OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ok how about 25.06 for very large sasquatchs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 16:18

I've found that the flavor of bear meat,more than any other wild game I've tried, is really affected by what they've been eating on.  Had one we took in Ontario that fed strictly at a fish dump. Fresh tenderloin at camp was fine but it seems after the meat had been frozen the flavor went south. Dogs wouldn't touch it.  I'm figuring carrion fed bear may not taste all that well?  Best flavored bear meat I've had was from ones eating mast and berries.  In fact I'll say it's my favorite meat out of any game I've eaten. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 16:22
Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

What state is SD, and do you guys eat said bear or is it purely for the trophy?

South Dakota - zero dangerous game nor trophy's of anything in this state. I know of some people who eat bear and mountain lion.

Bear would be on my list of meats I wouldn't want to eat unless I was about to die, along with Elephant, Rhino and all the Cats.
I guess if you are hungry enough you will eat anything though, now if you really want some nice meat try Hippo.

I find it unusual that the States seem to have so much power concerning Laws and such and not the Goverment, a State makes a law and the rest of the people just have to obey it if they cross state lines. Must make for a lot of Homework when you decide to go out of state on a hunting trip.

Here in SA its the Goverment that makes the rules, so it doesn't matter where you go its the same. The provinces all have their own Fauna and Flora branches, so if you go hunting in the Cape and you need a permit for something. You would have to get it there, but that is not a big deal the land owner can get it for you.

The 10th amendment is supposed to give the states sovereignty on most issues. Unfortunately the federal government is trampling all over the tenth.

They say bear tastes like pork(same family) I have heard the same about mountain lion.

Edited by rustic - April/02/2013 at 16:43
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 16:27
I wouldn't cancel a bear hunting trip if all I had in the arsenal was a .25-06. Bullet selection, as always is what's important (right behind shot placement). Pick a stout, controlled expansion bullet that stays together and retains a good % of its original mass after impact, which will ensure it penetrates through the vitals, and you're good to go. Put said bullet in the right spot. Don't take marginal shots.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 16:54
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Black bear is delicious, but it can carry Trichinosis, so it must be cooked or cured thoroughly. Black bears are not vicious killing machines, and neither are grizzly bears for that matter, but griz can be quite dangerous. Both are omnivorous, with the bulk of their diet being vegetation.

The majority of bear attacks are bears surprised or sows with cubs. Bears of any type hunting humans is exceedingly rare, but it has happened, and even recently.

A 90 pound black bear anywhere is not an adult.

According to Wyoming Fish and Game's Black Bear Management plan, boars average 248 pounds and sows average 160 pounds.

I would be quite comfortable hunting black bear with a 25-06 and an Accubond or Barnes TSX. However, on my Idaho bear hunt next month, I will be taking my Savage 7RM, as I have taken a liking to it.

I was over by Sheridan WY last Sept talking to a game warden he said the largest black bear taken he saw up to that point in the season was around 90 pounds. I think the black bears in western WY average larger than the average in the big horn area. I have been hiking in the big horns for several years the largest I have seen is the size of an average sized German Shepard. The black bears I have seen in the Cody WY area have been noticeably larger.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 17:27
Alright Rusty,

Believe what you want, based on your anecdotal evidence, and a game warden speaking in hyperbole. Ignore the Wyoming F&G study (which included the Bighorns), and claim bears and swine are of the same family.

I am trying to give Glock actual facts about bears, because he seems pretty interested.

BTW,

Taxonomically, black bears are of the family Ursidae, while swine are of the family Suidae.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 17:31
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Alright Rusty,

Believe what you want, based on your anecdotal evidence, and a game warden speaking in hyperbole. Ignore the Wyoming F&G study (which included the Bighorns), and claim bears and swine are of the same family.

I am trying to give Glock actual facts about bears, because he seems pretty interested.

BTW,

Taxonomically, black bears are of the family Ursidae, while swine are of the family Suidae.

Sorry, I should have and meant to say closer in diet and behavior... my bad.

As far as black bears in the big horns. Yes, my bear spottings are far from scientific just observations in the cloud peak wilderness. I guess, that game warden could have been lying I had no reason suspect so. Cloud peak wilderness... NOT an haven for monster black bears or even large ones quite the opposite. ;)

Edited by rustic - April/02/2013 at 18:39

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 17:48
Obi Wan Kenobi,

Sorry about the threadjack.

Are you going to fill us in on the story you're verifying?
-Matt
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 17:56

+1

Seeing it's my 2nd favorite cartridge and I'm always in for a good story.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 18:06
I'm also interested to hear why he is asking.

300S&W its true what you say about their diet, I can imagine one that has only been eating berrys and such will taste much better. Do you shoot males or females?

Edited by Glock - April/02/2013 at 18:12
Regards Chris
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 18:34

In WV the guys I've always dog hunted with have always tried to take a larger male.  Within the past 10yrs or so though the bear population has exploded. That,along with the coyotes,has severly affected our deer population. Now it's any legal bear. 100lbs min and w/o cubs.  I've never taken one without dogs but the past two seasons I've been trying to change that.  Tough to do when competeing with the hounds though.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 18:55
http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2009/02/bear_shot_by_local_handgun_hun.html 
I  think the 25-06 loaded properly would work just fine for the black bear. Ted hit it spot on with shot placement being the key...  You either hunt over bait or have dogs run them down and the shot is going to be reasonably close either way. 

"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 19:53
Don't laugh guys. I was channel surfing Sunday night when I saw a guy sitting in his house with several impressive deer mounts talking. I thought it a show about hunting or something. It was on the channel destination america which has some interesting programs to watch.

Anyway the guy starts talking about he & a buddy of his went hunting in Washington State & that he was a life long hunter ect ect. Anywas to make a long story short the guy said on the show he and a friend were doing some deer & bear hunting that day. About an hour before official sunset  he & his buddy were driving down a dirt road and all of a sudden a giant creature about 7 to 8 feet tall covered in hair weighing about 600lbs steps into an open field just off the road. His friend slammed on the brakes in total shock not knowing what they were looking at. Now on the show I believe he said this creature was 150 yards from them, he cranked his scope up to 16x & he said he made sure is was NOT a bear because it was standing on 2 legs, after looking again with his naked eye he looked through the scope again & said the it wasn't a man in a suit, it was a creature covered with hair & pure muscle. He claimed that his friend who was driving told him NOT to shoot because he thought it was someone in a suit, but he said nobody would believe what they were seeing, so he looked back through his scope & squeezed off a round from his 25.06. He said the "bigfoot" went straight down. It wallowed in the field trying to get up but couldn't. Then all of a sudden out of the tree line 2 more juvenile sasquachs he claimed were cinnamon brown in color stood there confused over the bigger creature that was shot. The bigger one finally manage to make it back to the tree line & the 2 smaller ones followed it.

He then claims that he and his freind drove the truck up to the tree line got out and went in to track the larger "bigfoot". While following a blood trail he said he came across 1 of the juveniles, waited for a few moments, became frightened because it was standing there about 20 yards from him just staring & he said he shot this one directly in the neck. He walked over & became terrified because he could see this creature had human like features & he didn't know what in the hell he had just shot. He claims that his buddy came over & they were both horrified because this thing was human but not human. So they buried it & didn't tell anyone until now. 

This is the reason I was asking about the 25.06. I think this guy is full of BS because Ive never heard anyone hunting bears with that load. The more and more I hear his story, these guys sound like 2 poachers who shot and wounded a sow with her cubs.

His name is Justin Smeja, he's caused a fire storm because he came forward identify himself as the hunter who killed a bigfoot. He's also pissed a lot of people and made hunters & gun owners look bad for killing something that was obviously no threat to him.

I'm just brining this up because it was on tv Sunday night & its been a firestorm about it on you tube and the internet apparently. After seeing and hearing him on you tube his story seems inconsistent with what I saw Sunday night.

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 20:09
Ya, I saw that show the other night its called monsters and mysteries in america on destination HD.
There seems to be all sorts of clowns think'n there is such a thing as bigfoots, yeti's and sasquatch.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 20:18
I hunt most everything with .458...  25-06 is probably good for escargot
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 20:48
With the .458 that is about all that is left of anything shot. Eek
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 20:59

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 21:12
Using a 25-06 for black bear isn't what makes him crazy.
-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 21:23
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

With the .458 that is about all that is left of anything shot. Eek

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 21:32
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 02:28
Did they say at the end off the show, that his Mother was his Sister and his Father was his Grandfather? What a Dumbass
Regards Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic