OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

manon binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: manon binoculars
    Posted: April/13/2013 at 10:41
hello, I have a pair of manon binoculars that I received from my brother while he was serving in the army in Souel South korea around 1967. is this company still in business? thanks.
rick
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2013 at 13:26
As far as I know Manon is extinct.

You can ask further questions over at this website.

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2013 at 13:29
During the days of the Japan Telescope Inspection Institute in the glory era of Japanese porro prism binoculars, there were binoculars on the market from a company called Mannon.  You see them from time to time on internet auction sites.  As far as I know, they are no longer in existence.

During that time there were hundreds of Japanese Optical firms and they produced binoculars for numerous brand names.

If these are porro prism binoculars and IF they have J-B and J-E numbers on the hinge, then the optical manufacturer that made the binocular can be found.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2013 at 16:56
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

..there were binoculars on the market from a company called Mannon.
 You see them from time to time on internet auction sites.

Steve,

Did you mean Manon? Big Grin 

Edited by Bird Watcher - April/13/2013 at 22:47
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2013 at 20:04
I had a pair of Manon bino's my father gave me back in the '70's. I lost them about 20 yrs ago, don't know what happened to them, just one day, realized I didn't know where they were. I wanted to cry, still do.
They were excellent bino's for what they were, I remember they had an "amber " colored coating on them. They even had the semi-oval case as seen in some of the ebay ads above.
I would like to buy the 1st pair, they look so much alike. I'm just not trusting of ebay.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2013 at 22:16
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

I would like to buy the 1st pair, they look so much alike. I'm just not trusting of ebay.

I've bought quite few binoculars of this type on the site above.  I had to learn how to fix porros myself because about half were in serious need of attention.  So you have to be prepared for the occasional burn when buying there.

The only one of those three worth consideration is the middle one.  The first is a zoom...stay far far away.  The third has a tiny field of view.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

rickster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2013 at 11:49
regarding my Manon binocs. on the top of them near the eyepieces it has 8X30, Field 7.5 degrees, 393 ft. at 1000 yds. coated optics deluxe lens.    No. 388183. On the bottom lens area it has a number=E22. and another number that looks like B119. I don't know if this tells very much about the binocs or not. Thanks, Rickster.
rick
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2013 at 10:01
These names probably mean little to most people, but there were two companies that made your binocular.The body was done by Itabashi Kogaku Kikai Seisakujo Inc, this is indicated by the J-E 22 #.

The rest of the binocular, referenced by the J-B 119 #, was done by Nisshin Kogaku Kogyo Co.

I have no idea if either one is alive and well today, or if so if they have merged with others and are part of a different company, or simply have gone out of business at some point.  There were several hundred Japanese firms that were part of the old certification process of the Japan Telescopes Inspection Institute (JTII), these were two of them.

Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic