OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Update from Denmark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update from Denmark
    Posted: March/17/2013 at 10:04
HowdyHi you all.
I haven't spend much time here for quite some time now. Some of you have send me mails to hear if i was dead and gone, thanks for your Emails i'm still alive and kickin'.
Since the last time i was active on OT a lot of things happened. 
Over here the crises are still having a huge impact on our lives. A lot of busines is closing down and going bankrupt, exactly like you know it over there. So far i'm still in business but i don't know for how long. We all hope and prey for a better tomorow. Enough about that...

Some of you might remember we made another lake.
We had a lot of problems with the one end as i damned it op app. 2 meters ( around 6 ft.) The damn broke several places  as it couldn't handle the pressure, so i lowered the water level, rented a little digger on belts and spend a day making the damn wider and stronger.

That turned out pretty good if i can say that myself Smile
Last spring we planned it all out and made a flowerbed / food plot around it. The plant were a mix of flowers that attracted the insects which were ment as food for the Phesants and others chickens, when they grow older they can better handle to eat the seeds the flowers drop. 
Also there was plants the deer like in the mix. Now THAT worked..... We have never had that many phesants before. We even have , the danish kind of Quail here. They are about to extinkt cause the farmland is being driven very tight so they don't have good conditions to survive. It would be fantastic if we can make them breed here, time will show.

The lake when we made it..

This is 10 months later

I also made a long food plot across the fields with a different mix that was taller. The deer loved it cause they could eat and hide in it. The plot were connecting the old and the new lake. It also followed the curves on the plantation we made a couple of years ago. 
The plantation comes along very well and it get a lot of TLC from my hand. I have no fence around it so the deer are having free acces to it. That caused some problems as they ate the trees and bushes. I found a Swedish product to put on the trees so they taste awfull ( believe me it DOES... ) So i amuse myself four times a year "painting" the trees. It usually takes me a day and a half, a sore back and thies that are no good for three days Crutch ha ha.

Here's the other food plot:

Last year i got tired of hearing the old lady singing the same song over and over again : I wan't a veggiegarden - I want a veggiegarden - I want a veggiegarden - I want a veggiegarden - I want a veggiegarden.  So i went to the store and bought supplyes.  It turned out like this.

Now she's happy and we get the best veggies Wink

Last year we sold the tractor and all the old tools for it. The reason for that was that, i dont really need all the heavy equipment, i have some neighbours that are willing to help when it's needet to use a plow etc. etc.
Instead we bought a Teddy that is supposed to take care of the trail cutting, tilling, and towing the food trailer, when i am going to bring the foodbarrels to the ducks.
It's a 700 ccm Yamaha Grizzly.

A couple of weeks ago i got a little tired of looking at my Tikka T3 so i pimped it up a bit, with a Mossy Oak gun wrap. I like it a lot better now.
Before it looked like this:

Now it looks like this:

I am still using my trail cams 24/7. Unfortunately all the real good bucks left the area the same minute my neighbour put up a windmill... Now i can't say 100% that the mill is the reason, but within one week after it came up i didn't see any bucks at all.  Now there is comming deer once in a while but not every day as before, and not any of the big ones at all. I used to have some pretty good "christmas trees" here.
I have found the one i'll go for this year. Here he is:

Not a big buck yet, but he is the biggest around at the moment. Well.... There is still time to May 16th when the season begins.

All right guys that was a little "update" on what i have been up to since the last time. I'll try to pop inn more frequently from now on.
HowdyYippeeHowdy

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2013 at 10:45
You have done quite well on the property Claus. Having feed and cover in one plot is great and the veggie garden is well done. Congratulations and great post.
Doug
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2013 at 11:07
The lush growth of flowers you have around the pond make for a picturesque setting. I can relate on the amount of work needed for a pond. I have been working on enlarging my pond over the last year. Extreme drought has delayed the pond from filling. I don't think I have ever seen such black rich soil. You are lucky.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2013 at 11:38
Wow, that was very entertaining Claus, sounds like life is good!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2013 at 12:31
Great to see someone taking a real stewardship interest in the land.  Congrats Claus your payoffs will far exceed your sore back! Well done.
God save the Empire!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2013 at 12:34
Very interesting read. Although looks don't usually tell the story, that appears to be nice, rich, black, loamy soil. We could sure use some of that where I live. All we have is sand...which is devoid of most organic matter. Veggies look yummy. Very pretty piece of land Sir!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2013 at 17:41
Thanks for your post, Claus. Interesting reading! You've been very busy lately, friend! Nice work on the property!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 04:22
Excellent Claus stunning looking country side, wish I had a property like that. I wish you all the best with your endeavore.
Regards Chris
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 07:36
It turned out beautiful Claus.  Not only a great fowl and deer habitant but also a beautiful raised garden too!  Nothing better than a happy wife and fresh veggies!!!! Excellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2013 at 08:04
NIce Claus.  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2013 at 08:08
Thank you for the nice words. Smile

About the black soil i can tell you that it looks fantastic, but it is very very sour. I had to enrich it before getting along with the project.

Ric: Well i know you have a lot of sand instead good soil, on the other hand you have a lot of nice sunshineCool, when i look out the window, right now, the snow is hammering down. 

In the pond/lake area the soil is soft,black and loose. 
In the area where we made the plantation we couldnt dig with a spade, cause it was mostly clay. We had to drill the holes and put some good soil in there to plant in. I was very exited to see how the plants were doing, but i didn't have to worry. Pretty much all of it came very fine.Thunbs Up
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2013 at 10:27
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Thank you for the nice words. Smile

About the black soil i can tell you that it looks fantastic, but it is very very sour. I had to enrich it before getting along with the project.

Ric: Well i know you have a lot of sand instead good soil, on the other hand you have a lot of nice sunshineCool, when i look out the window, right now, the snow is hammering down. 

In the pond/lake area the soil is soft,black and loose. 
In the area where we made the plantation we couldnt dig with a spade, cause it was mostly clay. We had to drill the holes and put some good soil in there to plant in. I was very exited to see how the plants were doing, but i didn't have to worry. Pretty much all of it came very fine.Thunbs Up

So, what is the pH of that sour soil? Most areas around here have soil pH values in the area of 5.5-6.5... which is quite decent for good plant growth and development. I'm thinking some lime (ie. Dolomite) would be helpful??? Sorry about the snow...were are sitting about 82 right now. Just came in from fertilizing some ornamentals and citrus trees.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2013 at 10:39
I can't remember the numbers anymore, i had a farmer to make the test, but i remember he told me that it was way to sour for the seeds. We did give it quite a bit of Dolomite and some fertelizer too. Aparently it was good enough cause it all came up like i hoped for. Big Smile
82degrees?? Huh.... Lucky you... Wink
In half an hour i'll go home to the farm and call it a day.

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2013 at 16:31
Nice to see you back Claus.Great pics ,a nice story & looks like lots of hard work paid off Excellent

Hope to see you back here again soon!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2013 at 21:12
Nice update, Claus. Thanks for sharing all the news and pictures.
Reaction time is a factor...
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2013 at 21:52
Nice to hear your well and good, Claus! Great job on the property!!ExcellentExcellent
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic