OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ok how about 25.06 for very large sasquatchs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ok how about 25.06 for very large sasquatchs?
    Posted: April/01/2013 at 21:16
 Can someone enlighten me. I don't own a 25.06 but I've heard great things about the calibur. I've heard of the 25.06 taking everything from havelinas up to mule deer.

I've never heard of anyone hunting bears, black or brown with a 25.06. How likely is that?

The reason I'm asking is because this is going somewhere. I want to see if someone is lying about a particular incident. I just want to see the responses from you guys first. Smile

Edited by Obi Wan Kenobi - April/02/2013 at 19:53
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 21:20
I could see it being used for black bear just fine. For grizzly maybe not.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 06:10
Certainly a bear can be killed with a .25-06... they have been killed with .22LR... and don't forget, at one time humans did not have guns, only stone knives, rocks, spears with and without stone heads... 
as with most things, shot placement is critical.  I would not go hunting bear (under normal circumstances) with a .25-06, but would not hesitate to shoot one with it at need...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 06:26
It wouldn't be my first choice (or second or third or...) to use for bear in NA.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 08:51
True, shot placement is key there is no replacement for it. As for type of bear most black bears shot in the lower 48 are less than 150 pounds.

Going north and west is a bit different. More "gun" seems to be the most common response for the "tourist" hunters as said by Alaskan guides. I would guess the "lowly" 30.06 has killed more dangerous game than most every thing else combined and still the most used by residents. The 25.06 being a necked down 30.06 most likely not a whole lot of them in Alaska, British Columbia, etc.

Would I use one for a black bear in say, the big horns in Wyoming where a very large black bear is 150 pounds... sure. It is more of flat shooting cartridge better suited for open plains deer and such but, as a do all western lower 48 cartridge it is a decent choice.

A safe bet that there are plenty of them out there for almost all north American game.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 09:07
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 09:21

A .25-06 accurately shooting a 115gr Partition at 3200fps is a penatrating combo.  Under the right conditions I'd not be afraid to use it on any bear. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 09:24
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I know, it puts me to sleep too, someone telling some else what to do, shoot, and to buy yadda yadda. ;)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 09:30

But I like spending other peoples money.   Sad
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 09:38
Ha-ha

I don't doubt the 25.06 capabities and that it could kill a bear. Hunting I don't always get those right conditions and don't want to risk being slightly off on my shot hunting something that could kill or eat a part of me if i wound it. That's the reason why I say it wouldn't be one of my top choices, neither would a .270, etc.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 09:57
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Ha-ha

I don't doubt the 25.06 capabities and that it could kill a bear. Hunting I don't always get those right conditions and don't want to risk being slightly off on my shot hunting something that could kill or eat a part of me if i wound it. That's the reason why I say it wouldn't be one of my top choices, neither would a .270, etc.

I agree, I would buy neither. I will stick to my .308 and call it good. I am also perfectly comfortable letting people make their own choices taking their own risks and believing what they want. Far be it for me to tell someone I do not even know what to buy, shoot, and use.

Like here in SD we have seat belt laws and they are pushing for helmet laws... we were just fine for many years without such things.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 10:15
Another thing, in the past most sportsmen had one big game rifle and today the vast majority of sportsmen can afford only one big game rifle most I know are in this boat. I loan my rifles out all the time to those who can't afford 40 rifles - something for every shooting application and 1-2 and 3 thousand dollar euro scopes on top of them.

All the sudden past practices are obsolete??

Edited by rustic - April/02/2013 at 10:44
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 11:24
Would also depend on what ammo you would shoot in said 25.06 as well. I wouldn't want to risk a shot on a bear unless I was using a premium bullet. If you are in a situation where you don't have anything else and the bear is trying to eat you, I would use it. But there are so many better calibres out there for dangerous animals, why not use one of them.

150 pounds is around 75 kilograms I always thought they where much bigger than that, that's around the weight of a Impala male. What will a grizzly weigh?
Regards Chris
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 11:30
Glock,

Black bears vary in weight, of course.

Adult boars in MT seem to run from around 200 to 300 pounds. Some go larger.

From what I gather about the far Northeast US, 400+ pounders aren't entirely uncommon.

Adult grizzly boars in MT go from 500 to 800 pounds. They are big.
-Matt
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 11:59
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Glock,

Black bears vary in weight, of course.

Adult boars in MT seem to run from around 200 to 300 pounds. Some go larger.

From what I gather about the far Northeast US, 400+ pounders aren't entirely uncommon.

Adult grizzly boars in MT go from 500 to 800 pounds. They are big.

Thanks Bitterroot

Still even a 300 pound killing machine, I would definately want more gun then a 25.06. You could make an easy first shot kill, or spend the rest of the hunt washing out your underware if you make a bad one.

Just looked at some photos of Grizzlies, man thats scary. 400kg is around the weight of a massive Kudu Bull, and they dont have massive teeth or claws.

Do you guys eat said bear or is it purely for the trophy?

Edited by Glock - April/02/2013 at 12:10
Regards Chris
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 12:14
The more northwest you go in north america generally the bears are larger and especially on coastal areas - both black and brown. Obviously there no bears in SD but, a couple hours away from here in the big horns of WY there are bears - just black bears though.

They are much smaller than the ones in bitterroot's part of the country its not uncommon for the mule deer to be double the weight of the bears in north central WY.

Most African plains game is classified "thicker skinned" than what we have over here.

Most black bears I have seen in the big horns are around the size of German Shepard - around 70-90 pounds give or take.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 12:20
What state is SD, and do you guys eat said bear or is it purely for the trophy?
Regards Chris
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 12:36
Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

South Dakota - zero dangerous game nor trophy's of anything in this state. I know of some people who eat bear and mountain lion.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 15:51
Black bear is delicious, but it can carry Trichinosis, so it must be cooked or cured thoroughly. Black bears are not vicious killing machines, and neither are grizzly bears for that matter, but griz can be quite dangerous. Both are omnivorous, with the bulk of their diet being vegetation.

The majority of bear attacks are bears surprised or sows with cubs. Bears of any type hunting humans is exceedingly rare, but it has happened, and even recently.

A 90 pound black bear anywhere is not an adult.

According to Wyoming Fish and Game's Black Bear Management plan, boars average 248 pounds and sows average 160 pounds.

I would be quite comfortable hunting black bear with a 25-06 and an Accubond or Barnes TSX. However, on my Idaho bear hunt next month, I will be taking my Savage 7RM, as I have taken a liking to it.
-Matt
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 16:13
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

South Dakota - zero dangerous game nor trophy's of anything in this state. I know of some people who eat bear and mountain lion.

Bear would be on my list of meats I wouldn't want to eat unless I was about to die, along with Elephant, Rhino and all the Cats.
I guess if you are hungry enough you will eat anything though, now if you really want some nice meat try Hippo.

I find it unusual that the States seem to have so much power concerning Laws and such and not the Goverment, a State makes a law and the rest of the people just have to obey it if they cross state lines. Must make for a lot of Homework when you decide to go out of state on a hunting trip.

Here in SA its the Goverment that makes the rules, so it doesn't matter where you go its the same. The provinces all have their own Fauna and Flora branches, so if you go hunting in the Cape and you need a permit for something. You would have to get it there, but that is not a big deal the land owner can get it for you.
Regards Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic