OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper Variable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2005 at 12:06

4.8-20x42

7-30x52

I have the same interest in both! Which ever comes out first is the one I will buy first.

milanuk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2005 at 03:42

Perhaps someone could fill me in on why a FFP reticle on a wide-range high magnification variable power scope?

My previous experience w/ said setup was a Springfield Armory scope a number of years ago... 4.5-14x Gen II I believe.  Normal logic would say to turn the magnification down for close in shots, but below 6x it was so thin as to be useless (all but disappeared into any kind of brush/background... maybe good for a range commando on a paper silhouette).  When the power was cranked up to max, the reticle was coarse enough to be highly annoying when it came to precision work... which is what most people want a high magnification effect for, last I checked.

Obviously, my encounter w/ a range-finding reticle in a variable power scope was less than satisfying... which leaves me wondering why everybody else is so damn excited about it.   I'd been really hoping for a second focal plane reticle of either a plain medium or fine duplex, or a 1/4 MOA dot on a fine crosshair.  I know I'd batted an email or two back and forth w/ Chris a long while back about a 1/4 minute dot option ala Leupold's Mk IV Ultra scopes for the SS16X42 and SS20X42 models, as I've talked to a number of competitive shooters who have no gripes w/ the glass or the repeatability, but have no use for the relatively coarse mil-dot reticle in the 16X and 20X models Any chance that is ever going to see the light of day?

TIA,

Monte

Edited by milanuk
Chris(madrid) View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris(madrid) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2005 at 01:16

The issue with 1st FP is to have a reticle that suits it.

I use a 1st FP HORUS and also a 1st FP Russian thing. With telemetric reticles - imo it's a must. The HORUS is a H2 fine lined version and I'll agree it's pretty useless at less than 8 mag - but would take more than 16 which is the max the scope will zoom to. The russian scope is a 6-24 - and the MILDOTs are in fact (about 1MOA) RINGS (i.e see through) not opaque DOTS - at 6 mag they are a bit fine - but at 8 upwards perfectly visable even in poorish light without obliterating the target at HIGH mag. The scope is let down a bit by the centre mark which is a tipical russian inverted chevron - but OK - I tend to sight in using the RING above and so it's like having an optical DIOPTER (isu match sort of ) image.

The main advantage is I forget about target/reticle reference changes due to zooming. 2nd FP can (not necesarily WILL) suffer from shifts in reticle/target centering as you know too with zooming. 

I almost always end up calibrating and taping fixed my 2nd FP stuff to one magnification so that all relationships are stable (esp "mildots"). I'm a sight-in-and-never-touch-a-turret-again sort of guy too. I dont adjust for range or windage unless it's really necesary. So I like telemetric (esp. multiple reference point) reticles.

Some of the top end scopes use tapered lines so that the lines match the magnification - Recently designed a reticle which I hope will soon arrive in a custom scope. It has a design that allows use at both ends of the zoom range - without affecting either. At least that's the theory. Take a look at the HORUS H45 reticle too.

I guess it all comes down to what you feel most comforatble with. I've tried both (still have both) but prefer 1stFP. 

Edited by Chris(madrid)
jimbo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2005 at 22:44

4.8-20x42

7-30x52

Either or sounds pretty good to me.  Just let me know.

jim
milanuk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2005 at 10:39
I guess my way of looking at it is that my first and foremost use of a scope like this would be as a *target* scope... on the range, maybe at worst on the prairie dog fields.  In either case... ranging reticles, especially mil-dot are not terribly useful.  Just personally feel that SFP would have been better, 'calibrated' at say 10X for those who actually believe they are going to really use the mil-dots for ranging on a regular basis (in my experience, a lot of people talk about it, but very few do, given the choice of a laser rangefinder) but keep the reticle more useful / less annoying for the rest of us at higher magnification.  Doesn't sound like thats the direction it's going, and it doesn't sound like SWFA has any interest in offering optional reticles for the 16X or 20X models... guess I need to start finding a useful variable power scope for long range F-Class.  Time to start saving now 

Monte
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2005 at 15:56
We are listening and are interested in bringing to market what the end users want.  We have to look at cost involved because they would be two totally different scopes internally (FFP and SFP).  If we get enough interest and or the cost is not too high we will consider it.  Different reticles are easy and are in the works right now.
LOBO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2005 at 16:20
Are the variables going to hit the market?
milanuk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2005 at 22:26
Different reticles in the works is *very* good news.

Thanks,

Monte
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2005 at 18:47
Still saving my money for October - almost there!
lonewolfgun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonewolfgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2005 at 16:13
Can we preorder now?
SharpShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2005 at 16:15
im excited!  I posted in the varmint section about wanting a scope for my new Remington 700VS in .22-250 and I had pretty much decided on either the SS 16X42 or Nikon Monarch 6.5-20X44.  I wanted the SS 16 the most but the Nikon had the low magnification ability for Coyote hunting which I really want to do.  As long as the price is right I will definitely wait untill October for the new 4.8-20X42 to come out!  Its the perfect scope!  Tons of windage and elevation, repeatable turrets (my main concern with other scopes), and variable magnification that will work for everything from coyote and varmint hunting to target shooting!   Not to mention superior glass!  Dang im excited!
jmehrten View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmehrten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2005 at 21:00
the first three up to 4.8x20x42.  The 14X is gonna go on my '06, and the 1.7-7x is probably gonna go on an FAL
LOBO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2005 at 21:19
I can't wait until they come out! Is there a release date? What will be the first model out I wonder?
blsnelling View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2005 at 15:49
Id be most interested in the 4.5-18x42 for varmint use and one a little shorter for my cantilever barrelled slug gun.
blsnelling View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2005 at 22:15
Anyone venture to guess what the price will be on the 4.5-18?
SharpShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2005 at 22:27
Actually it's not going to be a 4.5-18X42, instead it is going to be a 4.8-20X42 which will be the first scope to be released.  As of now the new line up is

1. 1.7-7X27
  2. 4-14X40
  3. 4.8-20X42
  4. 7-30X52
The 4.8-20X42 is supposed to be the first to come out around Halloween.  As far as pricing all that's been said is that it will not be sky high and should be close to the rest of the SS line.  To my knowledge this is all correct but I may be wrong. 
LOBO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2005 at 22:32
I am sure am looking forward to seeing them! 1.7-7X27 on my 45-70 Guide gun. 4.8-20X42 on a new 223 I am building.
griz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2005 at 14:39
Can you share any details about the size and weight of the 4.8-20X42 ?
UARS.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UARS.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2005 at 10:20

Originally posted by lonewolfgun lonewolfgun wrote:

Can we preorder now?

What he said ! If theres a way to 'get on a list' for the first shipment of these badboys I'd sure like to get on it. If I can put a deposit on it now it just makes it 'feel' less expensive when I pay the balance !

DaveC

HISPEED View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HISPEED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2005 at 02:11

I have read the cusomer testomonials on these scopes. I am very interested in these scopes.

All those who have posted here, [have you used these scopes and are they as advertised?]

Are the optics any good for this price?  I like variable power but understand fixed is more repeatable.

Could these scopes be used effectively for 3-gun competition? variable or fixed?

It will be mounted on an AR. will there be enough elevation for 600-800-1000 yds???

thanx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic