OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta or Zeiss w 4a? Help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta or Zeiss w 4a? Help?
    Posted: April/16/2013 at 15:24
So, first post on a forum. I am in need of a scope for my new Savage 338.  I had ordered a Sightron Big Sky from SWFA but after a month got a backordered email. So the search goes on.
I have narrowed it down (i think) to neither a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 w 4a or a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 w 4a. I have read the review posted here comparing the 2 with a plex reticle. Do to my location i cannot look thru either scope myself. All my buddies here use Leupold, all of them. Its just whats here, i did look thru a guy passing thru's Conquest w plex and man. it was awesome. Compared to all the leupold's i have looked thru it just seemed brighter and clearer.( more clear?) Dont be angry Leupold guys. And i have always been kinda the one to buy the outside stuff, im wanting a better scope at a better price. Both can be had for $400.
Not being able to compare the 2 makes it hard, i figure i wont be unappy w either but would like the better of the 2 if there is one. Im in SE Alaska, it rains a bunch and is more likely than not going to be overcast and not to bright in the woods.
This will be my main rifle now as the place we just moved to has some pretty big bears. My other rifle is a 270 w a Vortex DB on it.

Is one reticle better han the other in anybody's experience?
I know the Meopta has a bigger eyepiece and that may be an issue with the Savage bolt. Med rings?
Will a 42 mm bell be brighter than a 40?
The Meopta has a scratch res coating, the Zeiss? Maybe not? 
I am not a wealthy man.....I can't order both to see myself cuz my wife might kill me in my sllep if i did. (Not really dont call a Trooper),
Look, any help will be appreciated. Aplologize for the long post thing.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2013 at 16:26
Welcome to the OT DK.  Glad to have  you aboard.  I, personally, may like the Meopta better, some may disagree.  I really like the Meopta construction and the glass.  Don't get me wrong, the Conquest is a fine scope, I just believe there may be a slight edge to Meopta and like it a little better.  I like the "picture" I get with it.  It has plenty of low light utility, as does the Conquest.  As for 42mm vs 40mm, I am sure there will not be a noticeable difference.  Realistically, any noticeable difference between the two will probably be due to your eyes and optical perception.  Pretty much flip a coin and you'll be happy with either choice.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2013 at 17:05
Both are fine but allow me to throw a monkey wrench into the mix. I believe I'd be looking to get a scope with a hydrophobic type of lens coating (for your wet climate). The new Conquest HD 5 has Lotutec and the Sightron Big Sky has their version. To my knowledge, the Meopta does not.

BTW, a big welcome to the OT DW.   Excellent    Great folks here (and then there is me...LOL  Hippie   ).
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
DW in AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2013 at 19:10
Thanks for the quick replies and welcomes guys!
And monkey away.

I wish i could afford that HD 5, but i promised my wife i would stay around $400, she suprised me w that rifle and then we got hit by the tax man.

To the Big Sky, i read somewhere that they were no longer able to put that coating on due to some legal action? Is that not true?

That had been my first thought tho, I had ordered one but cancelled when they put in on back ordered no date status. I had read some bad stuff about it and wasnt to upset.

I will put some BC covers on also.  

No Bushnell no how.
DW in AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2013 at 19:12
Oh and we had SUN for two whole days in a row this weekend!!!!!!!
DW in AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2013 at 16:31
Still havent decided,,,,, any input on this Leupold VX-R?

I just found out they come in a #4 reticle too.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2013 at 18:36
Meopta is going to have the best glass between all 3

VXR and Conquest is close, one guy might think one is better than the other and vice versa

The VXR does have a well done illumination system for low light hunting.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

DW in AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 19:26
I wish i could look thru a Meopta. And size it, im pretty sure i will need med mounts maybe even high for the eyepiece to clear the bolt on the Savage.
Im set on the DNZ Game reapers for mounts, my buddy has them and they r pretty nice.

I actually found a ziess conquest in town as well as a VX-r. You can tell the Zeiss is better optically, but man that red dot is nice. Niether scope had a #4 reticle tho, so still no comparison on that portion.

(Just in case anybody wants to know.)

I did read that the VX-R had an etched reticle but i called Leupold and the guy there said no, it was wire.

Admittedly the guy had to go ask someone else and came back saying all the engineers had left for the day," but his lead said they were indeed wire."

Also he stated the quality of the glass and coatings were just like a VX-2. His words not mine.

Not sure what if any that would count against the VX-R?

Thought i would pass that along.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 23:45
I just bought a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 scope open box demo with a #4 reticle on another site.  Since the Conquests in all but 50mm objectives have been discontinued and most are now Terra Zeiss scopes, you may have trouble finding a 3.5-10x40 Conquest scope again.

I have not owned a Meopta scope but my understanding is that the Conquest glass is also Schott European and is "equivalent" to Meopta.  I also just bought a Leupold VX-3 scope about 3 months ago and compared it to both my Conquest scopes.  The Leupold was very sharp glass but I still favor Conquest over Leupold, at least in the VX-3.  However the newer VX-3 is a very nice scope for the money.
CDR3
DW in AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 12:17
You know what, that is a darn good point OT.

I have only found that Conquest 3-9x40 with the #4 reticle on one site. And only one. I would imagine they will be gone soon and that will be that.

Might have something to do with there return policy or lack of one, 15 days from day of sale.
Scope wouldn't even get here in 15 days.

The VX-R and Meopta will be around for a good while. Thats food for thought.

Thanks
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 12:26
ZEISS will be around for plenty of time.  That particular scope might not but I dare bet they will always be able to warranty it if needed or replace it with a newer equivalent.  Sometimes replacement means upgrade if they don't have the ability to fix or replace with the same.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
DW in AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 13:12
I hear that, I don't doubt it. Zeiss is a powerhouse among optics.

I noticed that those new Terra scopes have a little less eye relief, not any big deal, but that they do not offer the #4 reticle with it. Yet at least.

6 days to order day (payday) i guess i should go with the Zeiss, the site i found it on has it at $399, i think that may be a good deal? For a 3-9x40 WITH german #4 reticle. New.

Hope they still have one in 6 days.

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 13:15
id go with meopta. i had a zeiss 3-9x40 and just didnt care for it. owned a meopro 3-9x42 and loved it . the zeiss' eyebox was too critical for me. the meoptas was mich better. plus the meopta scope just looks better
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 13:23
Meopta glass is "better" than the Conquests

I will have a new Conquest HD5 in soon to compare against the Meopta
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

DW in AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 15:54
So far everybody seems to think the Meopta is the way to go it seems.
I suppose one positive would be that if i go Meopta, or VX-R for that matter, i can order from SWFA.
And for some reason didn't care for it, return it for an exchange. As long as its not mounted.

Although, if im honest i didn't have a great ordering experience with them last time. But everybody seems to think a bunch of them so i want to give them a second chance.

Anybody have a 40mm conquest #4 and a Meota #4 to compare? 

DW in AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 16:26
I forget i have to be more specific, cant read my mind. (i hope)
I mean the actuall reticle, usefulness, thickness, etc. Any specs for the Meopta #4, i found the Conquest ones altho its like greek.
The Meopta looks from the pics on site to be awfull close between the big posts.
The Meopta looks better? Really?

Man that Ilya fella did that review"great" and stated the eyepeice was 44mm, thats bigger than the objetive!! With a BC cover that is more like 46mm. Thats big.
Also he stated the Conquest was "clearer"? More definition? You guys seen that? Disagree?

If im honest i like what i read about the Meopta,

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic