OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reasons to come to Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasons to come to Africa
    Posted: April/01/2013 at 10:12
Here are a few African pics, or should I say reasons to come hunt in Africa

Edited by Glock - April/01/2013 at 10:26
Regards Chris
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 10:15
Magnificent !!!

Peddler Excellent Excellent Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 10:45
Awesome pics! Did you take them?

I hope to one day hunt Africa.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 10:49
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Awesome pics! Did you take them?

I hope to one day hunt Africa.

Unfortunately not I was browsing pics and found them. My camera work is no where near as good as that.
Regards Chris
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 12:20
OK, 'cuz I'm new to the photog hobby, and if you did take those pics, I was about to bother the living sh** outta you with endless questions, my friend!Smile
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 12:44

OK, 'cuz I'm new to the photog hobby, and if you did take those pics, I was about to bother the living sh** outta you with endless questions, my friend!Smile

I know how you feel, my photos aren't very good. But I also need to get a new camera, just not sure which way to go. DSLR is obviously the best way to go, but a bit on the large side to carry in the field, and the small point and shoots photo quality isn't the good. Something I've seen in the bush is you need a long zoom. Or a really good program to zoom in on the photo them self. I'm still looking we are only going in July.
Regards Chris
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 13:02
Having been there once, I will return!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 13:09
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Having been there once, I will return!

Hopefully so RC
Regards Chris
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 13:40
Great Pics Chris Thanks Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 14:32
Terrific pics! Thanks.Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 12:55
Cool pics Glock.
I think the Rhino is saying, "here kitty kitty kitty".
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 13:15
Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

I know how you feel, my photos aren't very good. But I also need to get a new camera, just not sure which way to go. DSLR is obviously the best way to go, but a bit on the large side to carry in the field, and the small point and shoots photo quality isn't the good. Something I've seen in the bush is you need a long zoom. Or a really good program to zoom in on the photo them self. I'm still looking we are only going in July.

I can make some camera recommendations if you give me some idea of what you are looking for in terms of performance and budget.

ILya
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 13:39
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I can make some camera recommendations if you give me some idea of what you are looking for in terms of performance and budget.

ILya

I'll bet Ted would want terrific performance with top quality instruments at an unlimited budget. LOL  Laugh

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 16:11
Thans Iyla

Budget probably not more than $800
Not sure what I need as far as megapixels (dont really print photos)
Decent image quality (not trying to win any competitions)
Good zoom range
Resonably compact and lightweight (carry enough stuff when i hunt)
Viewfinder if possible(outdoor shots in the sun can be difficult)
Good quality make

All the photos I take is when im out hunting so scenery and wildlife, hence the need for good zoom range, my main concern is size and weight. After all i'm carying
Rifle
Rangefinder
Bag with various goodies
Bogpod
Plus I have to push myself round in the wheelchair
Regards Chris
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2013 at 18:29

Thans Iyla

Budget probably not more than $800
Not sure what I need as far as megapixels (dont really print photos)
Decent image quality (not trying to win any competitions)
Good zoom range
Resonably compact and lightweight (carry enough stuff when i hunt)
Viewfinder if possible(outdoor shots in the sun can be difficult)
Good quality make

All the photos I take is when im out hunting so scenery and wildlife, hence the need for good zoom range, my main concern is size and weight. After all i'm carying
Rifle
Rangefinder
Bag with various goodies
Bogpod
Plus I have to push myself round in the wheelchair

Well, the choices are between a 
- system camera: something with interchangeable lenses (DSLR and mirrorless systems cameras)
- high-end point and shoot: an all-in-one camera that is intended for enthusiast.

Point and shoot cameras, even the high end ones, have lower image quality than decent system cameras, but they are often easier to use.  The biggest difference in image quality is in low light situations, so if most of the pictures you take will be in respectable lighting, going with a good quality all-in-one camera is a pretty good option especially since you can get a very long effective telephoto in a compact package.

Two best long zoom all-in-one cameras currently on the market are Panasonic FZ-200 and Fuji X-S1

I am not sure what the prices are in South Africa, but both should within your price range.  Fuji will have a bit better image quality at wide angle, while Panasonic is a little better at telephoto.  Panasonic is also a fair bit more compact and has much better video capabilities.

With system cameras, I like the micro-4/3 standard.  To get the same telephoto reach with one of these, you would need to get either a Panasonic 100-300mm lens or Olympus 75-300mm lens. Both Panasonic and Olympus make a variety of micro-4/3 bodies, some of which are very well priced right now.  I own Panasonic GX-1, personally since they are being phased out and very well priced.

Long term, a system camera is perhaps a better way to go, but you are unlikely to stay within your $800 budget.

Personally, considering the compactness, I would probably get Panasonic FZ-200 all-in-one and learn to use it properly.

ILya
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 04:21
Thanks Ilya

That's really good advice and it makes sense on what you are advising to look for.

These are the cameras I have been looking at the so far, as it falls well with in my budget.

Panasonic FZ 200
Sony DSC-HX200V
Sony DSC-HX20V/B

Are the mirrorless cameras worth the extra money, I'm prepared to save a bit more. If it means buying properly the first time. I don't want to buy twice.
Regards Chris
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 05:00
ExcellentGREAT pictures...  
It's a fantastic continent you are living in. Next time i go down there it will be for hunting.Excellent
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 05:36
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

ExcellentGREAT pictures...  
It's a fantastic continent you are living in. Next time i go down there it will be for hunting.Excellent

Yes Claus I must say we are truly blessed to be living in Africa, not so much for the ecnomy and crime which sucks. But our wildlife and scenery are stunning.
Regards Chris
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 06:00
Regards Chris
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2013 at 06:12
 WOW......
I bet i could break the speed limit with that bunch chasing me Smile
In Kenya we saw a herd of app. 700-800 waterbuffalos we passed real slow in the safari car. It is REAL big animals.

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic