OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

338 lapua reload

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 338 lapua reload
    Posted: April/08/2013 at 10:23
I am a new guy to the forum.  I am in the process of loading a few 338LapuaMag rounds.  I have never loaded such a large round.  Things don't seem to be so easy.

I don't think I will be able to use my Hornady ProJector as the brass is too long to allow the case to slip into the powder drop so I won't spill powder.  I have had to proceed with single round loading equipment.  Am I right about this.

Also does anyone have experience with this round?  How about do's and don'ts.

normc
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 07:13
DON'T accidently use 92 gr. of Varget instead of 92gr. of Retumbo..... and don't ask me how I know.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 19:38
Damn, Jason! I hope every thing survived that!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 21:39
VV 560 OR VV 570 and don't look back...
No one
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 02:41
No. It didn't. And I'm lucky I did.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 08:37
Trigger are you saying you've messed up a brand new rifle?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 09:47

Darn shame if he did.

First off I'm GLAD your ok!  That's ALL that matters.

Just googling around and only found one unvarifiable load* listed using Varget in the 338 Lapua:

62gr of varget
225 hpbt serria matchking
COL 3.340
FPS=2788

*DATA NOT TO BE USED!!

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 02:35
It is a shame. Kalli is dead. I'm lucky I'm not. Let me just say, I have a rule about only having one powder out at a time. One time I broke it, and it bit me. I was in a hurry, and thought I could load a few up quick and go do some testing. It was a bad idea. If you don't have time to pay attention and be very cautious at the loading bench, WALK AWAY! I'll get Kalli rebuilt, but not before August, and it'll cost me another fortune. That was the 11th round down the tube of a brand new custom. And now its destroyed. Be careful guys!

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 07:09
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

It is a shame. Kalli is dead. I'm lucky I'm not. Let me just say, I have a rule about only having one powder out at a time. One time I broke it, and it bit me. I was in a hurry, and thought I could load a few up quick and go do some testing. It was a bad idea. If you don't have time to pay attention and be very cautious at the loading bench, WALK AWAY! I'll get Kalli rebuilt, but not before August, and it'll cost me another fortune. That was the 11th round down the tube of a brand new custom. And now its destroyed. Be careful guys!

w0w, That is not good..... pic's? I'm glad your ok

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 07:28
Holy crap Trigger.....  Anything salvagable?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 07:53
Action and barrel are scrap metal. Received is cracked and I wouldn't trust using the barrel again. Everything else was unharmed.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 08:03
Trigger, thanks for the warning.
I've been trying to load some ammo for a sight in and a match, but time and a cluttered area have been interfering. I think I'll wait now until things are in better order.

I'm glad you're ok.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 16:44
First, I had no clue of the result.  Safety is key.

Can you post pics???

That would be i believe the best thing that could happen after this experience is to save others lives as well.

No one
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 23:04
Working on getting some. Have to get it out of the stock. Don't even want to look st it right now. It makes me sick. Literally sick.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 06:23
Jason, I am GLAD you are OK.  The rifle is a huge loss, but your well being is paramount.  A very hard lesson and one that ALL should take heed of.  God bless you, brother. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 06:47

+1

It's a lesson you won't forget.  Good in one way but not so in another.  I ruined a VERY EXPENSIVE small block Chevy motor block yrs back due to my own ignorance.  Still makes me sick when I think about it.  Like now.  BUT it won't happen again.  
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 06:49
It was a mistake that you learn from once. Just thinking about it makes me shake. I really shouldn't be here. I have a new respect for what goes o. inside a chamber, and how violent it can be if it goes wrong. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Will make a new thread as not to derail this one any further, and post pictures of the carnage.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic