OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What is most important to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What do you consider to be the single most important feature?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [76.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.00%]
1 [4.00%]
2 [8.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.00%]
1 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 09:11

Lucznik,

Apparently you have an issue with what Stephanie has to say.  Just because she works for a company she doesn't have any experience?  I don't see you saying that to any of the guys that work for SWFA that post in the OT! Sounds like you have an issue with women?  I will tell you I don't know EVERYTHING about optics like you claim to know (or at least that is how your post reads).  However, things you become experienced in you don't just learn in a day.  It is something you learn overtime. 

My grandfather taught me how to hold a gun, how to focus (without optics), how to hold it steady and how you slowly squeeze the trigger. 

"By the way, I spent 5 years working for the largest contact lens retailer in the world and I learned one heck of a lot about contact lenses in that time.  I could tell you all about the various major manufacturers, their products, and the prescription parameters covered by those products.  I could even tell you which brands and models were the most popular. Despite that, you would be ill advised to ask me which were the "best" lenses, how to best care for those  lenses, or how to even get the darn things on your eye. ." I gathered in your last paragraph just because she works for SWFA she doesn't use the product. Stephanie, on the other hand, shows that she knows facts along with experience.  Unless you are someone that is close to her I don't think I would be making that comment.

Who's to say YOU know anything about optics?   I have heard your "technique" all of my life, which I am not disputing.  Technique is important, however the purpose of the poll,something you obviously missed, was What is the most important FEATURE when buying a binocular at any price?  Your constant comments on "technique" shows you missed the point of the poll all together.  You can have the high magnification like you want and be using a pair of crappy bino's and use your "technique" and STILL not see the image clearly, because the glass, coatings, light gathering capabilities & etc...  You can't use a lesser quality  and get the same clear picture, no matter how good the technique, as a higher quality Leica or Swarovski.

Next time you respond to a post perhaps you should try sticking to the facts of the post and not personalize your comments by suggesting that another persons OPINION means that they are "inexperienced".  Especially when you have no way of knowing their degree of experience.

Mary

I thrive on knowledge...Help me learn....
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 10:05

Mary you need to calm down and breathe.  I'm worried that you will hyperventilate and that can actually be quite dangerous. 

O.K, breathing normal?.....

First, I don't pull punches simply because the source of an innaccuracy originates from a woman.  That would be silly and sexist.

Second, in reviewing the sum total of the thread and all of my posts, (and with the possible exception of describing my previous work history with the contacts retailer) I have not made comments that were specifically addressed any individual's level of experience, or expertise (and even the aforementioned snippit from personal history can only be reasonably interpreted as a generalized statement illustrating that employment is not the same as knowledge.) I have maintained both a gender and an individual neutral stance, speaking in generalities and addressing percentages and majorities. I also have backed my statements with objective and verifiable facts, rather than with vitriolic emotions.

You are correct in stating that I don't know of your or Stephanie's level(s) of experience.  The reality is however, that I don't need to.  Nor in fact, do you specifically need to know mine (though I'm happy to share if there is interest.) The scientific method requires that we place the greatest weight on the greatest quantity of similar experiences and not on one (or two) individual entities within that group.  I have offered you verifiable examples from various sources which would tend to contradict the basic premise originally postulated.  Instead of getting angry and defensive, I invite you to address those issues.

I'm concerned at your turn from the topic at hand toward a rigid interpretation of the thread's "original intent" (as if there were some specific life-altering goal that we were failing to accomplish by allowing the "conversation" to follow a natural course to other, more salient issues.)  Is it possible that in your research you have found nothing concrete by which to debate the merits of the information I have given you?  I sure hope not because if the matter is that easily settled, I will be sorely dissapointed. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
357mag View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 357mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 10:41

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 11:03

Originally posted by bill47 bill47 wrote:

What is the purpose of this poll?  It didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.  I expected Optical Clarity with a few outliers, and that is what we got.

The point is precisely what you just pointed out as being obvious to yourself, but maybe not others.

If we had the ability to do a poll that would allow you to rate each feature on a scale instead of just vote for one it would look like this poll.

People get caught up in a lot of other factors that are really not that important to them.  You can get spec'd to death, so much that it becomes overwhelming while trying to make a decision.  I hear people say that they bought the Swarovski EL solely because it focused closer.....or I bought the Zeiss Victory solely because it was the lightest weight.  Overall you should rate what is most important to YOU, then start looking for a binocular that matches YOUR requirements.

Most important to me would be:

Optical Clarity

Light Transmission

Durability

Magnification

Weight / Size

Waterproof

Someone else might only need binoculars in a well lit wet setting and most important to them would be:

Waterproof

Optical Clarity

Durability

Magnification

Someone else might have super thick glasses and have a hard time using binoculars so they would want Eye Relief above and beyond everything else.

The next person might be packing in and out and their biggest concern is size/weight.

Point was to make you think what is most important to YOU and hopefully help in your decision making process.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 11:27
Originally posted by 357mag 357mag wrote:

Dang, you are FUNNY!!!!  --and talented!!!

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 11:28
I do not mean to sound judgemental but it may have been more practical and useful if we were allowed to rank optical features from 1 to 5. That would give a better picture as the current poll makes it seem like optical clarity is the only thing (not necessarily the most important) feature sought after in a binocular....at least to my eyes.
Frank
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 14:25
Lucznik, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2006 at 15:29

Whoa there Roy!!!!

I may be a lot of things (just ask my wife, she'll give you plenty of applicable adjectives)  but, a deity I am not (yet.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic