OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What gives?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What gives?
    Posted: March/20/2013 at 11:09
So I just got my  4-12 VX-R firedot for my hog rifle and I think I am going to be very happy with this scope.  The technology is about as good as it gets,  and the glass quality is standard Leupold.  Here is the rub.  I have an NCStar Pistolero fixed 4X on a pistol for sale in my shop and I wanted to compare the two 4X to 4X and guess what? the crappy EER NcStar  $40 special is clearer than the VX-R.  Once I got the VX-R dialed in it is very slightly milkier than the NcStar.  I am certain that the slight "milkiness" wont cost me any accuracy or game and it is far from distracting and annoying.  Maybe that is the price you pay for higher variable power range?    
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2013 at 11:22
not being a smart a$$ but maybe you should have your eyes checked.

Ive had a chance to play with the  VX-R scope. Its a much better built scope than any NCStar. Just everything about it is better in every way. The leupold is not gonna fall apart or lose zero.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Adelbridge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2013 at 12:06
I know the NcStar is a piece of crud and it is plagued with glare problems in 90% of shooting situations.  I know the internals cant be compared and I feel good about spending the coin on the Leupold but my eyes dont lie.  brightness is the same but overall clarity goes to NcStar.  again the very slight milkiness is not a hindrance and I see it in just about all variable power scopes.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2013 at 12:11
I would check it again at twilight take them both outside and try to read some street signs with them.  that will really tell.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2013 at 13:27
How did you set your Leupold up? Or how did you adjust it before you compared them? Also how did you compare them? What distance and what were the conditions?
Adelbridge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2013 at 13:57
I am certain twilight will go to Leupold without a doubt.  The eye relief on a quality pistol scope gives up 10 minutes of daylight at  both dusk and dawn so it isnt even fair.  I focused the Leupold and didnt even mount it yet.  I have been playing with scopes out my 6th floor office window. looking from 200 yards to miles.  I am nit picking for certain and have no complaints about my purchase but over and over the fixed 4X Pistolero wins the pepsi challenge.  I see a lot of scope as I sell guns and I test as many scopes as I can. 
Bill_Van View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 15:36
Are you looking through a closed window? If so compared the two looking through an open window..... Sounds silly but makes a difference as the higher quality glass sometimes resolves differently. All my Leupold Mk 4's are simply crystal clear against all but the highest end glass. They hold their own pretty well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic