OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for the Savage 11/111 Hog Hunter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for the Savage 11/111 Hog Hunter
    Posted: April/07/2013 at 13:20
Should have my new Savage Hog Hunter in a few days.  It is a 20 inch bbl in .338 Win Mag.  I am thinking I am going to top it with the Nikon Monarch 1-4x20 with the German #4 reticle.  I have on on my AR.  It is a great scope.  I know I can use it out to 300 yds with ease.

I was going to go with a higher power scope, but then decided it is a good guide gun/close up gun and want the German #4 and a quick acquisition capability while retaining some ranging capability as well.

Oh..that rifle will also sport a muzzle break. 
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 15:12
Sounds like an excellent set up to me. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 16:13
I have looked longlingly at its half brother the Alakan Brush Hunter in 375 Ruger and if brass were not in such short supply would probably already have bought one because I like the feel of the rifle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 16:43

Short bbl'd thumpers are fun.

I see at least two places that show 375 Ruger brass in stock.  But one shows it at $1 a piece and the other may as well be so to.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 19:17
Just got the Savage Hog Hunter in .338 Win Mag.  Waiting for my muzzle brake.  I will be mounting a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10 on this.  The iron sights that come with it are real nice; brass bead front sight post and real nice rear sight as well.  Took off the stock and adjusted the accu-trigger down to the lowest weight and it is a pretty sweet trigger now.  Photos after I get the scope mounted and hopefully the Grizzly muzzle brake shows up soon.  I gots ammo ready to shoot.

Let me know if there is a good aftermarket stock out there for this rifle.   It is a Savage 11/111 Series long action.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 19:43
After you get everything, post range pics

Eagle
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2013 at 05:12
Well getting closer.  Find that the Weaver GS scope and Talley one piece mounts will not work on this long action.  So I ordered a Warne Tactical Picatinny base and some Leupy rings for this rifle.  That way I can get the scope placed correctly.  However, I did get the Grizzly Gun Works muzzle brake installed so here is a photo of that.  Should have the scope mounted this week.  Pics from that when finished.

I have read good things about this brake.  As you see it is massive.  But cool.  Effective from what I read.  Will let you know.

Niccolo Machiavelli
DW in AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW in AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 19:30
Holy @#&% !!!!
THEMAKKER13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 19:33
Nice.  I bet that brake will be really loud, but effective.  However, I don't see a need for the prongs...
Please visit my new site:
huntsforlandowners.com
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 20:05
Originally posted by THEMAKKER13 THEMAKKER13 wrote:

Nice.  I bet that brake will be really loud, but effective.  However, I don't see a need for the prongs...

Ice Cleats

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 07:01
Gives new meaning to pig sticker
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 16:43
Baobby I was thinking the same thing.

Especially if one ran up on you, it would be a spikey introduction.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2013 at 13:58
Looks Awesome! Range pics please :)

Eagle    
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 18:06
Yup range pics plz.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 18:33

HogHunter zero took 6 rounds.  last two at one inch above bull...almost two thru the same hole. I am happy with that zero.

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic