OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Scope... Opinions needed and welcome!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Scope... Opinions needed and welcome!
    Posted: March/21/2013 at 19:52
I'm in the market for a new hunting scope. I currently have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 with a Rapid Z-600 on my Tikka T3 30-06. I like the scope but just recently had to send it away for some warranty work. I'm starting to go to the range more often an kinda becoming hooked on shooting paper with my buddies. I'd like a higher zoom so that when i'm shooting at 400 yards I can be more confident my point of aim is consistent. I would still like it to be a hunting scope what i will end up carrying for countless miles on foot so i'm thinking no more than 17 or 18 Oz and I worry a little about a hunting rifle with more than 4x as the lowest zoom. I'm also intrigued with the BT and custom BT that are being offered my different manufacturer and opposed to my Z-600. I'm also on the fence about the large objectives and if rising the scope off the barrel will impact my shooting while hunting. I have been eyeing up two Swarvoski's Z5 3.5x18x44 and Z5 5x25x52. Other scope have entered my thinking including the trijicon 5x20x50 but it just seams a little on the heavy side, the Zeiss 4.5x14x44 and 6.5x20x50.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions or opinions on the Above?

Thanks in advance Love the form and the information that can be found in here..
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 20:15
I like general-purpose scopes, too.  Hunting rifles & scopes that'll double as range rifles & scopes.  I don't generally shoot paper, but steel targets, so our particulars there are different, but the main idea is about the same.

It sounds like you're looking for a scope with a wider zoom range (like a 5x or 6x zoom ratio, so 3-15x, 3-18x, etc.).  As far as objective lens diameter, I wonder whether you could use a cheek rest to re-align your eye & scope if you decide to go with something larger.  The larger objective will buy you a few minutes of hunting light at dusk, and will give you a little larger exit pupil on high magnification.  I've decided it's hard to tell what other people will like, since it's not always the same as what I like.  I'm glad my 3-15x has a ~2" (50mm) objective.

I wish you luck in your search, and will be checking in on this thread to see what others have to say, too.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 21:22
VX6 2-12x42 w/CDS and a duplex reticle.  It's almost like cheating.
avery View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 21:23
I guess that would have been a good title "looking for a general purpose scope".... I haven't thought about a check peace, a quick search on google images brings up quite a variety..... Does anyone have any suggestions my stock is the tikka t3 laminate stock....
avery View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 21:47
JGRaider I've thought about the 3-18-44 or 50 vx6 but they never made it to my short list, I have never looked through one but weather it be wrong or right a friend of mine had a vx3 4.5x14x50 I believe and he really didn't like the scope so much so he put in on his 22cal and purchased a elite 6500 in 2.5x16x? Which he like better but end up selling that one as we'll and ended with a 4.5x14x44 conquest, he loves that scope and is trying to convince me it's the scope for me, its why it made the short list above. I know the vx3's price tag is a little lower so its kinda not fair comparing...
jmyner99er View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmyner99er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 22:17
I have the z5 3-18 on a sako a7 in 7mm. I dig the hell out of the set up, the extra magnification through quality glass helped me, as a beginner.

I dont think you can go wrong with swaro imo.
We work on our baby the same way, striving for maximum performace.
avery View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 22:58
Jmyner99er, do you have the BRH or the BT? I purchased a A7 in 300 wsm for my brother for christmass it came with the bruis 3x9 in a package, I think he's goin to change the scope out, his budget is a little less then mine I think he's leaning towards the conquest 4.5x14x44.... How do you like the a7? Are you getting the 5 shot 1 MOA?? I can't Waite to shoot my brother's trying to convince him to get a limb saver before it shoot it...
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 22:58
Can never go wrong with Swaro but for the same price take a look at the Leicas 3.5-14x42.I just picked up one with the new IBS reticle I will be using for paper,gongs & hunting.The Leica glass holds it's own side by side with my Premier hunter!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 07:39
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Can never go wrong with Swaro but for the same price take a look at the Leicas 3.5-14x42.I just picked up one with the new IBS reticle I will be using for paper,gongs & hunting.The Leica glass holds it's own side by side with my Premier hunter!

Excellent choice good glass not to high on the magnifaction, and to my eyes brighter than the Swaro Z5. And you can get it with the asv turret.
Regards Chris
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 07:40
Swarvoski's Z5 3.5x18x44 -  This for the win.

I have one on my 300 WSM and have the ballistic turret as well.  Set off to swaro for a dial and love it.  The mag range is great, glass is superb, and tracks perfect.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
avery View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 09:31
That's one thing I've wondered about, the tracking on BT models.... Has anyone ever had issues with loosing the zero position after frequent used on the BT dial?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 09:38
I've twisted it from one extreme to the other and never had an issue.  I was very hesitant about its "return to zero" when I had the original colored flags on it and it never failed to go back.  I had a 200 yd zero with flags at 250, 300, 350 and it was dead on every time I tested it.  Now with the new turrent I've just got a drop sheet to fill out so I can have more distances.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
avery View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 15:03
SVT_Tactical, that's reassuring thanks.... What is the new turret that you have? Is it an after market turret?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 15:21
avery View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 16:26
I see now you mentioned that before I missed it..... looks like the z5 will be my choice talked with my local hunting supply store today and they will have the two models i'm debating between in next week 3.5x18x44 BT 4W and 5x25x52 BT 4W. I looked through the Leica today as well it was a nice looking scope for sure there was no obvious difference through in the brightly lit store today between it and the Z5 i looked through. I researched the Leica ASV and open the ballistics program powered by G7 and i was not impressed with it. The Swarovski programs seams to be way ahead it that area IMO. The Swarovski (be it a selling feature or not) has its program available for download via iTunes. It also seams that there maybe some concern in potential buyers about weather or not Leica is here to stay i guess some years ago they came out with a Rifle scope line only to close the doors and discontinue the products. They have now decided to give rifle scopes another shot. 

My brother was wondering what the option was on here about a vortex viper HS 4-16x44 compared to similar priced optics?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 22:29
Originally posted by avery avery wrote:

I looked through the Leica today as well it was a nice looking scope for sure there was no obvious difference through in the brightly lit store today between it and the Z5 i looked through.

When evaluating scopes it is best to look through them outdoors in natural light.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2013 at 00:04
Asian scope manufacturers often build their scopes to look good in fluorescent lights but not in natural light, just to sell the scope.

The Leica scope that they sold in the 1990's were built by Leupold, not Leica.  The new ones are built in Germany by Leica!
CDR3
avery View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 00:18
Just to update purchased a z5 5x25x52 BT 4w today, got a good price at a local gun show! Pretty happy cant Waite to mount it and hit the range...... Thanks every one for the advice and tips!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 08:05

Thunbs Up
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 08:36
All's well that ends well in Swaroville,good hunting with it,can never go wrong with a Swaro!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic