OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 10x42 vs. Others + Mounting Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commandernavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 10x42 vs. Others + Mounting Options
    Posted: April/08/2013 at 19:44
Hi all,

So I have been doing a lot of research over the past few months on upgrading a rifle scope and essentially have (almost) come to the conclusion that I should get an SWFA SS 10x42 for my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical for target shooting.

I was deciding between this one and a Vortex HS that Midway sells in seasonal runs for 500, but have gotten a lot more advice in favor of the SS. I haven't asked here, however, so was wondering what you guys think regarding this scope. Should I just get it for 300 dollars or get something else entirely like a Falcon Menace? I was hoping to spend about 500 or less. I heard I can't really go wrong with this scope.

Additionally, could you guys recommend a good set of rings and a rail at a reasonable price for mounting it please? All the recommendations I received on these were very expensive and I don't know how much added performance I would get out of them.

Thank you very much!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 20:59
I have had most of the scopes in the Super Sniper line. If you are not shy of spending a tad more money they have a New model 3-15x42 variable which would be a very nice choice.  Having said that I put a fixed 16x42 Super Sniper with the Mil Quad reticle on the last rifle I bought and very much like that 16x .
I also have a 6x42 Super Sniper  which is the brightest of the fixed power scopes which is a fine choice for hunting but for benchrest target shooting at the range I really like the 16x.  I have also had the 20x and find that I prefer the 16x.   I have had both the side focus and rear focus and the HD more expensive version of the 10x and I find that at 10x I can not get onto a moving target under 100 yds very rapidly where at 6x I can and when I am working on 200 and 300 yd targets I really prefer higher than 10x. Dont get me wrong the 10x is a great scope and I have never had any trouble with any of them.  One other thing to note is the 3-9 x42 is also in the HD line and is a super value for what you get. Given the choice between a 3-9x42  or the 10x I would definately pick the 3-9 because I could dial down power to brighten the image in low light plus I like the single screw on top of the knob system better when it comes to re-setting the knob.  My suggestion - pick the 16x  or if you can spend more then pick either the 3-9 or 3-15
As for rings and base.  If you want to keep cost down I would suggest you either use Talley one piece ringmounts or TPS rings or Warne rings with a Talley base.  If you really need a strong tactical system then Badger Ordnance, La Rue, Aadland and several others have special features that can be desirable and those shooting long range often select a plus 20 moa base but with the SS scopes they have plenty of internal adjustment not to need the plus 20 moa base. I think the Talley base is a bargain.  

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope
Stock # - SS315X42MQ

This product will be available for purchase and shipment on 4/25/2013

• Matte Finish
  • First Focal Plane
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Side Focus (6m-infinity)
  • OK for .50cal
  • .10 Mrad Turrets
$699.95 
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS16X42MQ     Thunbs UpThunbs Up
  • Matte Finish
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
$299.95 
TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings
Stock # - TPS30570
  • Low (.925")
  • Alloy Steel
  • Mil-STD 1913 (Picatinny)
$77.95 
Talley 1 Piece Base Talley 1 Piece Base
Stock # - PS0252700
  • Remington 40X Long Action
  • Remington 700 Short Action
  • Remington 721 Short Action
  • Remington 722 Short Action
  • Remington 725 Short Action
  • Matte
$54.95 

Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings
Stock # - 214G
  • Gloss
  • Medium (.375")
$44.95 
Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount
Stock # - 730720
  • Remington 600
  • Remington Model 7
  • Matte
  • Low
  • 30mm

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 21:03
One reason I like the Warne rings is they make this handy little torque wrench.
Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench
Stock # - TW1
$21.95 
Down the road you can switch out to more expensive rings if you ever feel the need.    Call SWFA to check to be sure what you want is in stock and to double check ring height they recommend.
Badger Ordnance 30mm Scope Rings Badger Ordnance 30mm Scope Rings
Stock # - 30652
  • Matte
  • Medium (.885")
  • Alloy
$167.95 
Talley Tactical 30mm Rings Talley Tactical 30mm Rings
Stock # - BAT30L
  • Black
  • Low
$164.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
commandernavi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commandernavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 21:22
Excellent response! Thank you! I think I like the TPS rings and Talley rail, however, do you know what the rail is made of? I was told to NEVER mix steel rings and an aluminum rail, but I can't seem to find what the rail is made of. Since this is my first tactical system and I can't really justify (nor understand) what Badger Ordinance rings will provide that these Talley ones won't. Any chance you could educate me please? 

Regarding the scopes you mentioned, I took a look at them, but don't really understand what kind of added performance I would get from the more expensive models like the 3-9 although I can see how the 16x would be a good choice for me. Since my rifle is an SPS tactical and is relatively heavy, I doubt that I will be bringing it hunting (unless it is exclusively at longer ranges). My primary goal for this system to is learn to become a very good shot out to 600 yards (extent to my local range) and maybe use it several times at around 800-900 if I get a chance to visit my friend's ranch. I felt that the 10x would be the best compromise for performance and price while still allowing me to use it at 100 and 200 yards alright. I figured there is a reason the military prefers 10x or less on many of their fixed variable rigs, but that 16x is mighty attractive I must say!

One of the things attracting me to the 10x42 is that I have heard that it is actually a military contract scope which means it is extremely robust and well made with excellent glass for the price. Do you know whether there is a difference in glass between this one and the others on the list? I really hope I am not wrong about this since that is what originally made me really interested in this optic. :) 

MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 11:52
I have an ss 10x42 on a heavy 223 I shoot in precision rifle matches. It is a very solid, durable scope whose clicks are repeatable. The field of view is very wide, too. The glass quality is decent.

If a person is interested in looking at the price range of the HD line, I'd suggest also looking very closely at Weaver's Tactical line. I have one of the 3-15s in that line, and it is an OUTSTANDING scope. The Weaver Super Slams (which the Tacticals are a sub-set of) have _really_ good glass.

For rings, I do like and have had good results from the Talley 1-piece mounts. I also like my Burris Signature rings since the handy polymer inserts allow me to build some angle in if I want to, and they reduce or eliminate scope marring if that's a concern for you. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commandernavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 23:14
I just looked them up and while they look like fantastic optics, they also cost 1000+ dollars :(. Is there anything better that you could recommend in my budget than the SWFA SS?

Thanks!
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2013 at 00:18
Im sure the Picatinny style Talley rings are steel.  Their lightweight ringmount is alloy but most of the rings and bases Talley makes are steel.  If you want to call Talley and ask this is their phone number Phone: (803) 854-5700.
From what you are telling me I would say that the 16x42MQ is probably a good choice for you.  I find that the Mil Quad reticle is what I prefer in that scope where in the 6x I tend to prefer the mil dot and with a 10x its a toss up either is fine, but at higher powers I believe the Mil Quad is a great benefit and I prefer the 1/10 mil adjustments to 1/4 moa because the reticle and the adjustments are in the same type of increment.   The military has used the 10x but the construction quality is the same throughtout the line.  You should realize that the military also uses some very high magnification optics not just 10x .  
6x has a 7mm exit eye pupil so it is a very bright scope in low light
10x has a 4.2mm exit eye pupil so useable in twilight but not ideal
12x has a 3.5mm exit eye pupil  so not as bright as a 10 but brighter than a 16x
16x has a  2.6mm exit eye pupil so not ideal in low light
20x has a  2.1mm exit eye pupil so this willl look rather grey in twilight
As the power goes up you win in some areas and loose in others

With the more expensive group of scopes the 10x HD the 3-9 etc there are differences the most noticable to you would be that these scopes have exceptionally good glass and are built extremely tough.  The 10x HD was also built to current military specs and it is a significant improvement over the entire original group of scopes.   The 3-9 is probably the bigest bargain in the entire line because so many people want that magnification. 
This  HD version of the 10x is the latest military version, Ive had one but I moved up to the 5-20x50 HD which I like better and find that the variable is a huge advantage:
SWFA SS HD 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS HD 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD10X42MQ
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
$799.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2013 at 00:21

If you can talk yourself into buy once cry once this is the way to go:

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2013 at 10:02
Commandernavi, I only offered an alternative IF you changed your mind and wanted to move up in price. I use an SS non-HD 10x for precision rifle matches at basically the same ranges you're talking about. If your target shooting will be 'tactical' in nature, basically meaning you'll be dialing a lot of elevation adjustment shot-to-shot, then it's a good scope for the task, IME. If you're talking about paper, and not having to make lots of adjustments, then you may wish to 'trade away' some of the SS's features in favor of better glass, in order to stay within your budget.

The steel-on-aluminum input you've been given is interesting. I admit to preferring steel bases and even rings, but I can't specify a really good reason. One wonders: What makes it worse to put aluminum rings on a steel base than to put an aluminum scope tube in steel rings?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2013 at 18:35
I think the steel holds up better long term but I have been really happy with Talley lightweight ringmounts on  hunting rifles.  Considering the price Im pretty pleased with the Warne rings also.  When it comes to a  rifle that peoples lives depend on I tend to go high end with Badger Ordnance or La Rue quick detachable rings,  but I would be comfortable with Aadland, Bobro, the Talley Tactical Rings, or Seekins Precision or the Leupold Mk 4 rings.   The TPS seems a good value for what you get but they are not as heavy duty as Badger Ordnance.  

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commandernavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2013 at 02:02
Okay. After a long time thinking about it, I think that the 10x would still be the best compromise for my first rifle. I may be wrong and be kicking myself later for not listening to your advice about the 16x, but the 10x seems better for tactical applications under unknown circumstances (e.g. hunting, multiple targets, etc). I really don't want to limit myself to just paper in the future, and hope to possibly try hunting a little with it. Also, it is recommended by Rex on Youtube who does the sniper 101 videos (I posted a link below, but since I am still very confused about whether I can or can't post links of this nature, please don't ban me, I'm sorry!!) Any thoughts on what he says?

Regarding rings and base, I think I will pick up the TPS rings and Talley base that urimaginaryfrnd recommended. I REALLY hope there is enough clearance at the front. I don't want to have to cut off the front of my base to have the scope fit on the low rings. :/

Any place I can buy the 10x SS used for a better price or any coupons/sales you can think of?

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2013 at 15:16
Here is one off the SWFA sample list.

http://www.samplelist.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P62547.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic