OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

base and rings for savage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: base and rings for savage
    Posted: April/26/2006 at 20:42
Just got a Savage 12fvss and put a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12-50 scope on it. Ran out of elevation adjustment on scope and still shooting 2" low at 100 yards. Have leupold base and rings. any ideas?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2006 at 02:22

Hello.

Take the scope back off.

Take the scope and run the elevation adjustments all the way up and all the way down. 

(Be careful not to run the adjustments past where they stop.)

Try to find the mechanical center of your scope, W and E and retry. 

You don't have the bases on backwards, do you?

Not sure about Savages, but Remingtons can only be put on one way.

Welcome to The OT!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2006 at 12:38

What mounting system are you using? standard or weaver?

Do you have a picture of it?

ILya

peake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2006 at 19:26

I bought the gun with the scope on it. It has a one piece leupold base with adjusment left and right on the base. It is installed with the adjustment screws at the rear. Is this correct? Thanks for the help

David

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2006 at 00:57
OK, so that's the "standard" mounting system.

Then it sounds like it is installed correctly.  To be honest I am not a big fan of this mounting system and I would consider switching to Weaver/Picatinny-type base and rings.  If you can't dial it up enough, than most likely something is wrong with the dimensions of base/rings (unless the scope is FUBARed).  If you have to replace the rings or base, might as well get something else.

ILya
hotshot110 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotshot110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 01:20
I ran in to the same problem with a weatherby svm and a leupold vx-II 3-9x50.what happened was that the rings i bought where actually to tall even for the 50mm objective.switched the rings out for burris signatures in lower height and problem was solved. I don't know if this will help you out any but it could be a place to look if you are stuck on the setup you have.
peake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 14:29

I checked scope and it is only adjusting about 1/4" for every 4 clicks. I have spoken to Nikon and the said that I needed to send scope back for warranty work. I will let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks for all your help. David

peake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2006 at 22:21
Just received letter back from Nikon. Stated that adjustment was out of alignment and that it was not covered by warranty and would cost 162.50 to repair. Anyone else had dealings with Nikon warranty. This is a brand new scope so I thought they would at least guarantee it to work. Go figure.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 04:10

Originally posted by peake peake wrote:

Just received letter back from Nikon. Stated that adjustment was out of alignment and that it was not covered by warranty and would cost 162.50 to repair. Anyone else had dealings with Nikon warranty. This is a brand new scope so I thought they would at least guarantee it to work. Go figure.

That's total BS!!

If what your saying is true, Nikon CS sucks!

What happened to Nikon's "No Fault" warranty??

I know a gunstore owner that sold a Monarch to a guy that dropped his rifle out of a tree stand, landed on the scope, busted the scope in half, and Nikon replaced it free. Admittedly this was a few years ago, but damn!!!

Where did you buy the scope?

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 10:32
I've heard bad stories of Nikon's customer service, but this is pretty atrociuos.  I'd try to go to the guy's manager.

ILya
peake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 23:06
Just got email from Nikon customer service. They said that they had made an error and that they would repair under warranty. This was after I emailed them and asked them to explain why a brand new scope would not be covered. Will let you know how it works out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic