OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica, uhhh.....Service?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica, uhhh.....Service?
    Posted: March/31/2013 at 18:48
For all you guys that start whining every time I say something negative about Leica............

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7590930/6
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 20:43
So your point is what? It appears this was just another oppotunity for you to try and dog leica again. Who cares? Why do you feel the need to constantly push this?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 21:15
Public Service Announcement Big Smile.  Lighten up ST, it ain't that big a deal is it?  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 01:55
It sure seems to be to you.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 04:27
So the what did he expect he damaged the lenses, so he can't expect Leica to foot the bill. I had the same issue lent my Trinovid to a freind during a hunt, and got it back with two scratched lenses. He reckons he left them in the Farm owners vechile and didn't use them, so not his fault they are damaged. Farm owner says he didn't touch them, so not his fault.

Contacted Leica Agents in SA they told me it isn't covered by the warranty but they can replace the lenses, but it has to be sent to Germany at my cost. Sent a courier to fetch it informed me when it was back, what the cost was and sent it back to me by courier. Two months and the Bino was back good as new, cost me R2000 to fix it and I couldn't be happier with their CS department. Needless to say I don't hunt with that bloke anymore and don't lend my Binoculars to anyone anymore, my policy now is if you need Binos buy the bloody things.

I bet I can find lots of people who will criticize just about every company under the sun, but I can't say a bad thing about Leica. They make a top notch product and my expeirence with their CS department was excellent

Edited by Glock - April/01/2013 at 04:32
Regards Chris
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 06:31
Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

So the what did he expect he damaged the lenses, so he can't expect Leica to foot the bill. I had the same issue lent my Trinovid to a freind during a hunt, and got it back with two scratched lenses. He reckons he left them in the Farm owners vechile and didn't use them, so not his fault they are damaged. Farm owner says he didn't touch them, so not his fault.

Contacted Leica Agents in SA they told me it isn't covered by the warranty but they can replace the lenses, but it has to be sent to Germany at my cost. Sent a courier to fetch it informed me when it was back, what the cost was and sent it back to me by courier. Two months and the Bino was back good as new, cost me R2000 to fix it and I couldn't be happier with their CS department. Needless to say I don't hunt with that bloke anymore and don't lend my Binoculars to anyone anymore, my policy now is if you need Binos buy the bloody things.

I bet I can find lots of people who will criticize just about every company under the sun, but I can't say a bad thing about Leica. They make a top notch product and my expeirence with their CS department was excellent
Good post, Glock.  Companies like Leica send out tens of thousands of products with relatively few complaints.  Leica is an excellent company with an excellent record.

JGRaider... get off the soapbox... at least on OT.  Your displeasure with Leica is seen and noted.  Your "PSA's" are NOT... cease fire.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 06:56
Thank you for the kind words Kickboxer.
Regards Chris
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 07:31
Geez, over 10 pages of stupid, all I had to do was read the first three posts. Regardless if they were gray market or bought from an authorized dealer what do you expect when you scratch the lenses, of coarse they're not under warranty. The guy's lucky they were willing to work with him and offered to knock 20% of the price. I see nothing wrong with what Leica did. If there's more to the story, who cares, this was a silly thread linked to a worse one; I suspect there was a hidden agenda.

Glock, I would venture to say your experience parallels most who deal with companies with very good customer service. I'm glad I own some of their products. It was a good post!

Edited by mike650 - April/01/2013 at 07:48
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 08:07
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

JGRaider... get off the soapbox... at least on OT.

Thank you very much!
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 08:18
The OP in that thread specifically stated he bought a gray market bino. That's the problem here, plain and simple. Although Leica or any other company has no obligation to fix something that was clearly abused by the owner (the scratched lenses) and therefore not the fault of the mfg, they would have fixed the lenses for free had he purchased the bino under normal retail M.A.P. agreement pricing from an authorized dealer within the US distribution network under their Passport warranty. Leica's US warranty applies ONLY to optics purchased through the normal US distribution network. The big NY camera dealers specifically state in their advertising when they are selling gray market items, as reflected in the price. Anytime you see a significantly discounted price on brand new optics, you're very likely buying a gray market item and you should be suspicious. The same situation applies to many other consumer goods like camera equipment, electronics, etc.

The situation would have been no different with Swarovski or Zeiss. Both of those companies also refuse to honor the warranty on gray market items. This is nothing new. When you knowingly buy a gray market optic, you roll the dice.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 08:19
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Geez, over 10 pages of stupid, all I had to do was read the first three posts. Regardless if they were gray market or bought from an authorized dealer what do you expect when you scratch the lenses, of coarse they're not under warranty. The guy's lucky they were willing to work with him and offered to knock 20% of the price. I see nothing wrong with what Leica did. If there's more to the story, who cares, this was a silly thread linked to a worse one; I suspect there was a hidden agenda.

Glock, I would venture to say your experience parallels most who deal with companies with very good customer service. I'm glad I own some of their products. It was a good post!

Thanks Mike650,Im glad I have a pair if the binoculars as well, they really are excellent.
Regards Chris
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 08:47
Haven't heard this much whining since the elementary PTA meeting.  I could care less what people buy.   Obviously nobody read the whole thread, full of other examples.  Carry on. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 09:11
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I could care less what people buy.   

If that were true, you would stop complaining and whining about Leica every single time they are brought up.  Sometimes you bring them up on your own, and then try to act all neutral and act offended when people question you on it.  It is the same story over and over again.  Once again, we get it.  You don't like their CS.  Others of us have used it and have been extremely happy with them.  just let it be, the Leica trolling is getting old. 

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 09:30
I could care less what people buy......just the way it is. Whether you like it or believe it bothers me none, zero, nada.  I've been blessed and can buy whatever I want.  Just to be clear internet BS doesn't offend me.  Only important stuff is potentially offending, and optics isn't important stuff to me.  I buy the products I trust, and Leica ain't one of them because they're too inconsistent.   Any open minded person can see that.  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 09:52
Again, the same old story.  Give it two weeks and you will bring this up again and we will all be having the same exact argument again.  

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 09:55

I buy the products I trust, and Leica ain't one of them because they're too inconsistent.

How many Leica products have you purchased in your lifetime?
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 10:10
4 in my lifetime.  
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 10:15

4 in my lifetime.

And all four were defective samples?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 10:17
Only 1, plus the replacement was a piece of crap.  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 10:21
I read the whole thread, JG... before you posted it here, in fact.

Still doesn't change the fact the OP purchased a gray market item and had to pay for repairs to damage he caused... as clearly stated in Leica's warranty policies. I correctly pointed out that both Zeiss and Swarovski have the same policies with regards to gray market items. This is nothing new. Buyer beware.

Yes there were other examples in the thread where people said they got screwed by Leica's CS. One example involved a rangefinder (which has a lesser warranty, as is the case for all electronic items, not just from Leica, but also Zeiss and Swaro) that was dropped. The other example was a worn/damaged/defective worm drive in a binocular focuser. Was the rangefinder still under warranty when the damage occurred? On the focuser, was the problem really due to a mfg defect, or were they simply replacing a part with an improved version? Leica improved the feel of their focusing mechanics in later binos, but that doesn't necessarily mean previous versions were "faulty." In both cases, we don't know the specifics of the items in question, how the specific damages may or may not have been covered by warranty, or whether the people in question had an axe to grind, etc. We only have their word to go on. Yes, I know, you can find numerous other examples on the bird and hunting forums. I can search and find examples of unhappy people with any other brand that you think highly of, including Swaro and Leupold. So what? Your mileage may vary.

The issue people have with your post isn't whether or not someone has a legit beef with Leica; it's that, given your post history on the subject of Leica, you seem to have an agenda. You have an obvious hard-on for Leica. Anytime someone has a bad opinion of Leica in any way, you jump on it with great zeal. Yet, there's no shortage of complaints about Leupold, and you defend them to the hilt.

Leica doesn't have the investment in sport optics that Swaro and Zeiss does. They have a different business model, and due to lower volume sports optics sales, they likely don't have the same profitability built in that affords them the same kind of "no questions asked" coverage of a Swaro, Leupold, Vortex, etc. has. I assure you that no exemplary warranty comes for free; it's built in to the retail price. Yes, Leica has a high retail price, but they also have much lower sales volume than their sports optics competitors, so perhaps they can't afford to have the same repair policies as some of their competitors. It's expensive to build high end items in relatively low volume in Germany.

Leica is a boutique product with a devoted following. Their stuff isn't for everyone, and isn't intended to be. If they've carved out the wrong niche and don't satisfy their customers, the market has a way of ferreting that out and punishing them for it unless or until they change. This doesn't necessarily mean they've done anything wrong. Those of us who like and use Leica products are fully aware of the pros and cons of buying their stuff vs. other brands and buy their stuff anyway because we like what they have to offer. Warranty and CS is obviously a hot-button topic to you and is very important to you. That's great. Newsflash: it isn't as big a deal to others. If I really like a product, I will buy it even if the warranty isn't all that great. If I don't like a product as much, the best warranty in the world won't sway my purchase decision. In this case, Leica's US warranty is pretty damn good compared to other consumer products, but they don't have the exemplary CS that Swaro, Leupold, and Vortex does. We all know that going in.

My suggestion to you is to NOT buy any Leica products. I doubt there's a soul here who posts on a regular basis who isn't aware of your distaste for Leica, so I feel certain you can consider that fact "duly noted" and move on to other topics of interest and disinterest.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic