OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tell me how much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tell me how much?
    Posted: April/27/2006 at 18:15
Theses IOR 10X56mm Scopes are being sold for $350.00 each. Does anyone know anything about them. I wanted one for a Savage 10FLP Range rifle.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 09:55

We sell that IOR 10x56 for $559.95

The ones you found are a good deal but fall under the "who cares" catagory because they are 10x56.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 14:35

What is wrong with a 10x56?

ILya

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 14:49

Speaking from a retailers stand point they fall into the "who cares" category because they are large, fixed power, heavy scopes that have to be mounted using super high rings.  That is probably why they are priced so cheap due to the lack of demand.  People can accept a scope that is a fixed power or heavy or large but not all of the above.

From a manufacturers stand point it makes since because most people that shoot with a 3-10 keep it on the highest power and the 56mm gives you a 5.6 mm exit pupil.  But what's right and what sells are often two different things.  Leupold is good at making what sells.  European companies are good at making what's right.

Just my opinion.

I can't think of any gun that I have that I would want to use that scope on, even it they were $200. ea. I would be afraid to buy one because I think I would be stuck with it.

What do you think ILya?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 15:21

I guess I am in a different category with this. 

I obviously can't speak from a retailer point of view, but from a user point of view I prefer 10x56 to 10x42.

I would not put a fixed 10x scope on a rifle that has to be carried a whole lot; just not enough flexibiilty.  For something that need to be used for anything other than long range shooting off the bench I'd go with a variable or with a fixed 6x.  It would go on a heavy rifle to shoot pretty far out (so narrower field of view is not a big deal).  I have no problem whatsoever with mounting a scope high for as long as the stock is properly set up for it.  In all fairness, with all the AR-type stocks that have no drop whatsoever out there even for bolt guns, a lot of 40mm scopes get mounted very high.  Just as high as 56mm lens scopes would sit. 

Now, if I were in the market for a 10x scope, I'd probably get a Super Sniper simply because it is much cheaper (and because I do not have one).  But if I could get a good 10x scope with a 56mm objective lens for similar money I'd go with that. 

I am sure I am in a minority with this point of view.  One look at how many 10x42 scopes are out there compared to 10x56 confirms that. 

However, I think that variable scopes have been around long enough and have proven to be durable enough to make sure that fixed 10x scopes will disappear from the battlefield in not too distant future.  Super Sniper 10x42 may hold out longer than others due to price, but it will also be in decline.  If you manage to make your Super Sniper variables comparably tough and reasonably priced, I think you'll have a substantial market segment cornered.  Super Sniper has enough name recognition to become a pretty dominant player in a "tactical variable" segment for as long as many soldier can buy their own equipment.  There are a lot of people out there who are not happy about spending their kids' college funds on USO and S&B scopes.  The same people do not think that what they perceive to be "hunting scopes" is durable enough.  Super Sniper has true tactical pedigree and if the variables are cheaper than Leupold Tacticals, they should do well.  If they have  FFP reticles than they'll end up ownign this market.

Just some thoughts.

ILya

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 15:36

We agree with your assement in regards to our SS line.  Can't wait.

Check out this odd duck on the SampleList.com site.  They don't offer them in the U.S. market.

5716 Kahles 10x50 Fixed Helia Click for Picture 51422, Matte finish, 1" tube, 7A reticle, fast focus eye piece, close to new condition. $1,079.00 $799.95

I bought it several years ago because it was different and neat, guess no one else thinks so.

Edited by Chris
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 17:46
That's a nice scope.  I've never seen one of these.  I've played with 6x Kahles scopes, and I thought they were excellent.

I guess the catch is that not a lot of people would be willing to drop eight hundred bucks on an unusual scope, although I would expect it to offer a lot for the money.

Do you think this scope offers better glas than the 10x IORs?

ILya
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2006 at 10:20
Better glass, coatings and construction but not enough to justify the price difference.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2006 at 22:27

I like it but  I have a Leupold Mark 4  10x M3 so I think that the 10x fixed are still alive and well even though the marines are demanding a variable. I will say that I think that a fixed 6x Super Sniper if one was made might be a better choice than the 20x SS that I have. The 20 is just too much scope in a fixed power for me but my 10x M is awesome. My Mark 4  8.5-25 on the other hand can be carried at the 8.5 setting which is workable as it is less than 10x. I have looked at the 56mm scopes that Nightforce and Springfield Armory made and the 56mm is just too much for me  -  I could probably get  used to it,  but at first look it appears too bulky.  ( But "clunky" is defined  in the eye of the beholder  Example: I have an issue with the current trend of taking a light fast M4 and hanging so much electronics and accessory rails on it that it weighs more than an M1 Garand.) I have a 4.5-14x50  30mm VXIII that I really like.  I prefer the turret knobs the height of the M3 and find the M1 and Leu Pr knobs to be too high. The turret knobs on the Super Sniper seem to be quite sturdy and easy to get my hands on - they even look sturdy -  but if they were a little shorter closer to the body of the scope I'd be happier. The IOR turret knobs seem too small. I was a little surprised to find Burris latest tactical with high power ranges to have 1moa clicks - definately aimed at a combat market. What would you think about a Super Sniper 6x42 with 1moa clicks and side focus I think that would be a lot hotter seller  than a 16x or a 20x and easier to build than a variable.

As for the Kahles 10x50 for the same money I would rather have a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 30mm tube scope with a varmit reticle.     When it comes to ruggedness there will always be some guys who want a fixed power because they have less parts and less to break and sometimes "less is more"

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 16:06
I think you're on to something, Urimaginaryfrnd. A 6x fixed from SS would be great. I have been eyeballing the IOR fixed power scopes(6x42 tactical 30mm in particular) and think that would would be a great match for my AR. Speaking of the IOR scopes, does anyone have any experience with their 6x30 35mm models?
catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2006 at 16:36
Received IOR 10X56mm today and was not able to mount it properly. IOR mounts & rings on back order at SWFA. Should receive a set of EXTRA HIGH Burris Steel Signatures in a couple days.  Scope will be 1/4" above barrel on my Savage 10FLP Tactical. Will add picture(s) as soon as I mount big Bertha. I am ecstatic about the clarity of the glass. I have a Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10 X 56mm on my "A" Bolt 270WSM and the IOR is as clear and crisp as the Nikon.
I not going to carry the 15 pound bench gun to war. After all, I'm 60 years old and only need to go outside to my picnic table and focus on unwanted visitors at the end of my quarter mile driveway. I have a 300 yard range with the Sun to my back outside my basement door. Actual have shot Crows at 200 yards on fence post just to be killing something.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic