OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 16:52
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

50BMG capable?
It should.

Its based on the same chassis of the Fixed SS and they are.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 16:58
20mm capable.

A medium range worker for every application...

DYSWFA 

Just when I thought I didn't "NEED" another scope...

SII Big Sky 4-14 $300 OBO... Plex reticle...any takers?
No one
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 19:39
NICE   -  This is the ideal power range.  Im really glad that it is able to get down as low as 3x on the low end  AWESOME JOB guys.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/30/2013 at 21:31

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
4th_point View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4th_point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 19:45
This is literally the best thing I've heard all year, in terms of optics/firearms/etc.  Can't wait to see this scope. 
1.  Can we pre-order?

2.  I'm still not clear on glass quality, as previously mentioned.  Are we talking SS 3-9x level, or the older fixed-power quality level in terms of resolution and light transmission? 

3.  It sounds like the tube and turrets are from the fixed-power generation of scopes.  Is it made in the same plant?

4.  Any tunnel vision on the low-end, or elsewhere in the magnification range.

Thanks,

Jason
d.id View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.id Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 19:58
After paying off the blood sucking vampires next month (IRS), I'll be all over this.
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 20:12
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Originally posted by Idaho Scot Idaho Scot wrote:

Originally posted by djp0623 djp0623 wrote:

David,

It is, the 3-9 has the same glass as all of the HD models.

Thank you,

Skylar McMahon

SWFA, Inc

400 Century Way Ste 100

Red Oak, Texas 75154

P (972)Scope-It [726-7348]

F (972)617-1647

www.swfa/com

www.swfa-ss.com

www.samplelist.com

www.mil-dot.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:42 PM
To: SWFA
Subject: SS 3-9x42

Is it true that the SS 3-9x42 has the HD optics?

David

I could have swore the 3-9 wasn't HD glass.  It isn't advertised as HD on their site and I was sure I had heard on this forum that it wasn't.  ARe we sure about this? 

Scot

That is an old email.

Does that mean it is not true?  Did the glass change from HD to non_HD?  This is a whole other issue since I made my purchase based on that email.  In any case I'm happy with my 3-9.  If it's not HD glass, then I have something to look forward to in my next scope.

I would like you to put the 3-9 HD glass question to bed.
4th_point View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4th_point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 21:23
I'd be surprised if the SS 3-9x had HD glass.  I know that the 5-20x and 10x-fixed are advertised as HD models, but assumed that the SS 3-9x had "mid-grade" glass for the SWFA line.  SS fixed-power scopes had the normal grade, 5-20x & 10 X had HD, and SS 3-9x was somewhere in-between.  At least that's what I thought.

Now what defines "HD" is another topic!  Maybe someone could give us the technical explaination for what HD means in terms of SS scopes.

I for one would like to hear the answer to your question DJP. 
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 21:54
Originally posted by 4th_point 4th_point wrote:

This is literally the best thing I've heard all year, in terms of optics/firearms/etc.  Can't wait to see this scope. 
1.  Can we pre-order?

2.  I'm still not clear on glass quality, as previously mentioned.  Are we talking SS 3-9x level, or the older fixed-power quality level in terms of resolution and light transmission? 

3.  It sounds like the tube and turrets are from the fixed-power generation of scopes.  Is it made in the same plant?

4.  Any tunnel vision on the low-end, or elsewhere in the magnification range.

Thanks,

Jason

I'll have to get some clarification from above. But......
1. No, they will be available to order in April.
2. Based off the Fixed SS chassis. Glass should be comparable to the SS10X42MQ.
3. I believe so.
4. It's brand new, and there are only two that have gave it a look over.

I'll ask if I can pry one away to take a more in depth look.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 21:57

Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Originally posted by Idaho Scot Idaho Scot wrote:

David,

It is, the 3-9 has the same glass as all of the HD models.

Thank you,

Skylar McMahon

SWFA, Inc

400 Century Way Ste 100

Red Oak, Texas 75154

P (972)Scope-It [726-7348]

F (972)617-1647

www.swfa.com

www.swfa-ss.com

www.samplelist.com

www.mil-dot.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:42 PM
To: SWFA
Subject: SS 3-9x42

Is it true that the SS 3-9x42 has the HD optics?

David

I could have swore the 3-9 wasn't HD glass.  It isn't advertised as HD on their site and I was sure I had heard on this forum that it wasn't.  ARe we sure about this? 

Scot

That is an old email.

Does that mean it is not true?  Did the glass change from HD to non_HD?  This is a whole other issue since I made my purchase based on that email.  In any case I'm happy with my 3-9.  If it's not HD glass, then I have something to look forward to in my next scope.

I would like you to put the 3-9 HD glass question to bed.

The 3-9 is currently produced in the HD factory, but I cannot confirm that the glass is HD. Sorry fellas.
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 23:19
Originally posted by 4th_point 4th_point wrote:

I'd be surprised if the SS 3-9x had HD glass.  I know that the 5-20x and 10x-fixed are advertised as HD models, but assumed that the SS 3-9x had "mid-grade" glass for the SWFA line.  SS fixed-power scopes had the normal grade, 5-20x & 10 X had HD, and SS 3-9x was somewhere in-between.  At least that's what I thought.

Now what defines "HD" is another topic!  Maybe someone could give us the technical explaination for what HD means in terms of SS scopes.

I for one would like to hear the answer to your question DJP. 

this is what I had heard regarding the differences in glass as well. It would have been nice to get the mid level glass in that case but hey who knows I haven't even seen this scope yet maybe I'll be more than happy :-). Still not sure I understand the price point if it is the low end glass and and older turrets but I will hold further judgement until I get some time behind one.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 23:26
Don't let the chassis fool you.

I believe you will be very pleased.
4th_point View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4th_point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 23:42
Thanks for the info Skylar. 
Assuming that this new scope has the same level of toughness to handle heavy recoil, hold zero, remain repeateable, etc.  as the old scopes it should be a winner for the money.  Having all this in a mid-range magnification optic with FFP that's backed by a solid company is just icing on the cake.

I've been racking my brain for several weeks trying to decide on such a scope for less than $1k.  I don't think it exists, other than the SS 3-9x, but I was hoping for a bit more magnification so the new SS 3-15x sounds perfect.  The 3-15x Weaver Tactical looks nice, but its a bit bigger, enough so that I'm hesitant to put it on my light rifle.  Plus I don't think the customer service would be at the same level as SWFA.

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2013 at 06:06
To answer some points:

There is no tunneling at all on lower powers.  Glass quality is in line with the latest of the Classic fixed powered scopes (they're all a bit different so that's not exactly a fixed benchmark) but to my eye looks better than the fixed 16X, for example.  The eye relief is much longer/better making it easier to use and better suited to hard kicking rifles.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 06:55
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

why old school turrets, and not the 3-9/5-20 type.

This one is built off the classic line.  It is not build off the newer HD line.  Being built off the classic line is what makes it $700.  When they put one out off the new HD line, I dare bet it will be in the $1200 to $1500 range. 

then why is the 3-9 $600
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 09:25
Jon A.,

How bout an comparison review between a classic model, the 3-9, and this new 3-15, or just the 3-9 and the 3-15?

Edited by FireEMT5 - March/31/2013 at 15:23
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 11:58
If memory serves me ,in the original 3-9 the HD stood for Heavy Duty not High Def.I beleive High Def usualy means there is some Florite crystal invoved with the glass.Mayby Ilya will chime in & explain the differences!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
c1steve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 16:19
It looks like a lot of scope for the money. However after being spoiled by the HD line from SWFA, I will have to think twice about this model. I look forward to some hands on reviews.

Personally, I would prefer to pay $1,200 and have HD glass plus lower, larger diameter turrets.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 18:47
I bet you all will get the HD so wait and stop complaining, like you will when the HD does get released...

For the others, this is the Classic style which is just fine for the money.

Sure the price goes up we all knew it wasn't going to be the $299 that they have been charging for the last 10 years...

Besides the HD, which scope compares with the internal design for the price point???

Which scope has better features for the money???

Which scope has the warranty of this scope???

Which scope is backed by the people at SWFA and comes with Ben Dover and take it support like they offer?

(By BEN DOVER I mean how many people can you give the crap you give to and kick and complain and point and criticize and they will still strive to put product in your hand that is superior to 99% of the other product out on the market and still take black eyes and smile and be courteous with the posts of "I wish they did this I wish they did that I wanted this feature, why didn't they give me this scope before that, why not bigger this, why not smaller that, why not stop, why not this design. Most of the criticism I have seen on the 3-9 the 1-6 the 5-20, and now the 3-15 is like a nagging wife who after you get done putting in a good days works takes your balls and twists them and slaps you in your face with that one little comment: Why didn't you XXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX????)

Boo Hoo

No one
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 20:08
From the perspective of those that have looked through the 5_20 hd. If a 3_15hd were made, what do you think it would compare with in the current market? Its human nature to want more, so im going to feed this one.
MWDG3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWDG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 12:30
So what's the big complaint with these turrets?

I do like the 3-9/5-20 turrets, never had a Gen 1 SS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic