel it's a real shooter. It's also a killer on Whitetails.

Peddler Excellent Excellent Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 08:30
The Long Range Hunter Model 11/111 is also available in 6.5 Creedmore like the 12 Long Range Precision. Is there a chance that the store where the 6.5 C in the Savage BA would let you trade in something toward that purchase.  I tend to think that the 6.5C would be a better choice long term as it is a new cartridge that is quickly catching on and was developed to be a 1000 yd match caliber where .260 Rem just never really caught on very well not even as well as 243 and 7mm08 which are on both sides of it. I think that 260 Rem brass will be much harder to come by than the 6.5 Creedmore brass and they actually have a couple of boxes of that on the shelf here last time I was in the store along with a pile of 280 Rem brass seems like very few have rifles chambered in those so far.  Of the two cartridges I would select the 6.5 C and rather than drop to 260 Rem I would go with a .243 Win because that is one of the old cartridges that is everywhere.  The 6.5 C was intentionally developed for long range target shooting for those who dont want the recoil that other long range cartridges have.  So for what its worth I recommend against the .260 Rem and in favor of 6.5C or .243 or 7mm08.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 12:20
I was in the same position as you. Trying to decide between the 260 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. And everything I have read came down to this comment, "Put simply, the 6.5 Creedmoor is what the 260 Remington should have been.".
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 12:40
Ive decided to scrap the the idea and buy a Remington action and a heavy Lilja target barrel in 6.5x284. Not sure on which tactical style stock Im going with yet.
Anyway, Thanks for the info folks!
J... 
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2013 at 09:11
Howdy J,
Now that you've decided to build that rifle with more getalong, all you have to do is figure if you want to build it on a long action for more options in c.o.a.l. and if you do that, whether to make it an oh-so-fine 6.5-06 and maybe I shouldn't mention twist rate and get you all confused... hope you have as much fun building it as I had posting this.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2013 at 09:39
Julio, I am not going to disagree with you going the custom route. But why 6.5/284? I know it a great caliber, but it also eats barrels. And to get the most out of it, it should be run out of a long-action. IMHO, if your going to custom, I would stick with 6.5 Creed. The accuracy is still great, Barrels will last about 3000-4000 rounds, and you still get the same ballistics of a 300 WM pushing 190gr SMK's at 2950fps. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2013 at 16:20
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Julio, I am not going to disagree with you going the custom route. But why 6.5/284? I know it a great caliber, but it also eats barrels. And to get the most out of it, it should be run out of a long-action. IMHO, if your going to custom, I would stick with 6.5 Creed. The accuracy is still great, Barrels will last about 3000-4000 rounds, and you still get the same ballistics of a 300 WM pushing 190gr SMK's at 2950fps. 

Bill,I do understand your point, a good one indeed...I will probably go with a build of either caliber. My last rifle bought was a Sako Finnlight action in 7mm-08, a stainless fluted 22" Lilja barrel with 1-10 twist, then a custom synthetic stock...I load up 140 grain accubonds or buy the HMS Match VLD in the box, either way its a tack driver.This has turned out to be my favorite rifle for everything hunting wise..I have several rifles and now its time for a Bolt Action LR Tactical that has little recoil for me....So the 6.5 family is what Im looking hard at. Im in no hurry! I just know my days of shooting the big kickers is over, I never have liked them anyway. Im a much more accurate shooter, shooting mid caliber rifles and its a lot more fun. That's what this is all about, right? Fun?Smile

Edited by JF4545 - April/28/2013 at 16:29
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic