OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Banner vs Sportsman air rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banner vs Sportsman air rifle scopes
    Posted: April/29/2006 at 21:02

Which of 2 scopes would I likely to enjoy the most relative to low light varmit shooting with my RWS 34 .177 air springer: 

Bushnell 3-9x32 Sportsman Air Gun or the Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 air rifle scope?    I have had 2 BSA scopes and as posted elsewhere, they don't hold up well. Won't stay zeroed, etc

Ray
antibeous View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antibeous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2006 at 01:42

I don't know if this will help much, but we can sure give it a try. the banner ( weather really air-rifle rated or not I don't know) is rated for medium recoil rifles, where as the sportsman series is only rated for light recoil rifles. both scopes are advertised as air-rifle rated. I don't know how hard your air-rifle recoils or even how hard a rifle has to recoil to be considered to have light/medium/heavy recoil, so I think I'll go with a scope that is air-rifle rated and rated for heavy recoil; I mean hey, better to have too much than too little, right? Well maybe just enough would be best, but how am I supposed to know how much is just enough.

By the way if you want to knowwhere I came by my information (and you might want to look into them yourself), go to www.straightshooters.com they have lots more than just banners and sportsmans, and some are rated for heavy recoil rifles. Well I hope I've been at least some help. and thanks for your imput regarding my question

ANTIBEOUS

Edited by antibeous
huntnful View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntnful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2006 at 14:24
I also have a 34 RWS, I bought the combo and the scope it came with broke after about 2000 rounds. I sent the scoope back and they sent me a new one, but I new it would probably break again so I put it on my RWS modle 92, and it fine know. I went on the same sight as antibeous and found out that the RWS 34 is a heavy recoil gun, I just order a bushnell sportsman early today b4 ready this forum. It's seems like a better quality scope than the stock scope even though it is light recoil. It will probaly work perfectly for about 3000 round and then slowly diterierate after that. It has a lifetime warranty so I am not really worried. You can save 130$ and might have to send the scope back in about a year and recieve a brand new one or spend the money and get a much higher power scope than needed. It's up to you.
gatorray View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2006 at 20:50
Not wishing to be argumentive, but I got a response from  SS that the RWS 34 is a medium recoil gun!  I've never had a really good air rifle  (Daisy Pumps don't count from yesteryear...) but it sure FEELS like a high recoil springer. I do like the logic behind the less expensive scope with the lifetime warranty, but it is a pain to ship, etc.  I suppose there is always a shipping & handling fee for the "free" warranty  (haven't seen many warranties that didn't require some extra cash outlay). Anyone else have any other words of wisdom?  What about using a different mount?  I saw an Italian product that utilized some springs for buffering the back ring. Dual screw on the C-rings compared to my RWS 1-piece single screws on each C-ring.  The BSA scope I currently use has some deep gouges in it (soft aluminum housing likely).
Ray
gatorray View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2006 at 21:07
Also, are the optics REALLY superior on the "dawn to dusk" Banner scope vs the Sportsman. It appears that the Sportsman is no longer being manufactured and some dealers have depleted their stock. Price for the Banner is $97 vs the Sportsman at $49 including 2 free rings.  Should I go with the Banner because the optics will be better ?
Ray
huntnful View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntnful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2006 at 21:57
I have the new stock scope on my old air rifle and it is not a top of the line scope, probably not as good as the worst bushnell and it's optics are fine, optics really only matter at yards of 100, and with an air rifle I don't think you need to worry about shooting 100 yards.
gatorray View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2006 at 16:45
Well, I guess I asked for it when I made some inquiries about other scope options for my RWS 34 .177. Here are some other suggested scopes ranging from relatively inexpensive to way over my budget.  I would greatly appreciate anyone else's comments about any of the scopes since I have no experience with anything but low end BSA scopes and I'm certain that the 2 that I've had were not rated for a moderate or high recoil air rifle. I am totally unfamiliar with the Barska
line.    Those recommended for a high recoil air rifle included:

BARSKA

Barska 3-12x40 AO Air Gun Riflescope w/ Mil Dot Reticle & Adjustable Objective - AC10008

Barska 2-7x32 Airgun Rifle Scope w/ Adjustable Objective - AC10006

Barska 4x32 AO Air Gun Scopes w/ Adjustable Objective - AC10004

BSA

BSA Optics Air Riflescopes 2-7x32mm A/O T.T - AR37X32

BSA Optics Air Rifle Scope 3-12x40 T.T. with Adjustable Object... AR312X40

BSA Optics 3-12x44mm Air Riflescope with Adjustable Objective ... AR312X44

BSA Optics 4x32 Air Rifle Scope Target Turrets A/O AR4X32

LEUPOLD

Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Rifle Scope - 58520

Swift 6.5-20x44mm High Recoil Scope 686M

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2006 at 05:04

Hi; I thought I'd mention that Burris use to make a Rim Fire / Air Rifle scope in a

8-32x44mm and may still make a Rim Fire / Air Rifle scope in a lower power???

You might want to check them out to see if they still offer one. My guess is that it most likely will hold up better than the models noted above. I know they cost a good bit more, but I thought I'd bring them up on this thread in case others reading may be aware of them too.

I have the 8-32 Rim Fire / Air Rifle scope that I would sell if anyone out there has interest,  just post on this thread and we can make contact. Mine was sent to Burris for a conversion from .250 min. click value to .125 min click value. I'd let it go for $375.00 plus shipping in the U.S. only.

I know some may think that Burris made this scope with .125 min. click value from the start but that was only done from the factory to their non Rim Fire / Air Rifle scopes.

I used mine on a 22LR only.

Can you see me now...
huntnful View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntnful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 22:16
hey, I just ordered the cheaper of the sportsman scopes and it will be in on the 9th, if you want to wait I will let you know it works. L8er
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic