OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold rant!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold rant!
    Posted: April/26/2006 at 15:29

So yesterday I got my brand spanking new Leupold MRT 3x9 with the TMR retical.......I was very exicted, this was my 1st $1k scope, mounted it up on my HK93 and took it to the range 1st thing in the morning.....all was fine for 100rds(223)..........then I noticed a big freakin black chunk of crap inside the scope.......hoped it was just something on the glass but nope.....the FREAKING thing is busted! 1 day old, 100rds and its a total POS!

I took it back to my dealer, he called Leupold, they said send it back...they will repair it! well ya know what? I don't want a repaired scope.........I want a new scope!(but they didn't seem to like that idea)....and  frankly I would rather just have my $$ back and go buy something decent, maybe a Ziess or S&B, maybe an IOR....or even another SS10X.....I can't beleive a $1000 scope would bust in less than 24 hours and 100rds.......its not a real confidence builder.

heck I have 30 year old Hensoldts that work flawlessly....

Not a happy camper and even if they repair or replace I cant say I would ever buy another Leupold. I choose the Leupold partially because they were American made and sorta local(I am in WA, they are in OR) I did not buy the scope from SWFA because I like to keep my money localy(if at all possible), so I got it thru my local LE shop. I did get my SS10X from SWFA and was very happy

OK.......rant off.

John

Heckler Koch and Land Cruiser nut
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2006 at 17:00

Sorry to hear you had a problem guy,

here in Alabama we have a three day no questions asked policy. Unless, you use it for a hammer like one of Chris's costomers did. You break it with your own stupidity you own it, but if its workmanship the dealer has to take it back.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2006 at 17:11
Sould have got it at Wal-mart they have a 100% money back no questions asked.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2006 at 17:46

Every company makes a lemon occasionally. 

While I agree you can do better for your money than Leupold, they did offer to fix it and I am sure they would make it work right given a chance.

ILya

ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2006 at 20:20

Like Koshkin suggests, even Mercedes makes a lemon from time to time.  I would personally try and get an EXCHANGE or get my money back.  Many consumer goods give you a 30 exchange window vs. sending it out for repair and Scope dealers should be no different.  Let Leupold eat the cost and sell your scope as a FACTORY refurb or FACTORY CERTIFIED preowned, like they do with cars.

If you're sour on Leupold, Zeiss and S&B are nice scopes.  S&B has a 30 year warranty on the PMIIs.  Also, within the first 10 years, every S&B PMII owner can send his/her scope in for a free cleaning/tune up/recalibration, for FREE.

You pay for top shelf and you get it.

Chris

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 12:09

If the dealer had it on his shelf I think the dealer should take care of you and take it back.  They made the profit so they can stand the down time to send it back.  There is a chance that it got damaged while in their possession. Did you ask them to refund your money?

If for some reason that doesn't work I will say this you are really lucky it was  a Leupold  - their customer service is much better than most of the other manufacturers. When they get finished fixing it you should not be able to tell it from any other new scope. I have two Leupold Mark 4 LRT scopes and they work just fine.

If you are looking for a lower power scope than a fixed 10x SS think about the 6x42 IOR. Fixed power scopes seem to be more rugged.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Landpimp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 15:52
Dealer did not have it on the shelf it was ordered for me, brand new in the box. I am sure I could get my dealer to refund my $ but IMOP its not my dealers fault, my dealer has also always done me right....and I hate to put him out as its not his fault, if push comes to shove I will.....but would prefer not to.

Leupold refuses to respond to my emails, I have emailed 4 times in 3 days.........NO reply...ZERO ZIP NADA.......customer service my behind! 

My phone call got me no place, they said they would only talk to the dealer.........yeah thats GREAT customer service......as I AM the customer!

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2006 at 14:34

Leupold Product Service - USAPlease contact us at: (800) LEUPOLD. (538-7653)

Jerod Johnson   runs the West coast LE/Military side of the house for Leupold.  Try his e-mail:

jjohnson@leupold.com

Hang in there! ( I sent him an e-mail)

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2006 at 07:50

5-1-06 I got an e-mail back from Jerod Johnson saying that he will be back in town in a couple of days and will check into what is going on.  Please e-mail him the information you have and lets get you hooked up with a working scope.

Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Landpimp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2006 at 08:03
thanks a bunch :)

I am not trying to be a jerk, yeah I am a bit hacked off but I do know that sometimes there can be a problem with any product, I guess I am mostly hacked at the lack customer service.  Just ONE email from Leupold that even acknowleges my problem would be nice.........but to ignore my emails is just bad CS

I really think a 1K scope that breaks in less than 24 hours should be replaced not repaired......I dont think that is asking too much.....is it?

thanks
John

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

5-1-06 I got an e-mail back from Jerod Johnson saying that he will be back in town in a couple of days and will check into what is going on.  Please e-mail him the information you have and lets get you hooked up with a working scope.

Urimaginaryfrnd

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2006 at 21:35
As for the e-mails -  I  think that it is likely that they have a stack of e-mails comming in on many subjests and that they are addressed as time allows, so general e-mail is probably not the best way to address this. However now that you have Jerods personal e-mail its a whole new world because you actually have a persons name who you are dealing with. I am most concerned about the way you say you were treated on the phone and I would have taken the persons name and demanded to talk to their supervisor because I agree that you were not properly treated. Sometimes even a good company gets a bad employee. When you have unsatisfactory business dealings it is a good idea to make a note of the employees name and address the matter with their supervisor.  I also hope that the scope will be replaced, but I honestly believe that even if they fixed it and returned it the scope would look and work exactly the same as a replacemet (and you can be sure they will have gone over every aspect of it). I can't second guess what they will do to make it right but I know they will and would appreciate you sharing the final result with us. I have several expensive Leupolds including two Mark 4s and two VXIII s and I love them.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Landpimp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2006 at 19:56
wish I had good news, but i don't

got my "repaired" scope back monday, took it to the range today......and guess what? 80rds latter and its the same as before.....a chunk of black crap inside it!!!!!

this is BS!!!!!! there is NO excuse for this. I asked for a new scope because I KNEW this would happen again, but no they "repaired" it/

well Leupold is complete junk IMOP........

I did contact Jerod as I did get an email back soon after my last post.......but I guess I need to now.

sorry for the rant.......but I am HACKED off, I have little time to shoot and when I do I like to enjoy myself.......and this is NOT enjoyable........I feel like I should bill Leupold for my time!

Landpimp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2006 at 14:14
I guess its not what you know but who you know :)

emailed Jerod last night......he replied last night that he would get this handled!  I got a call this morning from Chris O'Donnell the head of the LE/Mil divsion of Leupold, I have a NEW scope on the way, he didn't want mine back before he sent it, he said send it when you can(at no charge to me). Both Jerod and Chris were very very nice and apoligized for my problems and lack of suport at Leupold. My new scope may be here friday.......and I pray this one is a keeper.....I am sure it will be.

thanks for the help and for listening to my bitch and moan :)

John
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2006 at 14:18

And the ammunition to re-zero it,  Man I don't know what to tell you.  Contact Jerod and see what he says. I think they need to do more than just repair it at this point. I think I would be telling them this scope is cursed and they need to drive a stake through its heart and send you what you paid for along with a gift certificate to compensate you for your inconvenience. You are not out of line asking that.  Thompson Center sent me a gift certificate for $50. when I wrote them and complained about the plastic power handle attachment for the ram rod and sent photos showing how it cut my hand. They have since then stopped making that part. Karl Chevrolet didn't tighten the drain plug on my truck and I noticed a quart of oil on the ground next morning - so they sent a shop supervisor out who fixed it and gave some coupons for a free oil change and a couple of car washes. The bank my wife works at inconvenienced one of their customers significantly and had to go back and make things right including a $50 visa gift card.

So let us know what they do for you and tell them you are posting it here for other potential customers to see.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2006 at 14:19
Cool  Good Luck  guess we were typing at the same time.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Landpimp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2006 at 19:30
yeah, the ammo, but I can live with that. I think they are also sending a scope cover. And Chris told me if I ever want another Leupold....to get ahold of him.....he would take care of me ;)

I really hope this new scope works out, as this scope really fits my needs and I can't say I have found another(and boy was I looking last night) that will do what I want for this piticular HK its going on.

so I'll cross my fingers(and toes) and hope this new one is a good one........he said if its not.....some heads will roll at Leupold....for some reason I beleive him!

thanks again :)

John
chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2006 at 20:54

Wow,

This is the first, I mean the absolute first time that I have ever heard of a problem with a Leupold.  Most of the time, any of my friend's if they were to ever have a problem, get the retailer involved no matter what.  But since you dealt directly with the CS dept. and were treated rudely.  WOW.  I know it is a bitch, and I would be hot as well, since it seems that lightening struck twice on the same black crap in the scope!!    

Looks as though our American Standards are really slipping down into the toilet !!!

I hope that you get a written apology from them!!

Scott

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2006 at 15:59
Any company can have a problem with a product, but the important thing is the final outcome.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic