OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

308 seating depth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy15th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 308 seating depth
    Posted: March/26/2013 at 19:10
i have a 308 and just measured my seating depth by putting sierra 175 mk in a spent case and chambering it, came up with an average of 2.864". then measured a few fed prem gmm 175 sierra mks at an average of 2.817 c.o.a.l. i think that means when i chamber one of those factory rounds i am off the lands by .047" if im figuring right , does that seem to be a long jump or or not, am i doin sumpin wrong? as u may have already surmized i am new to all this.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2013 at 19:19
What type of gun is it?
A lot of factory barrels have long throats..
My rem LTR does but I just load at 2.80 and play with powder.
I have owned several 308s and have been able to get all to shoot extremely well that way.
43.5 to 44.5g of Varget has done the trick in all with 175s.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

fatboy15th View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy15th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2013 at 20:36
its a tikka t3. thanks i will try the same
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2013 at 22:39
I have had a t3 stainless lite and 45.2g with 165 SGK was one hole groups
My buddy had the Varmint model, same thing

With the Tikkas really being a long action you are constricted by mag length as well.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 12:20
My Remmy SS 5R milspec measures 2.094 in the throat I load @ 2.085 using 168 grainers with 43.5 grns Varget & have no problems.Funny part of this is that my Fed Gold Match factory[2.07] shoots just as accurate as my hand loads,go figure.............
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 23:00
Only secant ogive bullets really have given me a need to ever tinker with seating depth. And as mentioned, with a factory throat being pretty long, that's often something you just can't do well or safely. Most any tangent or hybrid ogive bullet will be just fine @ 2.8 OAL in a .308. Just vary the load. Look up "ladder test". I will typically run mine in .4 gr. increments because I can run any 2-grain span with 6 loads, e.g. 43, 43.4, 43.8, 44.2, 44.6, 45 for Varget...looking for pressure signs of course.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic