OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8x32 vs 8x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8x32 vs 8x42
    Posted: March/30/2013 at 11:00
still pulling hair out trying to decide on binos lol    .....i went and looked at a local hunting store..they had the meopta meostars and i looked thro the meoptas..swaros..zeiss...i like the meoptas the best....still debating the 10x HD but if i went with an 8x32 or 8x42, is there much difference in lowlight capabilities or resolution in the 32 vs 42??  the 32 is definitely more compact and from what ive researched, better CA control than the 8x...tho some say the 8x will always have better resolution and a more 3D effect
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2013 at 16:15
Originally posted by Robster80 Robster80 wrote:

still debating the 10x HD but if i went with an 8x32 or 8x42, is there much difference in lowlight capabilities or resolution in the 32 vs 42??  the 32 is definitely more compact and from what ive researched, better CA control than the 8x...tho some say the 8x will always have better resolution and a more 3D effect

As far as 32mm vs 42mm, you will do better with the 5.25 mm exit pupil
of the 42mm vs the 4 mm exit pupil of the 32mm in low light.

I think that you meant to say "better CA control than the 10x" rather
than 8x.

8x vs 10x, 8x will give you more 'depth of focus' at the lower magnification.

3D effect is more pronounced with Porro prism binoculars where the
objective lens spacing, between barrels, is farther apart than roof
prims binoculars.

Although lower magnifications in roof prism binoculars also imitate
3D effect.
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2013 at 16:42
yea i knew the 8x has the exit pupil advantage...just reading thro some peoples posts and some say they couldnt tell much difference between the 32 and 42 in lowlight...but u would think with the exit pupil at 5.25  compared to the what, 4.0 EP of the 32, that u would be able to tell a fairly decent difference.....i hate that meopta didnt do an 8x42 HD....thats one reason i was lookni at the 10x42 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2013 at 17:52
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/us/42-mm-series/MeoStar-B1-42mm-binoculars/ctgBus.html

http://swfa.com/Meopta-Meostar-Binoculars-C3070.aspx

Did you look through the non-HD model?

Edited by Bird Watcher - March/30/2013 at 17:59
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2013 at 17:59
i have. in store. they look great
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2013 at 18:48
Now all you have to do is decide IF the non-HD model will do the job for you.
Hiker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2013 at 12:36
I followed the hype on the Zen Ray ED3's 8x43 and thought they were fairly bright binos until I recieved a pair of Nikon 8x32SE's .When compared side by side there was no comparison.The little 8x32's were noticeably brighter and the Zen RAys went back. Now the Nikons were a bit more expensive but well worth it. I compared the new Swaro CL's and still choose the Nikon SE's.Optically the Swaro's were about the same but the ergonomics of the porros for me were much easier to hold steady.
I have had lots of different binos and love trying out different models. Now looking for some 8 or 10 x50's for evening viewing.I can't quite spring for the Swaro 8x50 SLC's new at $1200 ,but have looked thru them in a store and they look really bright. I keep looking on Ebay for deals.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 08:56
To me, for the weight differences today from using lighter materials, I'd go with the 8x42 every time and never look back.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic