OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trophy Axis Hunt (Picture Heavy)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trophy Axis Hunt (Picture Heavy)
    Posted: April/11/2013 at 12:33

I had the amazing opportunity to go on an Axis hunt in the Texas Hill Country at the beginning of April.  This has been a highly anticipated trip for me, that despite my quite nature, I was imploding to get out and hunt such a majestic animal.

Prior to the hunt, I had to do some fine tuning to the rifle. The rifle is a Browning A-Bolt .300 Winchester Magnum with the Boss muzzle brake system that I didn’t quite understand until I spoke with Ted (Rifledude). After learning how the system works, I quickly discovered exactly what he was talking about.

The trip was fantastic overall. Friday morning CF II and I pack up, fuel up, grab some necessary road worthy essentials and head out so we can make it in time for the Friday evening hunt.

When we arrived the guide was not present and we waited on the front porch until he came back.

He was there the entire time, but was guiding his father on his hunt from this morning.

Once the guide arrived we were quickly greeted by Jason Wallace of Alpha Outfitters.  He showed us around the “Lodge” and moved our stuff to our resting place for the evening.

After we got everything put away in our room, we loaded up to head over to what is known as the “Photography Blind”.

By this time it is about 4:45-5:00 PM and we begin to see movement.

The feeder wasn’t more than 120 yards away from us and we could see the timid Audad ready to rush in the moment the dinner bell began to ring.

All of a sudden the feeder starts to throw, and the guide wasn’t bashful with the corn. This thing must has run for at least thirty seconds.

After a while of not seeing anything of taking a shot on the first night, darkness was falling on us.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 13:18
Fantastic! SUPER nice axis, Sky! Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Good "through the optic" pics too!

Is that place located near Rock Springs?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 13:20
Ted it sure was.

Man! Everwhere you turned there was rocks everywhere.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 14:02
Nice.  Sounds like you have a blast!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 14:04
NOBODY hunts with a 30 round magazine...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 14:15
Dan I said we were waiting on the pigs to come. No telling how many would show up.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 14:44
Those are some amazing pics. Glad you guys had an awesome outing. Man i miss Texas. Always damn deployed to take advantage of the hunting down there when i was stationed in Texas/Arkansas.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 15:03
Paul, am I mistaken, or did you say you were considering moving here (TX) in the near future?

If so, if there's anything I can do to help you in that regard, let me know.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 15:08
Nice pics.  Axis is very good eat'in, much better than white tail meat.

I applaud your use of a 300WM, it kills stuff extra dead.

Turkeys looked to be in need of killing as well, gotta keep the population in check.

South Texas is indeed a great place to hunt, sorry no piggies wandered into your line of fire.  When they do, a 30-rounder is definitely a good thing.

From the wildlife/terrain/topography, it looks allot like the Sonora area.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 15:15
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Paul, am I mistaken, or did you say you were considering moving here (TX) in the near future?

If so, if there's anything I can do to help you in that regard, let me know.

Thanks so much Ted. I'm keeping my eye open on two of our terminal locations near Lancaster and Fort Worth for job openings. Nothing set in stone, but the wife and I agree, given that we do have some family down there already and a few friends, that Texas is the best bet if we do consider a big move.

I'll keep everyone posted if something does materialize.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 16:59
Paul I'd be more than happy to have you here.

Another hunting buddy.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 17:18
OUTSTANDING!!! Excellent
Made my day just reading it and viewing the pictures! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 17:26
anything for you Mark.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 18:14
Unbelievable how good the shots thru the range finder turned out. Congratulations on a spectacular hunt. (Turning Green)
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 18:30
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Dan I said we were waiting on the pigs to come. No telling how many would show up.

I was being facetious...

CFII looks "ready"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2013 at 08:02
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

I was being facetious...

CFII looks "ready"...
Big Smile
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2013 at 08:32
Nice!!!!! Looks like a fun trip.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2013 at 10:05

Excellent!!   CONGRATS,Skylar.

Excellent photos and story.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2013 at 11:29
Fantastic Skylar man I'm jealous, the Axis buck are stunning looking animals. Great pics they really help to show us your experience.
Regards Chris
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2013 at 13:10
We already spoke but congrats again Skylar!!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic