OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

GSG 1911 .22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GSG 1911 .22
    Posted: March/15/2013 at 14:24
So I bought one of these yesterday and have shot around 200 rounds out of it now.  What an awesome little .22.  It weights about the same as my Kimber Tactical and the sucker runs flawlessly with Thunderbolt and Wildcat .22 ammo.

It seems crazy accurate for a little .22. 

If you are in the market for a .22 1911, I would definitely check this one out. 

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 15:37
I have the exact same pistol, and I agree with your appraisal. I love it!

GSG is also the OEM for the Sig Sauer 1911-22.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 15:57
Got one two wks ago. Accurate, smooth as glass and the worst thing to ever happen to my 22lr reserve.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 16:53
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I have the exact same pistol, and I agree with your appraisal. I love it!

GSG is also the OEM for the Sig Sauer 1911-22.

That is good to know! I have not seen a GSG, but I have seen the Sig in my local gun store.

You guys are a real bad influence! Big Smile
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 16:59
Get it, you will love it. 

Really my only gripe is the magazine disconnect safety.  I really hate those things.  I am trying to figure out a way to disable it, but that might be hard based on where it is. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 18:22
To be honest I didn't even know you could get a 1911 in 22lr, but that is a really cool gun
Regards Chris
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 19:06
The Browning 1911-22 is very nice as well, though it's more expensive than the GSG...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/finder.asp?f1=028B
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 21:10
I have been thinking about getting 2 of these for my twins I sold a 38 super and a 38 Special Mid Range at the last Gunshow as well as other stuff.  Got Premium on everything and am thinking that these would be neat to for them to shoot.  Now I have to get permission though.

No one
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 23:31
I've put over 800 rounds through mine, mostly with my Silencerco Sparrow rimfire suppressor, with no mechanical problems.  Mine is the GSG branded for Sig in flat dark earth.  I also have the Colt branded 1911 22  Walther makes for Colt.  Accuracy and reliability for both are similar and excellent with quality ammo.  The Colt/Walther gets the nod for the most accurate copy of a 1911 in appearance and feel in the hand.  The GSG has the price advantage (and you can save about $50 by not paying for the Sig brand on the same gun).  Both of my 1911 22s have functioned reliably with quality ammo in the 1,025 to 1,275 fps velocity range.  Suppressor adapters are available for the Colt/Walther guns also.  Copper plated bullets significantly reduce the cleaning frequency for the actions as well as the suppressor.  Federal brand bulk ammo from the big box stores is plated and almost as reliable as higher grade ammo while the bulk Winchester has been a disappointment in these and several other semi auto pistols with frequent misfires.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2013 at 12:47
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

So I bought one of these yesterday and have shot around 200 rounds out of it now.  What an awesome little .22.  It weights about the same as my Kimber Tactical and the sucker runs flawlessly with Thunderbolt and Wildcat .22 ammo.

It seems crazy accurate for a little .22. 

If you are in the market for a .22 1911, I would definitely check this one out. 

Are they made more compact and lighter than a 45acp 1911? Was just wondering as a 22LR won't have much energy to push the slide back.
Regards Chris
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2013 at 20:10
The slide is light. Dont worry they work just fine

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2013 at 20:48
Neat piece. 

I may have missed this, but how many rounds does the magazine hold? 
(Oops....Meant "magazine clip".)  Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2013 at 20:57

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2013 at 21:20
Are both models threaded??? What threads?
No one
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2013 at 22:53
Yes, all GSG 1911 22 variants have threaded barrels.  GemTech makes adapters for around $40 that screw onto the barrel threads.  About 3/8" of the adapter protrudes beyond the end of the slide/bushing and is threaded 1/2 x 28 which is the common thread pitch for .22 caliber suppressors, muzzle brakes, etc.  It comes with a screw on thread protector.  The pistol includes a wrench to remove the factory thread protector on the barrel under the slide.

The three versions of the Colt 1911 22 also have threaded barrels and 1/2 x 28 adapters are also available for those.  I use the same suppressor, a Silencerco .22 Sparrow, on .17 HMR and .22 WMR Volquartsens, a Colt M4 22 and the 1911 22 pistols.  The Colt pistols come with 12 round or 10 round magazines depending on state laws.  The ten rounders are cheaper, easier to find and the two round block plug can be removed in about 30 seconds. 
pmac36 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmac36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2013 at 17:48
i myself was not aware of this gun but it does seem a little belter. as the man says "keep er lit"!Howdy
long runs the wolf...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2013 at 07:33
I like my S&W 422Big Grin
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
p35bhp55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p35bhp55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 17:28
I have the Sig version. Getting rid of the mag safety is easy, just put a standard 1911 mainspring housing in it's place. You will need all the internals cause the one you take out doesn't match. I bought stainless parts from Brownells for about 15 bucks. Mine wasn't so great with cheapo ammo when I got it, now it's fine. Used a flat housing out of a 1991A1 so now it matches my big boys. BTW if you carry it a bunch plan on being sad about the slide finish, it wears quickly.
More gun laws? Not just no, but HELL NO!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 17:33
Yeah, mine is wearing off already after maybe 50 presentations from my kydex holster.  Thats okay though, I will give it some duracoat if needed.

Thanks for the info on the mainspring housing. 

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 23:09
p35, did the 1991 A1 ms housing require any modification to fit the GSG grip frame?  I tried to slip a 1980s Pachmayr accessory ms housing in mine and the rails were too wide for the grooves in the grip frame so I just reassembled.  My 1911s and the Colt/Walther 1911 22 all have flat ms housings which is what I want on my Sig/GSG.  Also, what internal parts related to the mag safety did you have to remove?  So far the FDE finish on my Sig has held up well with draw and fire drills from a leather Sparks belt holster.  My only nit picks with the piece are the cheesy plastic sights and the magazine safety recognizing that ms housing shape is a personal preference.  I was initially concerned about the one year warranty limit so got over 600 rounds down range as quickly as possible.  All that did was improve reliability and smooth every thing out so I am very happy with it and the bargain price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic