OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Air Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill270 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Air Rifle
    Posted: April/08/2013 at 20:53
What is the most accurate and most powerful spring air gun??
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 21:11
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sam_Yang_Big_Bore_909S/516   You might find this interesting, it's  .45 cal

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_34_Breakbarrel_Rifle_T06_Trigger/402  I have and RWS 34 that I find adequate for squirrels but there are a lot of choices out there depending on your tollerance for cost.   Also note that not too many scopes will hold up to the type of vibration an air rifle spring makes so be sure any scope you put on it is made for air rifles or go cheap and replace as needed.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bill270 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill270 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 21:16
thanks, urimaginaryfrnd. i have a scope and money is not a problem, i just want the best thing on the market to take out all the pest i have at my house and do some long range target shooting as well as hunting
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 22:20
For accuracy I would prefer a PPC over a springer. They are also easier on scopes. Hunting and long range go with the .22 cal over the .177. The .22 is heaver, Hits harder and will carry better at longer ranges and be less affected by wind. The Airforce Condor will shoot a .22 cal at 1250 FPS. This is the same as a .22LR. It will be louder because it fires at supersonic speeds. My favorite pellet for accuracy at moderate ranges is the Beeman Silver Arrow. Good luck on your search.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 23:55
+1 on PPC and .22 caliber.  One I have shot and really like is the FX Cyclone in .22.  Very accurate bolt action repeater.  FX is made in Sweden and quality on several guns and models I have looked at and handled is excellent.  Sporting level spring piston guns are less expensive and there are some very good ones available.  They will eat scopes so if you go that way make sure your chosen optic is specifically rated for airguns.  I've owned a couple of Beeman R1s and liked them but PPC guns offer several advantages over spring piston IMO but I've only been a casual user of airguns so others with more experience may feel differently.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 07:52
I have two powerful spring guns. A British made Webley Scott Patriot and a RWS Diana 350 Magnum, both .22. They are accurate, but the edge on power tips to the Patriot. I have taken raccoon and opossum with body shots from the Patriot.
Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 10:31
I have the Airforce Condor .22 cal precharged 3_tens mentioned above, and man, is that thing accurate and powerful! Yes, it's loud, and yes, it's kinda expensive, but it has a Lothar Walther barrel, and you can dial in your power level. The noise level is just the price you pay for the high velocity. You fill the cylinder with either a scuba tank or a hand pump. I've found I get something like 30-50 shots at full power on a freshly charged cylinder. I use a scuba tank to charge mine. I love it! As mentioned, a PCP airgun doesn't punish scopes, so you don't have to use a dedicated airgun scope.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 13:27
Not to steer this off topic too much...

Which airgun type is the quietest?  Where I live it is pretty important, otherwise the neighboors can get agitated.

Thanks
ILya
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 13:53
The Airforce Talon SS has a 12 inch integral suppressed barrel It is rated as a 1 on a 1-5 scale of loudness. A .22 cal will still reach 800 FPS (subsonic)
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
kolo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 15:07
I have a condor that was tuned by Tony @ Talontunes.com (aannuzzi@yahoo.com)
The work he did smoothed the trigger and made the rifle extremely accurate and consistent.
Up to then I almost traded it on a springer and learned how to shoot it.  A friend of mine has an RWS model 48 that is a great gun (after you learn how to shoot springer).   I can get 40+ rounds  at > 900 feet/sec with a 28 to 30 grn pellet between charges. 
A 17 grn at hi power will do 1250 fps, with a supersonic crack, but it's not as accurate as subsonic.  It is fairly subdued on the noise scale, but you'll hear it hit a squirrel....  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 16:39
Originally posted by kolo kolo wrote:

I have a condor that was tuned by Tony @ Talontunes.com (aannuzzi@yahoo.com)
The work he did smoothed the trigger and made the rifle extremely accurate and consistent.
Up to then I almost traded it on a springer and learned how to shoot it.  A friend of mine has an RWS model 48 that is a great gun (after you learn how to shoot springer).   I can get 40+ rounds  at > 900 feet/sec with a 28 to 30 grn pellet between charges. 
A 17 grn at hi power will do 1250 fps, with a supersonic crack, but it's not as accurate as subsonic.  It is fairly subdued on the noise scale, but you'll hear it hit a squirrel....  

Where I live, hitting a squirrel is grounds for execution.   I am mostly looking for something I can use for shooting practice in my backyard without the neighbors complaining about the sound.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 17:08
Ilya, here's the Talon SS Lile was talking about, as well as the Condor SS. With the built-in supressors, they are pretty quiet, yet still achieve respectable velocity. The Talon is quieter than the Condor, due to lower power level.

Airforce Airguns in general are very accurate!

Plus, except for the barrel blank, they're made in the US...Ft. Worth, TX to be exact.

(Edit: sorry; forgot to add links...)

http://www.airforceairguns.com/TalonSS-s/38.htm
http://www.airforceairguns.com/CondorSS-s/73.htm

Edited by RifleDude - April/09/2013 at 19:31
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
kolo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 18:09
There are some good videos on pyramid air.com and search youtube for airforce rifle - (talon & condor) reviews to see how loud they are

DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2013 at 07:57
I have talked to the Airforce guys at SHOT.  They are great folks. Plus, I'm here in Fort Worth.  I have been drooling over a Talon SS for quite some time.  One thing to consider is that the barrel shroud is just that.  The barrel is recessed within the shroud.  It muffles, but doesn't suppress the sound.  There are some great youtube vids on how to create a real can out of the shroud.  Basically, the ones I've seen use fender washers and rubber hose washers alternating throughout the length of the shroud.  I have an idea to use nylon fender washers in that configuration to save weight.  Really wish I could afford/justify a Talon SS.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2013 at 09:26
FYI, there are a couple in the outlet store on airforce's website for sale for good discounted prices that are blems, still have warranty
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2013 at 10:23
koshkin: look into Beeman R7. Small, light and quiet. Extremely accurate, i shoot 1" and 2" deer/elk figurines at 20 meters in a game of "mini sniper" in my back yard. It has the trigger of a fine rifle. It's .17 and shoots at about 600 fps, but boy it is sweet. Your kids will really enjoy it as well. Most of the time the loudest noise seems to be when the pellets hit the trap. 
evilcoon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilcoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2013 at 09:47
Most accurate

http://airgunner.org/?p=238
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2013 at 22:19
Originally posted by Bill270 Bill270 wrote:

What is the most accurate and most powerful spring air gun??

The most accurate spring air rifle is pretty much a tie between the Feinwerkbau 300s and the Diana 75. Both are recoilless 10m rifles.

The air rifle that is regarded by many as the most powerful is the Patriot.

If you want a powerful piston-driven gun, look at the ones that use gas cylinder rather than a spring. The Weihrauch HW90 is extremely powerful, but does not have spring twang and vibration. You can also vary the power by changing the amount of air pressure in the cylinder, thereby making it a more versatile rifle than a spring-piston gun.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2013 at 22:38
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Not to steer this off topic too much...

Which airgun type is the quietest?  Where I live it is pretty important, otherwise the neighboors can get agitated.

Thanks
ILya

The airgun type that is quietest by far are moderated pre-charged pneumatics. Many of these types do come with a factory moderator or barrel shroud, but can be make extremely quiet by the addition of an aftermarket suppressor. With this type of setup, the impact noise of the pellet hitting the target is often louder than the sound of discharge. Some rifle brands to look at and that make moderated/shrouded PCP's are the Benjamin Maurader, FX, Weihrauch, Daystate, Rapid Air Weapons, Air Arms, Falcon.

A great setup for nearly silent backyard plinking would be the .177 CZ200s (aka Air Arms S200) with a suppressor from Topgun-Airguns. These are very compact PCP's that are known for extraordinary accuracy.

Spring guns will be louder, even a low-powered one such as an R7/HW30. If you live in a house with an averaged sized yard and you have neighbors, they *will* hear the discharge of a spring gun. An inexpensive but well-made spring gun such as the R7 or R9 or HW50s are a joy to shoot and not terribly loud, but none of them could be accurately described as quiet, and certainly none of them would be an answer to your first question.
KrazeLegs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeLegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 09:27
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sam_Yang_Big_Bore_909S/516   You might find this interesting, it's  .45 cal

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_34_Breakbarrel_Rifle_T06_Trigger/402  I have and RWS 34 that I find adequate for squirrels but there are a lot of choices out there depending on your tollerance for cost.   Also note that not too many scopes will hold up to the type of vibration an air rifle spring makes so be sure any scope you put on it is made for air rifles or go cheap and replace as needed.

How accurate is the RWS 34?  I need a good squirrel air rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic