OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Glock 19 Gen 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glock 19 Gen 4
    Posted: April/02/2013 at 11:35
I scrolled though the forum and forgive me if I missed it, but anyone out there have the Glock 19 Gen 4.  Looking at the compact but have read a couple gripes about jams due to the mag./ramp.  Thinking of getting one soon and wonder if anyone has one and encountered any problems.  Most of the reports I've read have been positive.
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 11:50
My Grandaughter has one of the Gen 4 and she says she has never had any problem. She thinks she has shot about 700 rounds. I have handled it and I like the feel better than my Glock 22. I think it is a first or second Gen. The 2 stage spring in the Gen 4 is a nice feature.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 19:11
G19 Gen 3 owner here. Great handgun...zero problems. I carry mine concealed on my hip every day. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 19:40
Thanks for the replies.  Might be out shopping tomorrow.  I know the Glocks have a good reputation for reliability.  Will post pics when I get one.  They don't stay on the shelf too long.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 19:41
Most Glock "jams" are due to limp-wristing and blamed on something else... I have thousands of rounds through my Glocks and have never had a jam...  they are almost indestructable.  One of these days, I'm actually going to clean them... maybe...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 05:30
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Most Glock "jams" are due to limp-wristing and blamed on something else...

OR....they change out the Glock original parts for have to have "upgrades" and start having problems. 

Buy it....shoot it...and leave it alone. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 06:10
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Most Glock "jams" are due to limp-wristing and blamed on something else...

OR....they change out the Glock original parts for have to have "upgrades" and start having problems. 

Buy it....shoot it...and leave it alone. 
Yea, I forgot about that... I don't do that...  works "as is", remains "as is"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 08:57
Ive shot some of the Gen 4 and I like the changes that were made.  Our duty guns are still Gen 3.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 09:40
The best upgrade for civilian use was the incorporation of the progressive recoil spring. This will reduce some of the limp wrist's effect on ejection.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 10:05
I had a hell of a time finding a Glock in my area recently, people are buying anything and everything in sight.

If you can find one, get it!

Being a recent owner (and long-time not liker of Glock) I agree that few things should be changed.  I swapped the stock sights for better night sights, and I had some trigger work done - all else is stock. So far, I like it; trigger is nowhere near as nice as a good 1911, but there are other things to love about them.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 10:19
I agree with Kickboxer, and Cheaptrick on the limp wristing and swapping out for non Glock parts (other than sights).
The Gen. 4s were just coming out when I took my third Glock armorer recert course, but the Gen. 4s were not covered other than to say the parts will not interchange with other generations. If I hang around another year, maybe they'll cover the Gen. 4s in the next recert course.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 10:47
I'm hoping I can just go out and find one (hopefully today).  Even if I can find one, no guarantee I will find any ammo for it.  The popular calibers...9MM, .223, .40SW etc go quick.  For some reason I though this part of the country would be somewhat immune to shortages...I of course was wrong.  This stuff flies off the shelves.  
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 19:06
I think I found the only one in townYippee
Now if I can just find some ammo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 19:10
Nice. Don't change and thing on it and it should give you a lifetime of reliable service. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 19:35
Yep everyone wants one.  I still have that inner feeling that they are a lot like a disposable lighter compared to a 1911 because I cant imagine plastic holding up well forever,  but our duty Gen 3 Glocks are going strong on 12 yrs of the most intense abuse known to man.

now buy mags - the 15 round G 22 mags or the 22 round ones - good luck with that. This photo shows the difference with a 22 round mag in the gun.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/04/2013 at 19:40

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 20:21
At least it comes with 3 15 round mags.
P.S.  I think the 1911 will be found, still functioning, in the fossil record someday.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 22:12
Concerning modifications...
If you wish to change sights, grips, finishes, grip profile, etc... rock on. BUT... if the pistol in question is your CCW or you plan to use it in that role on occasion, DO NOT modify the factory trigger or any safety systems in any way!!! If you ever actually have to shoot a bad guy with it, you're only making yourself more vulnerable in a courtroom by doing so. The good thing about a lightened trigger is it makes the gun easier to shoot. The bad thing about a lightened trigger is it makes the gun easier to shoot.

We always hear the term "a good shoot is a good shoot" on internet forums. This is terrible advice, because we don't get to make that determination. A "good shoot" is only "good" when a jury of "your peers" (who may very well be clueless about firearms) determines it to be so in the courtroom.

In the event you fire a shot in anger, your gun WILL be confiscated, it WILL be forensically examined and compared to a typical example of its type, and the attorney for the deceased WILL be looking for anything to create doubt in the jury's minds that your shoot was justified or even intentional. If you have a trigger that has been made lighter than stock, there's a good chance that fact will be used against you in court to try to show you were negligent by running a weapon with a "hair trigger" and the "choirboy" you killed was a victim of unintentional discharge. The attorney will bring in witnesses who will tell the court the deceased was a kind, gentle soul who couldn't hurt anyone, who's only crime was being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and you killed him because of your negligence. You have to be prepared for arguments against you to be presented to "the lowest common denominator" with zero firearms knowledge. Common sense and logic goes out the window in the courtroom. All an attorney has to do is point to the fact you knowingly modified the mechanical function of your weapon, paint you as "reckless," and convince a jury of same, and you lose, "good shoot" or not. You will not be able to defend the charge that you knowingly modified critical systems of your weapons function counter to the manufacturer's engineers "who know better than you" how the gun should function. Why give a prosecuting attorney more ammunition to use against you? You're going to be fighting to retain your freedom; you don't need another red herring introduced in court to redirect a jury away from the merits of your case.

Massad Ayoob, probably the nations foremost expert in the legal issues surrounding self-defense, has written multiple articles on this subject. He's served as an expert witness in many court cases, so he knows what he's talking about. He strongly advises against modifying the factory fire control system of your CCW for the reasons cited. I read an article a few months ago where he gave actual court cases where individuals who used deadly force were found guilty of manslaughter, and the outcome of the case hinged on the person using a weapon with a trigger pull lighter than factory specs.

Run your CCW's fire control system factory stock. If you don't like the trigger of a given pistol, either pick one with a trigger more to your liking or learn to live with it in exchange for other features you do like.

I tried to find a specific article Ayoob wrote that included the actual court cases mentioned above, but couldn't find it. Meanwhile, read this:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/01/brad-kozak/the-massad-ayoob-chronicles-part-v/
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2013 at 01:19
That's some good advice Ted. I wont forget it.
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2013 at 08:14
+1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2013 at 09:24
Another superbly written, concise commentary from Mr. Dude. Well stated, my Brother. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic