OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How about a 375 H&H?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How about a 375 H&H?
    Posted: March/18/2013 at 10:10
Hey fellas I just won one of these on an auction. So now I need to invest in a decent scope for it.
Need your suggestions plz.
Price Limit $350.
Could go fixed power or adjustable,
May be used for pigs in Mo, Tx etc as well as a lot of paper. Yeah I know pretty big for a paper killa! But just had to have it and it was cheap.
Also plz suggest mounts and rings for a Mauser bolt action as that what it is.
Thanks all.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 10:22
From www.Samplelist.com

From www. SWFA.com
Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield E1 Rifle Scope Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield E1 Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUR200322
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Ballistic Plex E1 (Red)
  • 1"
$298.95 

Leupold 6x33 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 6x33 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU000633
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$359.95 
Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4302
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 30mm
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$389.95 
Add Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 
Add SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53711.aspx

Mounts -

If it was me I'd put the minox off the sample list in some 1" talleys' and rock on.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 10:50
Fx3 6x42 heavy duplex leupold is a little more but would be my choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 11:15
A 375H&H  for paper-punching?  Though it is an awesome caliber, it might not be what you want or need.  The ammo is expensive and the recoil is - depending on rifle - not pleasant.

If all that is already taken into account, I'd look for a good 3-9 or 1-6.  My 375 currently wears a SS1-4.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 13:27
Being realistic will def be taking a lot of feral hogs with it. But will also be doing a lot of paper killing too. I will reload for this so that will help cut expenses a little bit. Not too concerned with recoil as the guy already put in a compensater. But thanks cuz without that it prolly would not be as fun for as long.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 13:43
Hogs at what range?

With that caliber, you have a little forgiveness in placement.  Will you be hunting thick brush or open fields?  That will be a part of what will work best.

And don't forget your hearing protection.  Lots of hearing protection!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 14:40
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Fx3 6x42 heavy duplex leupold is a little more but would be my choice.

Yeah I love that SWFA but does anybody have any info on when they will start shipping? I have one scope already on back order with them since Feb 2...
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 14:43
^^^OOPS^^^
Meant that for SVT Tactical...
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 14:45
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Hogs at what range?

With that caliber, you have a little forgiveness in placement.  Will you be hunting thick brush or open fields?  That will be a part of what will work best.

And don't forget your hearing protection.  Lots of hearing protection!

I am guessing anything and everything from open country to very close bushy areas. Yep agree big time on the hearing protection...and lots of it!
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 15:10
Hogs at what range?
Well from what I know of the country around there could be about anything. Open country, rolling hills and heavy close brush.
So equating that to range I would say ,100 yards to .300 yards if I can see em that far.Smile
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 15:11
Hard getting used to not having a delete post button....sorry for the dbl posts.
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 15:56
Ok went with the Minx and the Tallys 1", med mounts.
Thanks guys!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 16:03
I think you'll be happy with that choice.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 16:07
Thanks, Im sure I will too.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2013 at 03:46
Got me a Savage Hog Hunter coming in soon.  That is in .338 Win Mag with a 20 inch bbl.  It also has a threaded bbl which will be fitted with a  Grizzly muzzle brake.

I am mounting a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 on it.  I thought about the short to medium range mission but also want to reach out.  That is why the 3-10.

The muzzle brake will get the recoil down to about 15 ft lbs at my shoulder.  Very easy.

.338 Win Mag will kill about anything at any range that is even close to reasonable.

Just get a scope that will hold up to the recoil, which is really not that bad.  Big Grin
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2013 at 14:12
Finally got the scope on the rifle and looks good. Now just have to get it out and discharge it...Yippee
Hey Army let us know how you like that combo you are waiting on.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2013 at 16:21
Originally posted by army_eod army_eod wrote:

Got me a Savage Hog Hunter coming in soon.  That is in .338 Win Mag with a 20 inch bbl.  It also has a threaded bbl which will be fitted with a  Grizzly muzzle brake.

I am mounting a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 on it.  I thought about the short to medium range mission but also want to reach out.  That is why the 3-10.

The muzzle brake will get the recoil down to about 15 ft lbs at my shoulder.  Very easy.

.338 Win Mag will kill about anything at any range that is even close to reasonable.

Just get a scope that will hold up to the recoil, which is really not that bad.  Big Grin

Wear plugs and muffs with the brake.

Peddler
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2013 at 20:00
Originally posted by gtomk gtomk wrote:

Finally got the scope on the rifle and looks good. Now just have to get it out and discharge it...Yippee
Hey Army let us know how you like that combo you are waiting on.

Hey..I have the scope, mounts and rifle.  The muzzle brake should be here in a couple of days.  Probably this weekend I will put it together and put some photos up here.

then to the range..
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
gtomk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtomk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 17:55
How did this work out for you army?
I still have not had the chance to do anyu shooting with mine.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 18:00
guess I forgot to post.  Using the M-41 muzzle brake from Precision it shoots like a dream.  Recoils like a 243 Win with no muzzle rise.  Accurate as hell.  Pretty amazing rifle.

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic